Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Just one? Today it would probably be the Mono Kempff - more accurately played than Schnabel, but with a lot of Schnabel's wisdom. Tomorrow, I might choose Schnabel, because the insights there remain news. On Monday, it might be Barenboim's EMI set (just to remind me that Barenboim was closer to Beethoven's age when he wrote most of these works than was either Schnabel or Kempff) - and all the time I'd wish Gilels and Pollini had recorded full cycles.

Dream recording? I so wish that my fingers could cope with what I read in these "scores" - to be able to feel the Music in my arms as I play a decent repro Graf or Broadwood!

On seventh thoughts - I'd go for a set I don't know yet - probably Brautigam on BIS: if I'm only allowed one for the rest of my life, let me "start afresh" with them.
    That's a very imaginative and sane summary ferney - many thanks. I agree with all of it and just by way of controversy I'd add the first cycle by Alfred Brendel because that's how I 'learned' these wunderwerke and a lovely cycle by Craig Sheppard in modern sound, all taken 'live' from concerts, that I've grown to admire.

Comment

• Arcades Project

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Ah, Arcades Project, what would you choose though?
      Maurizio Pollini playing period pianos appropriate to the dates of the sonatas (half a dozen instruments, say). Which won't happen .

Can't say. If Pollini ever records the sonatas not in his discography & DG put them in a box probably that. Otherwise Gulda (Orfeo) or András Schiff. But I think Schiff is a minority taste (& the CDs are only available individually. In one fell swoop they would be a very expensive prospect. I got them as they appeared).

Comment

• amateur51

I wish that Murray Perahia would record more Beethoven piano sonatas but I guess that it is a vain hope

Does anyone know the cycle by Louis Lortie?

The studio cycle by Yves Nat is worth investigating as is the ropily recorded set by Dino Ciani.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

In the Beethoven piano sonatas I always reach first for Maurizio Pollini. It's such a shame that he didn't record the complete set.

Comment

• Andrew Preview
            • May 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            As an exercise, if you had to choose just ONE complete LvB piano sonatas, which would it be, and why, in one sentence....

A few names to start the ball rolling;

Ashkenazy, Arrau, Kempff, Barenboim, Kovacevich.......
            Kovacevich - for his unflinching pursuit of the fullest range of emotion in these works, without affectation.

Interesting that you mention Ashkenazy - I don't think I've ever seen much enthusiasm on these boards for his Beethoven. Is he underrated?
            "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
              Interesting that you mention Ashkenazy - I don't think I've ever seen much enthusiasm on these boards for his Beethoven. Is he underrated?
              Stravinsky regarded his 1967 recording of the Hammerklavier very highly.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Stravinsky regarded his 1967 recording of the Hammerklavier very highly.
                Me too!

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
                  Not by me. I'm very keen on the recordings of the sonatas I have by him, especially the performances of op 10 no 3 and op 57. And the discs of the piano trios with Perlman and Harrell are excellent imv.

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

I'm also an admirer of Ashkenazy's Beethoven.

However, Paul Lewis would probably be my overall choice. Can I have his 'Diabelli Variations' as well?

Failing that, Brendel's 70s recordings.
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post

However, Paul Lewis would probably be my overall choice. Can I have his 'Diabelli Variations' as well?

Mine too, possibly because I saw his complete cycle a few years ago - and I think that recordings often work best if they recall live performances.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                        Despite the enthusiastic critical reception it got I really wasn't that impressed with Lewis's Diabelli. It's very decent, very tidy, but not for me that thrilling. (When I bought it I had in the library the old Philips Stephen Bishop, a Symphonica Rosen and Bernard Roberts.)

Since then I've bought the Staier on fortepiano - now that really is something to get excited about!
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                        X