http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVWeGtOcBM
    Yes, exactly so. Wonderful.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Yes, exactly so. Wonderful.
      Yes agreed, although I've put it on my faves to listen again -I never take a work 'all in' first time.

I could hardly hear the orchestra though.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        Thanks Barbirollians and Richard. I have now corrected (and highlighted) my typo in the original post. Please do likewise, Richard.

HS

I wasn't trying to be obnoxious. when I first read the post, I thought you were relating a Hunter Thompson like experience

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          His unsurpassed recording of the rather under-valued HINDEMITH Concerto captured his unique timbre better than many of his other recordings.
          On my long-loved LP of the Strauss concertos and the Hindemith, the last has been long-neglected by me. I put that right today, thanks to you, Tony. What a fine piece, especially the last movement "Very Slow".

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

The Icon box of 4 Cds of his recordings is truly a treasure trove. Not only those one might expect - the Mozart /Strauss and Hindemith concertos but also earlier versions of the Mozart 2 and 4 and Strauss 1 on the old Raoux horn.

A particularly beautiful Nocturne from Midsummer's Night Dream and Beethoven horn sonata too .

Highly recommended.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Duly ordered, Bb. Thanks for that.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

I drove up and down that bit of the A1 north of Hatfield many times in the late 1960s/early1970s and the pain of that accident as I passed that tree has never left me. No-one should die in that way, but especially not one like DB. If one could speak the tongue of trees, there would be tears.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  I drove up and down that bit of the A1 north of Hatfield many times in the late 1960s/early1970s and the pain of that accident as I passed that tree has never left me. No-one should die in that way, but especially not one like DB. If one could speak the tongue of trees, there would be tears.
                  How very moving . Is the tree still there ?

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

It's good to be able to hear him on Desert Island Discs. He mentions motoring as being his hobby.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      The Icon box of 4 Cds of his recordings is truly a treasure trove. Not only those one might expect - the Mozart /Strauss and Hindemith concertos but also earlier versions of the Mozart 2 and 4 and Strauss 1 on the old Raoux horn.

A particularly beautiful Nocturne from Midsummer's Night Dream and Beethoven horn sonata too .

Highly recommended.
                      Well family asked what I wanted for Christmas today. What good timing, this please.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        Well family asked what I wanted for Christmas today. What good timing, this please.
                        It also includes a piece I did not know at all Lennox Berkeley's Horn Trio - a very fine piece and stunningly played .

The fourth disc includes some very fun pieces too such as the Musical Joke recording with Cantelli.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

#38 Barbirollians, many thanks for that, but alas, I dont know if the tree is still there. It is many years since I made that journey.

I just had a rather random but slightly connected thought. I dont know if people still lay flowers at the site, but I hope they do. Many years ago I stole a few days in Venice with an old friend, of whom I would like to see much more, but its difficult to prise her away from her husband. It was February and perishing cold. Doing the sights, we wandered into a church (not difficult in Venice) and it turned out to be the one in which Monteverdi was buried. Four centuries ago, but people still put fresh flowers on his gravestone. I was very moved, in four centuries time I dont think anyone will be laying flowers in my memory.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                            There was an EMI Icons 4 CD box of Dennis issued some time ago - 206 010 2 - it may be still available...
                            A treasure trove. Not least for me because included is the Mozart Divertimento in B flat K270 in an arrangement by my old trumpet teacher at school (bassoonist and important wind musicologist), AC Baines.

Miraculously, Baines could play (and teach) ALL wind instruments. And he was such an ENTHUSIAST. That's the way to learn...

Comment

Working...
                            X