Recorded Music Societies - Anyone a member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Recorded Music Societies - Anyone a member?

I wonder how many boarders here are members of an RMS? There is a national Federation:

so there is possibly one near you! Seems like a worthwhile thing to share one's music with others?
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    I wonder how many boarders here are members of an RMS? There is a national Federation:

so there is possibly one near you! Seems like a worthwhile thing to share one's music with others?
    There is one near to me. The local newspaper reports what's played during their meetings. No point to join - only dead-white-men's music composed between approx 1700 (if it is Bach or Handel) and 1910 (not more modern than Mahler).

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Hmm!! That's N Wales for you! If you browse the programmes of those societies with web sites some of them are more adventurous but in the main they are somewhat conservative, it will reflect the membership of course, more CFM than LJ! I used to go the nearest one to me and it was a bit that way inclined - no names etc. The ones I've visited in the past, because of subject matter, all in the local Wessex area, have been variable delivery but on the whole quite enjoyable.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

I've belonged to York RMS since 1984 and the society was formed in 1955 (originally as York Gramophone Record Society). This year, after years of dwindling membership, there was a proposal to close it. The proposal was defeated at the AGM and I am now running the society together with a another member. We're hoping to turn around the fortunes of the group with a number of ideas about meeting frequency, venues and programme content.

So if there's anyone out there in York or surrounding area who would be interested in our society activities please PM me.

With regard to the comments about conservative programme content, societies are very much products of their membership. There'd be no point programming an evening of Birtwistle if nobody will come along to listen to it. But if members who want to hear more 'adventurous' music can persuade others of like mind to come to the meetings then that's great and expands the appeal of the society.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

I used to be a member of one in Lowestoft until about 15 years ago, I believe it is still going, from the last reports are read in the local paper, the programmes were fairly lightweight. Though I did successfully widen their horizons with more unusual works which always seemed to go down really well. There is one in Norwich, but its a bit pricey and exclusive from what I've heard from other sources.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I gave a talk to one in Esher a few months ago. Seemed to be functioning quite well. I'm not a member, but I've been to a few of their meetings.

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

I'm not a member, but I have given quite a few talks to recorded music societies in Sheffield, Barnsley, Ilkley, Leeds, and at the Scarborough gathering for the Yorkshire gram. socs. I have to say that they seem in excellent heart, with a reasonably mixed membership (some younger members, about 50/50 men/women), and I've had some really delightful conversations with members - enthusiastic, very knowledgeable and always hospitable. In other words, I'm a fan of RMSs. I'm doing a talk in Ilkley about Copland in November, and something in Scarborough next year - and both provide a nice excuse for a jaunt back up to Yorkshire.

Comment

• Pianoman
                • Jan 2013

I'm a member of the Huddersfield and Barnsley societies, and it's true they are a very friendly, attentive and intelligent bunch. Fair enough - they admit to liking middle-of-the-road stuff, so I tend to joke about my own talks, which always include music by a living composer, generally of the more 'difficult' variety. But it's how you integrate and contrast it; for instance, I'll never forget the reception that Richard Steinitz's illustrated talk on Ligeti was greeted a few years ago; the older people were grumbling in advance, expecting not to like it, when in fact it went down really well, partly due to Richard's approach. There's no way you can attract new younger members these days - I brought a few students along last year and they took one look at the sea of grey heads and never came back ! But at least the outlook is fairly healthy for most of the societies and the FRMS generally.

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                  There's no way you can attract new younger members these days - I brought a few students along last year and they took one look at the sea of grey heads and never came back ! But at least the outlook is fairly healthy for most of the societies and the FRMS generally.
                  I'm sure you're right, Pianoman. I would hope, though, that recorded music societies would appeal to the newly retired or 'empty nesters' who have an interest in classical music and might enjoy listening in a group. I joined the York society when I was 26 and I feel fortunate that I didn't then (nor do now) have any problem sharing a common interest with people older than myself.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

I joined the Lowestoft RMS just before my 17th Birthday I think they had quite a shock when I and my close friend who was and still is a great fan of classical music walked in. Two years later I ended up being the Secretary!

I still remember the 1st programme I gave:
                    Copland: Appalachian Spring, Gershwin: 2nd Rhapsody, Elgar: Serenade for Strings, Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 5

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I see there is one quite close to where I live - not an idea I relish to be honest - what if someone wanted to subject us to an evening of recordings by Sir Neville Marriner ?

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I see there is one quite close to where I live - not an idea I relish to be honest - what if someone wanted to subject us to an evening of recordings by Sir Neville Marriner ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I have a lot of time for Sir Neville & the AoSMiF. My local library had many of their recordings when I was exploring music in my home town and when I moved to London to Uni it was through their recordings of Verklärte Nacht and Apollon musagète that I learned and grew to love these pieces and many others ... so beware! I may turn up at your RMS armed with this one day

Marriner & The Academy: 20th Century Classics. Decca: 4782759. Buy download online. Jack Brymer (clarinet), John Ogdon (piano), John Ogdon (piano) & John Wilbraham (trumpet), Celia Nicklin (cor anglais) & Michael Laird (trumpet), Celia Nicklin (oboe) Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I have a lot of time for Sir Neville & the AoSMiF. My local library had many of their recordings when I was exploring music in my home town and when I moved to London to Uni it was through their recordings of Verklärte Nacht and Apollon musagète that I learned and grew to love these pieces and many others ... so beware! I may turn up at your RMS armed with this one day

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4782759
                            It's a good set. No duff performances and several inspired ones (the Barber and Butterworth, Ives and Copland, and the Strauss and Stravinsky are all very good indeed).

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

I have a lot of time for Sir Neville & the AoSMiF.
                              I too, am51. They had a lot of excellent players (like Iona Brown, Kenneth Sillito, Malcolm Latcham etc) and made some very fine recordings, as did the smaller Chamber Ensemble. It's sometimes forgotten that the style of ensembles like the ASMF and the ECO represented a significant change from the symphony orchestras which were still in the 1960s and well into the 1970s the default for concert and recorded performances of classical (and even baroque) works.

Comment

Working...
                              X