X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Bob Glazebrook, piano-technician, died this May

Listening this evening to PM on Radio 4, I caught iPM the part where Eddie Mair and Jennifer Tracey discuss listeners' messages.

It came as a huge surprise to me to discover mention of Bob Glazebrook who will possibly be well-known to attenders of piano recitals at London's Royal Festival Hall and Queen Elizabeth Hall in the 1970s and 1980s to my certain knowledge. He was Steinway piano-technician and he could often be seen before concerts and at the interval, adjusting the sound of the piano to the artist's wishes.

He was quite approachable and I had several good chats with him and found him to be extremely knowledgeable about pianists, piano music and above all about pianos.

As the BBC programme revealed, Bob found it quite easy to recognise the particular sound of a particular Steinway concert grand, even being able to give the serial number - astonishing.

Anyway it turns out that Bob died at a great age in May this year and as there is no mention of this on google that I can find, I thought I'd hail an important part of London concert life who is no longer amongst us.

'I donate sperm, but not for the money' - one listener tells his story.

http://www.photographersdirect.com/b...imageid=653092 Bob in action for Steinway

Bob Glazebrook piano-technician extraordinaire - thank you!
    Last edited by Guest; 24-08-13, 21:17. Reason: photo link
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Steinway & Sons is very sad to announce the passing of Robert, (Bob) Glazebrook at the age of eighty four. Bob joined Steinway & Sons in November 1947 as an apprentice piano technician. His...

I heard the programme too, very interesting

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      https://www.facebook.com/SteinwaySon...66857430021773

I heard the programme too, very interesting
      Bravo mercs

Comment

Working...
      X