X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven Piano Sonatas; a quick vote

As an exercise, if you had to choose just ONE complete LvB piano sonatas, which would it be, and why, in one sentence....

A few names to start the ball rolling;

Ashkenazy, Arrau, Kempff, Barenboim, Kovacevich.......
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Daniel Barenboim's EMI cycle. Emil Gilels cycle not complete on DG, so I guess that doesn't count?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Michael Korstick, on Oehms. Very well recorded; excitingly played, with more scrupulous attention paid to dynamics and articulation than is often the case; downside is that some slow movements are taken very slowly.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Just one? Today it would probably be the Mono Kempff - more accurately played than Schnabel, but with a lot of Schnabel's wisdom. Tomorrow, I might choose Schnabel, because the insights there remain news. On Monday, it might be Barenboim's EMI set (just to remind me that Barenboim was closer to Beethoven's age when he wrote most of these works than was either Schnabel or Kempff) - and all the time I'd wish Gilels and Pollini had recorded full cycles.

Dream recording? I so wish that my fingers could cope with what I read in these "scores" - to be able to feel the Music in my arms as I play a decent repro Graf or Broadwood!

On seventh thoughts - I'd go for a set I don't know yet - probably Brautigam on BIS: if I'm only allowed one for the rest of my life, let me "start afresh" with them.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

good question.

But I would love to see all the board experts do a "compilation" list of the sonatas...... if THAT didn't keep them busy nothing will !!

Could be my first thread on my return from cyber exile.....
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            ...Emil Gilels cycle not complete on DG, so I guess that doesn't count?
            That would be my choice too. I'd just have ro do without the others.

But my real answer is that I would choose the Associated Board edition of the complete sonatas and play them myself. Despite the inferior end result, it's by tar the most satisfying way to get to know these amazing works.

Comment

• anamnesis

Friedrich Gulda, 1967. A very fine overall performance, though I really would prefer a compilation. Eg, Ronald Brautigam's op 111 is breathtaking, Ashkenazys op 57 is wonderful, Schnabel's op 106 is...well, Schnabel's op 106 :-). The list would go on and on.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Daniel Barenboim's EMI cycle....
                But his later DG cycle - DG or EMI that is the question? No cherry-picking allowed!

It is sometimes an interesting exercise to pare down to the wire - absolute choices. It's like an art exercise in some ways, where give yourself 30 minutes to draw the view, then repeat with only 10 minutes, again with 5 minutes, and finally with 1 minute. So your final marks (choice) really has to be definitive and essential.

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  As an exercise, if you had to choose just ONE complete LvB piano sonatas, which would it be, and why, in one sentence....

A few names to start the ball rolling;

Ashkenazy, Arrau, Kempff, Barenboim, Kovacevich.......
                  Gulda - either the mono set on Decca or the broadcasts on Orfeo. Miraculous playing matched by wonderful concentration and intelligence. Not that other cycles don't have all this, but I find Gulda to be as compelling an intepreter of this music as anyone.

Comment

• Pianoman
                    • Jan 2013

Richard Goode for piano, Ronald Brautigam for fortepiano, so there !

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by anamnesis View Post
                      Friedrich Gulda, 1967. A very fine overall performance, though I really would prefer a compilation. Eg, Ronald Brautigam's op 111 is breathtaking, Ashkenazys op 57 is wonderful, Schnabel's op 106 is...well, Schnabel's op 106 :-). The list would go on and on.
                      Welcome, anamnesis. We look forward to more contributions (memorable ones?)!
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Despite having many different versions of most B sonatas accumulated over some 40 years since my teens, it's only in the last 10 that I've bought complete cycles. Only two, both already acclaimed in this thread: the mono Kempff and Schnabel.

Both are magnificent. Kempff presents really 'finished' performances of enormous wisdom, every detail considered and transmitted precisely through the technique. Schnabel is much more of a walk on the wild side, scalding hot performances that make you feel you're somehow hearing LvB pouring out the newly minted works c1800, imperfections and all. A much grander, heaven-storming, frightening, thrilling experience, though much less integrated and technically impeccable than Kempff and many others no doubt.

I'll pick Schnabel!
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          But his later DG cycle - DG or EMI that is the question? No cherry-picking allowed!

It is sometimes an interesting exercise to pare down to the wire - absolute choices. It's like an art exercise in some ways, where give yourself 30 minutes to draw the view, then repeat with only 10 minutes, again with 5 minutes, and finally with 1 minute. So your final marks (choice) really has to be definitive and essential.
                          Not sure why you include the quote from Bbm, visnick: he seems pretty clear that it's the EMI cherry that he's picked. I agree: there are (of course) fine things in the DG set, but the young man has the edge (technically and interpretively) for me.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I don't think that any one Pianist does equal justice to all 32, and many of my favorite recordings of individual works are from Pianists that never recorded the whole shebang. My favorite cycle is Richard Goode. I also have Arrau and Schnabel. Richter is my favorite for many of the Sontas, pity he never recorded the entire corpus. I have a few of Annie Fischer discs, another worthy contender.

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anamnesis View Post
                              Friedrich Gulda, 1967...
                              That's the one I reach for most often.

Comment

Working...
                              X