• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Carl Schuricht: under-rated?

A friend writes:

EMI started recording two elderly and not very widely-known conductors in the 1950s. One was Otto Klemperer, who EMI turned into a major international star, and the other was Carl Schuricht, whose EMI recordings of symphonies by Beethoven and Bruckner came and went almost without notice. His entire output has just been released in an ICON box. I think this is yet another illustration of the truth of the premise that one needs more than just an outstanding talent (which Schuricht undoubtedly had) to become a major star and even being on HMV Red Label with EMI behind him Schuricht failed to make any impression.

Thoughts? Worth resurrecting?
  • amateur51

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    A friend writes:

EMI started recording two elderly and not very widely-known conductors in the 1950s. One was Otto Klemperer, who EMI turned into a major international star, and the other was Carl Schuricht, whose EMI recordings of symphonies by Beethoven and Bruckner came and went almost without notice. His entire output has just been released in an ICON box. I think this is yet another illustration of the truth of the premise that one needs more than just an outstanding talent (which Schuricht undoubtedly had) to become a major star and even being on HMV Red Label with EMI behind him Schuricht failed to make any impression.

Thoughts? Worth resurrecting?
    I've enjoyed listening to the Beethoven symphonies on this set and what I've heard of his Bruckner is fine too. Certainly not an also-ran.

Later: There are a further 30 CDs of 'live' performances released as The Carl Schuricht Collection Volumes 1 and 2 by Hänssler

Last edited by Guest; 17-08-13, 09:51. Reason: later addition

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Are these recordings really top drawer. As far as LvB and Bruckner(for that matter), I feel that with these composers, etc, the only reason to buy them is that they are five star or plus but no less than this?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

If you have Schuricht's two LP set of Bruckner's eighth symphony on the original label (ASD 602/3) you are a very lucky person, because its worth an awful lot of money. However, I dont know if that is because it is a great performance, or because it is rare. However, to my lasting frustration I have half the set and I recall being very impressed by the performance of the last two movements. If anyone has a good copy of ASD 602 to spare, I'll part with quite a lot of money to obtain it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Are these recordings really top drawer. As far as LvB and Bruckner(for that matter), I feel that with these composers, etc, the only reason to buy them is that they are five star or plus but no less than this?
          Good question, Bbm. I greatly admire the Schuricht recordings that I own, and I grab any on "special offer" in shops - he has valuable insights into the works of the central Austro-German Symphonic repertoire that are his alone (works of the calibre that he recorded are so immense in their possibilities that this is inevitable with a Musician of Schuricht's sensitivity and vision). In many respects, he is not dissimilar in general outlook to Walter, Krips or even Cluytens - "lacking" (wrong word, but I can't think of an accurate description) the "Spiritual" ploughing of Furtwangler, or the "Fire" of Toscanini, Szell or Reiner - but bringing something else of equal validity: I want to avoid the word "humane", so pretend I haven't mentioned it, a keen sense of the lyricism of even the sternest ideas in a work.

They are by no means the first recordings I think of when asked to come up with one of those Lists of favourite recordings that are so popular on the Forum, but they never fail to satisfy me - for the moments of performance, I'm convinced that "this" is how they "should go", even if they don't knock me out of my seat as other recordings are wont to do.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            They are by no means the first recordings I think of when asked to come up with one of those Lists of favourite recordings that are so popular on the Forum, but they never fail to satisfy me - for the moments of performance, I'm convinced that "this" is how they "should go", even if they don't knock me out of my seat as other recordings are wont to do.
            My thoughts exactly - and

does sound remarkably good, even in non-SACD mode. I also have his Bruckner 3rd - on LP. I think that it also pretty much sank without trace, not long after it was issued. I must admit that I haven't listened to it for a very long time although I remember thinking that it was a very good recording. It seems to be available as a High-Definition Tape Transfer (and on vinyl as a 180g pressing)

