X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Twenty Minutes - Britsh Wagnerism

I found this programme, between Acts 2 and 3 of Gotterdammerung last night , very interesting. Some of the supposed Wagner influences were rather more tenuous than others - Nimrod for example simply because Elgar dedicated it to Jaeger who was German and the idea that a love for Wagner's music was a way of declaring the love that dares not speak its name was somehow quite funny - considering that nowadays a love of musicals is meant to be a similar indicator that someone is gay !

A fascinating programme.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

more on W than perhaps many will want to hear or know
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      more on W than perhaps many will want to hear or know
      Notwithstanding my considerable respect for Callow, I cannot help but harbour a fear that this exercise might unwittingly end up being counter-productive, but I suppose that I oughtn't to prejudge what I've neither seen nor read. Some of the comments on the article hardly deserve to have been published. Chopin was also anti-Semitic, though never as vociferously so as was Wagner at times (and I sometimes wonder if Wagner knew about Chopin's anti-Semitism and, if so, what he might have made of it) yet, like Wagner, Chopin numbered Jews among his friends, not least that other somewhat overlooked bicentenarian, Alkan (and no, I have no idea what Wagner thought of him!)...

Comment

Working...
      X