X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidP
    • Sep 2024

Film Music Recommendations

Given the paucity of imagination displayed towards film music by Proms planners and concert promoters which works would forum members recommend they include? Perhaps we can encourage them to include something other than the boringly predictable compilations of film themes they usually do. (Perhaps we can also get them to stop 'ghettoising' the music in the form of "Film Music Concerts"!)

As this is the R3 forum I would suggest that these need to be generally referable to the rest of R3's output and they need to be able to stand on their own away from the film (And, for this purpose, I would suggest excluding works which are re-workings of the original score and are essentially separate concert works, e.g. Alexander Nevsky or Sinfonia Antartica).

I'll start with a couple of suggestions of my own.

A common criticism of music from films is that it doesn't follow classical forms and, therefore, is unable to stand on its own away from the film. While this is quite often the case there are exceptions.

Thinking of an entire score I would mention Erich Korngold's music to Kings Row (available on CD on the Varese Sarabande label). As Edward Greenfield's review of the original LP put it: “Korngold's reworking of his melodic fragments throughout is highly imaginative and sufficiently interesting to give the score a life of its own away from the visual images.”

I'd also mention a couple of shorter examples. For the scene in "Sorry, Wrong Number" (to be found on Volume One of Varese Sarabande's 'Franz Waxman: Legends of Hollywood') where the bed-ridden character (played by Barbara Stanwyck) hears the footsteps of her eventual murderer ascending the stairs the composer writes a cue which is a classic passacaglia. Why a passacaglia? Because it allows the music to suggest the heroine’s mounting terror in a way no other form could. The cue not only perfectly ‘complements’ the scene but the music makes perfect sense away from the film.

Thinking of Waxman I'd recommend listening to "The Creation of the Female Monster" (on the relevant CD in The Classic Film Scores series on BMG) from “The Bride of Frankenstein”. This again perfectly complements the scene but effectively stands up on its own.

The Pax Romana scene in Dmitri Tiomkin’s score for “The Fall of the Roman Empire” (on Cloud Nine records) is in form the type of processional piece you can hear in many a Russian opera (Play this to someone who didn’t know the music’s origins and they would never know the difference). Later in the score the Forum scene is basically a sonata rondo (with two main themes and a development section). However, here the limitations film composer's often have to work under make themselves felt in that he has to cut this short to accommodate the next scene/cue.

On the other hand, many of Bernard Herrmann's scores are more difficult to listen to away from the film. (Acting and film-making styles had changed since the so-called 'Golden Age' and the music had to be much more integrated with the images on screen.) Even then you have cues which fulfil their function within the film but stand up very well by themselves. I'm thinking of the scene of Susan Kane's operatic début in Citizen Kane and the pastiche aria Herrmann wrote for it, Salammbo's aria. I remember playing this to some opera-loving friends who had never seen the film and a couple of them instantly asked "Which opera is this from?" (It can be found on Chandos and BMG in the same series mentioned above.)
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I think Herrmann's music for 'North by North West' stands on its own and seems to me to show an affinity with Bruckner.

I'm pretty sure he copied a passage from Bruckner's symphony 0 or had heard it sometime.

Comment

• amateur51

Malcolm Arnold wrote some nifty film scores too, including Bridge Over The River Kwai and Hobson's Choice and the St Trinian's theme.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

I'm not quite sure what "......these need to be generally referable to the rest of R3's output" means

Comment

• DavidP

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Malcolm Arnold wrote some nifty film scores too, including Bridge Over The River Kwai and Hobson's Choice and the St Trinian's theme.
          I was at the Malcolm Arnold festival last October where the theme was "Stage and Screen". One concert had a 15 minute suite from David Copperfield the main theme of which was one of the most spine-tingling I've heard from Arnold. I think both Marco Polo and Chandos have this in their respective catalogues.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by DavidP View Post
            Given the paucity of imagination displayed towards film music by Proms planners and concert promoters which works would forum members recommend they include? Perhaps we can encourage them to include something other than the boringly predictable compilations of film themes they usually do. (Perhaps we can also get them to stop 'ghettoising' the music in the form of "Film Music Concerts"!)

As this is the R3 forum I would suggest that these need to be generally referable to the rest of R3's output and they need to be able to stand on their own away from the film (And, for this purpose, I would suggest excluding works which are re-workings of the original score and are essentially separate concert works, e.g. Alexander Nevsky or Sinfonia Antartica).

I'll start with a couple of suggestions of my own.

A common criticism of music from films is that it doesn't follow classical forms and, therefore, is unable to stand on its own away from the film. While this is quite often the case there are exceptions.

Thinking of an entire score I would mention Erich Korngold's music to Kings Row (available on CD on the Varese Sarabande label). As Edward Greenfield's review of the original LP put it: “Korngold's reworking of his melodic fragments throughout is highly imaginative and sufficiently interesting to give the score a life of its own away from the visual images.”

I'd also mention a couple of shorter examples. For the scene in "Sorry, Wrong Number" (to be found on Volume One of Varese Sarabande's 'Franz Waxman: Legends of Hollywood') where the bed-ridden character (played by Barbara Stanwyck) hears the footsteps of her eventual murderer ascending the stairs the composer writes a cue which is a classic passacaglia. Why a passacaglia? Because it allows the music to suggest the heroine’s mounting terror in a way no other form could. The cue not only perfectly ‘complements’ the scene but the music makes perfect sense away from the film.