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              In many respects, he is not dissimilar in general outlook to Walter, Krips or even Cluytens - "lacking" (wrong word, but I can't think of an accurate description) the "Spiritual" ploughing of Furtwangler, or the "Fire" of Toscanini, Szell or Reiner - but bringing something else of equal validity: I want to avoid the word "humane", so pretend I haven't mentioned it, a keen sense of the lyricism of even the sternest ideas in a work.
              Would other qualities be clarity and transparency, interpretations keen to bring out the different voices of the work (qualities I have also found in other conductors of Austro-German repertoire like Keilberth and Sawallisch)?

A bit OT, I am currently exploring recordings of one of the names you mentioned there, Krips, after my encounter with his quite outstanding recording of Don Giovanni (how did I go through life without listening to this before?!). Anyway there is a Great Symphonies collection available on download for an absurdly low price - perhaps it should be on the Bargains thread.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Knowing of your affection for Delius' music, here's a snippet from yhe wikipedia entry for Carl Schuricht, maestro ...:

"In 1906 he heard Frederick Delius's Sea Drift in Essen with the composer present, and promised to Delius that when he had his own orchestra he would conduct it himself, which he did in Frankfurt with Delius again in the audience. "

And he recorded an entire Beethoven symphony cycle (available in the Schuricht ICON box) with the Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire Paris and I can't think of another such cycle by a French orchestra of that period, with its distinctive sounds.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ICON-Carl-Sc.../dp/B008I15774 - currently under £16 for 8 CDs inc Bruckner symphonies 3, 8 & 9 with the Vienna Philharmonic

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                  Would other qualities be clarity and transparency, interpretations keen to bring out the different voices of the work (qualities I have also found in other conductors of Austro-German repertoire like Keilberth and Sawallisch)?
                  Yes - and thanks for adding Sawallisch. Keilberth's work is greatly under-represented in my collection: as soon as that TESTAMENT Ring cycle is issued at a price that doesn't take my breath away ...
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

I had picked up the Bruckner 8th and 9th from a used disc shop earlier this year and have enjoyed them much. I don't really have any other exposure to this conductor.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Knowing of your affection for Delius' music, here's a snippet from yhe wikipedia entry for Carl Schuricht, maestro ...:

"In 1906 he heard Frederick Delius's Sea Drift in Essen with the composer present, and promised to Delius that when he had his own orchestra he would conduct it himself, which he did in Frankfurt with Delius again in the audience. "

And he recorded an entire Beethoven symphony cycle (available in the Schuricht ICON box) with the Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire Paris and I can't think of another such cycle by a French orchestra of that period, with its distinctive sounds.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ICON-Carl-Sc.../dp/B008I15774 - currently under £16 for 8 CDs inc Bruckner symphonies 3, 8 & 9 with the Vienna Philharmonic
                      thank you ams for that! I does sound like a box that I should think about buying!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Not wishing to be an even bigger bore than usual on this topic, but his Alpine Symphony recording is one of the finest available, with surprisingly good sound for its age.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Not wishing to be an even bigger bore than usual on this topic, but his Alpine Symphony recording is one of the finest available, with surprisingly good sound for its age.
                          I did wonder if I dared to bring it to your attention, EA

I'm very pleased to hear that you approve and that no further expenditure on your part is required

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

I'm very pleased to hear that you approve and that no further expenditure on your part is required
                            (A little expenditure would be interesting nevertheless, as there's been nothing since Frank Shipway's version.)

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

Something, memory perhaps, tells me that one of the reasons Schurict's VPO recordings of Bruckner 8 & 9 were highly praised when they appeared were the clarity, speed and lightness of the interpretations (No 8 took 71 minutes), at a time when Bruckner was always played either in a heavy 'spiritual' manner or a stop-start fiery way. They were an antidote to Furtwangler, Bohm, Knappertsbusch, and the brothers Jochum.

Comment

Working...
                              X