X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
    Here's an inexpensive set which contains the Schubert and various other piano (in this case fortepiano) quintets featuring the double bass, for anyone interested in exploring some byways of early 19th century chamber music. I haven't heard it, so can't vouch for quality, but the repertoire looks interesting - I would particularly like to hear the Ries, as I very much enjoy the Naxos discs of his piano concertos released a few years ago.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/romantic-piano-...sics-4cds.html
    Well spotted, Rolmill. Acquired!

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      Well spotted, Rolmill. Acquired!
      Blimey, that was quick! Hope you will let us know your opinions (of the music and the performances) eventually.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

There can't be too many classical/early romantic works in E flat minor, as one of those Hummel piano quintets is.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          There can't be too many classical/early romantic works in E flat minor, as one of those Hummel piano quintets is.
          True, although there is a fine Haydn piano trio in that heavily flattened key.

Comment

• Rolmill
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Yes, my immediate thought was that this must be a misprint - Hummel's Op.87 is usually referred to as being in E flat major, and the score (and parts) are published with a key signature of three flats which supports this designation. However, the matter is not straightforward - listening again to my own recording (Schubert Ensemble on Hyperion) the piece opens and closes in E flat minor, and this key recurs frequently throughout all of the movements, so it is not quite so clear cut an error as I initially presumed.

Incidentally, the other Hummel piano quintet listed (in D minor) has an opus number which indicates that it is presumably an arrangement of the first piano septet.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              Yes - I just saw this myself. Another gret italian double bass player. What with this news and the demise of Stefano Scodanibbio (a pupil of Grillo, incidentally) last year at the age of 55 and Corrado Canonici's career change from double bass playing and into concert management and production, one might wonder and indeed worry if the Italian virtuoso double bass player might be on the way to becoming something of an endangered species..

Comment

Working...
              X