X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    This is appalling news - somebody stop him!
    It is indeed; I will write to him shortly and try to put this to him in as discreet but firm a way as I can. It's rather like Heifetz deciding to stop performing at the age of 40 or Barenboim choosing to stop conducting at the age of 55...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Thank you - unless (and I hope profoundly that this is not the case) illness is preventing him from playing, there is so great a need for Musicians of his calibre and generosity of spirit, and so little need for yet another "concert manager" that there should be questions raised in the House about why he's even considering such a change of career.

Back OT, there's also Saint-Saens' Septet Op65 for String Quartet, DB, piano and Trumpet - a charming, highly enjoyable piece.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        It is indeed; I will write to him shortly and try to put this to him in as discreet but firm a way as I can. It's rather like Heifetz deciding to stop performing at the age of 40 or Barenboim choosing to stop conducting at the age of 55...
        or suggesting Alan Titchmarsh sticks to gardening.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          or suggesting Alan Titchmarsh sticks to gardening.
          We should surely all do that, en masse - and loudly!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

Nobody so far has mentioned ( unless I've missed the posting) two delightful works by SPOHR: the Octet in E for the very unusual scoring of violin, 2 violas, cello, double bass, clarinet and two horns; and the Nonet in F for wind quintet ( flute, oboe, clarinet, basson and horn), violin, viola, cello and double bass.

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
              Nobody so far has mentioned ( unless I've missed the posting) two delightful works by SPOHR: the Octet in E for the very unusual scoring of violin, 2 violas, cello, double bass, clarinet and two horns; and the Nonet in F for wind quintet ( flute, oboe, clarinet, basson and horn), violin, viola, cello and double bass.
              I was going to mention the Spohr works. A very underrated composer who unfortunately was around during the time of some very stiff opposition.

How I could have mistaken Schubert's Octet and Beethoven's Septet for the quintets for piano and wind by Mozart and LVB are a genuine example of a very senior moment.

My profound apologies and thanks for putting the record right.

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                I was going to mention the Spohr works. A very underrated composer who unfortunately was around during the time of some very stiff opposition.

Has anybody heard the Hummel Piano Septet (Pno, Fl, Ob, Hrn, Vla, cllo, DB? The scoring (no Violin) sounds very interesting. Hummel's Military Septet also uses a DB,

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Another good contribution to the chamber music repertoire including double bass is Berwald's Grand Septet for clarinet, bassoon, horn, violin, viola, cello and DB. I first heard this on the Melos Ensemble ICON set (which I seem to keep mentioning these days )

Comment

• Russ_H
                    • Mar 2012

Has anybody heard the Hummel Piano Septet (Pno, Fl, Ob, Hrn, Vla, cllo, DB? The scoring (no Violin) sounds very interesting. Hummel's Military Septet also uses a DB,
                    Yes, I have this version of the two septets:

The music is mellow and tuneful. Take note, though, that a fortepiano is used, and it sounds rather tinkly,
                    in the manner of fortepianos. Do not expect the sound of a modern piano.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                      I alluded briefly to Spohr in the OP as a "minor composer" who featured the DB in chamber works. Of course, Spohr might not have agreed with the characterization.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Also covered in the OP. I have both the Spohr works and the Hummel in my collection, but I don't think that either composer used the DB anywhere near as imaginatively as Schubert. I guess the Great will always the the Enemy Of The Good.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          Another good contribution to the chamber music repertoire including double bass is Berwald's Grand Septet for clarinet, bassoon, horn, violin, viola, cello and DB. I first heard this on the Melos Ensemble ICON set (which I seem to keep mentioning these days )
                          Interesting, thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out on Spotify.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Russ_H View Post
                            Yes, I have this version of the two septets:

The music is mellow and tuneful. Take note, though, that a fortepiano is used, and it sounds rather tinkly,
                            in the manner of fortepianos. Do not expect the sound of a modern piano.
                            Thanks, Russ. - I'm rather partial to Fortepianos, so will investigate

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

Recent sold-out concert at Ryedale Festival:

Chi-chi Nwanoku (double bass)
                              Christopher Glynn (piano)

Carroll ~ Fantasia
                              Keyper ~ Romance and Rondo
                              Koussevitsky ~ Chanson Triste
                              Hester ~ The Bull Steps Out
                              Leandre ~ Taxi!
                              Bottesini ~ Reverie
                              Walter ~ The Elephant's Gavotte
                              Dragonetti ~ Andante and Rondo

Comment

• Rolmill
                                • Nov 2010

Here's an inexpensive set which contains the Schubert and various other piano (in this case fortepiano) quintets featuring the double bass, for anyone interested in exploring some byways of early 19th century chamber music. I haven't heard it, so can't vouch for quality, but the repertoire looks interesting - I would particularly like to hear the Ries, as I very much enjoy the Naxos discs of his piano concertos released a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X