Thinking of Waxman I'd recommend listening to "The Creation of the Female Monster" (on the relevant CD in The Classic Film Scores series on BMG) from “The Bride of Frankenstein”. This again perfectly complements the scene but effectively stands up on its own.

The Pax Romana scene in Dmitri Tiomkin’s score for “The Fall of the Roman Empire” (on Cloud Nine records) is in form the type of processional piece you can hear in many a Russian opera (Play this to someone who didn’t know the music’s origins and they would never know the difference). Later in the score the Forum scene is basically a sonata rondo (with two main themes and a development section). However, here the limitations film composer's often have to work under make themselves felt in that he has to cut this short to accommodate the next scene/cue.

On the other hand, many of Bernard Herrmann's scores are more difficult to listen to away from the film. (Acting and film-making styles had changed since the so-called 'Golden Age' and the music had to be much more integrated with the images on screen.) Even then you have cues which fulfil their function within the film but stand up very well by themselves. I'm thinking of the scene of Susan Kane's operatic début in Citizen Kane and the pastiche aria Herrmann wrote for it, Salammbo's aria. I remember playing this to some opera-loving friends who had never seen the film and a couple of them instantly asked "Which opera is this from?" (It can be found on Chandos and BMG in the same series mentioned above.)
            Dear DavidP

When you were kindly offering to steer french frank through her suspected terminal ignorance of film music, and bring her safely into your cornucopia of musical knowledge, I became excited and asked if I could avail myself of your benevolent offer.

You were good enough favour me affirmatively in my request, but placed a condition on the transaction, that I should pm you. For mysterious reasons this condition cannot be met and you appear to remain in that large group of people who desire, but cannot have a pm from the glorious Ludvig van BeefOven.

When I saw that you had opened this new exciting thread felt I like some watcher of the skies When a new planet swims into his ken; Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes He star'd at the Pacific — and all his men Look'd at each other with a wild surmise - silent, upon a peak in Darien.

But quite frankly it's a disappointment. Were you just boasting, or do you have something genuinely educational for us?
            Last edited by Guest; 15-07-13, 19:53.

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Shostakovich's 'Hamlet' perhaps.
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• DavidP

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                I'm not quite sure what "......these need to be generally referable to the rest of R3's output" means
                What I was alluding to was that there have been many 'scores' which are essentially just a series of pop singles strung together. I was merely trying to find a way of excluding those without being too prescriptive.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DavidP View Post
                  The very example I would have chosen:

... this piece was, I believe, arranged for the RCA LP (which I own, as well as the CD reissue that contains additional numbers) by the conductor, Charles Gerhardt: in the film, the work is dissected, arriving to accompany various scenes, then faded out for others. I've always thought that a similar concert piece for Strings could be made from Hermann's Psycho: but I cannot imagine the most famous bit included effectively away from the film, and I think people might feel cheated without it. A decent concert suite could also be made from Barry's Out of Africa score. I also have his own Goldfinger suite, which I first heard when I was about 10: his Harry Palmer Music would work well, too.

Feldman's (unused) score to Something Wild is available on KAIROS (one of their first releases, in fact) and there's always:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DavidP

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    The very example I would have chosen:

... this piece was, I believe, arranged for the RCA LP (which I own, as well as the CD reissue that contains additional numbers) by the conductor, Charles Gerhardt: in the film, the work is dissected, arriving to accompany various scenes, then faded out for others. I've always thought that a similar concert piece for Strings could be made from Hermann's Psycho: but I cannot imagine the most famous bit included effectively away from the film, and I think people might feel cheated without it. A decent concert suite could also be made from Barry's Out of Africa score. I also have his own Goldfinger suite, which I first heard when I was about 10: his Harry Palmer Music would work well, too.

Feldman's (unused) score to Something Wild is available on KAIROS (one of their first releases, in fact) and there's always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnDSyjil4s
                    Ferney, you're right about "The Creation of the Female Monster". Gerhardt - who sadly is no longer with us - had to listen to the original soundtrack in the film and re-construct the piece from there. There is a recording of the majority of the score on Silva Screen where a different 'reconstruction' produces many differences with the Gerhardt version.

Herrmann did record Psycho: A Narrative for Orchestra (essentially selected cues from the complete score). I know what you mean about the music for the 'Shower Scene'. It gets to me every time but how much this has to do with my having seen the film (albeit, years ago) I cannot know for sure. Incidentally, some of the music has it's origins in his Sinfonietta for Strings from 1935 (Written when he briefly experimented with a form serialism).

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

This

is a work of genius IMV

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I am surprised that no-one has gioven Erich von Korngold a thought, especially that magnificent recording on Chandos, of his Sea hawk. Very well played by BBCPO/Rumon Gamba.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I am surprised that no-one has gioven Erich von Korngold a thought, especially that magnificent recording on Chandos, of his Sea hawk. Very well played by BBCPO/Rumon Gamba.
                          He has been mentioned. You probably missed it due to the commotion caused by Austin.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

This is a nice set of RVW film music http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Will...+williams+film

Some of the films are long forgotten I think,but the music well worth hearing IMVHO.

Comment

Working...
                            X