• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

The Development of the Orchestral Horn. A Brief History

Reading the posts on the Prom 4 thread, I was very taken with the interchange between Laurie Watt and Waldhorn (messages #43-46) regarding horn vibrato then and now.

Threatening to go a little off post, but relevent to the discussion. Then, in message #62 Quilisma posted a long and very interesting message on the subject of horn vibrato, styles of playing and the variation between countries.

So I thought it might be interesting for members to learn a little more about the mysteries and legends of that instrument (which we horn players make no attempt to deny!)

So let me start with those messages which first aroused my interest:

LaurieWatt #43
    NOT authentic and not really convincing IMHO
    ...and what about the missing authentic vibrato on horns and trumpets, particularly the horns? The result was very unFrench although I enjoyed the performance immensely and, listened to via my Internet radio, the sound quality and dynamic range of the broadcast was extremely impressive
    Waldhorn #441.
    Thankfully, in 1913 the sort of French horn vibrato which eventually came to be heard in the old Paris Conservatoire orchestra in the 1940s through to the 1960s and even the early 1970s had not yet emerged as part and parcel of 'French style'. The leading player in the early 1900s until the 1930s, E. Vuillermoz, is known to have eschewed vibrato and this can clearly be heard on some of his lovely recordings with piano accompaniment, where his tone is rich, full, darker-hued than his successor Lucien Thevet, and without even a hint of 'wobble'.
    Laurie Watt #45

Thank you for that, err, W; fascinating! I had no idea it was such a recent phenomenon.
    L
    P.S. I had thought the vibrato was a legacy of hunting horn days!
    Waldhorn #44

One can certainly hear the pronounced vibrato of the Parisian 'cors-de-chasses' in a wonderful old Emil Berliner wax cylinder recording from the 1890s but my understanding is that there were two distinct styles: that of the hunting horn, with vibrato, and 'orchestral' style, without vibrato.
    ... and here is where Quilisma #62 appeared

I'm fascinated to read what Waldhorn says about horn (and more generally brass) vibrato, as this coincides precisely with what I had gleaned over the past couple of years: namely, that the allegedly characteristic "French vibrato" was in fact a fairly short-lived phenomenon very much associated with a few specific players in Paris, who came to prominence in the 1930s and dominated in the 1940s and 1950s, but that that style of playing gradually went out of fashion as the 1960s progressed. Also, around 1970 French horn players started moving over from the narrow-bore French-design piston-valve instrument to the medium-bore or wide-bore German-design rotary-valve instrument, thereby joining the global mainstream (in which the only remaining exception is Vienna with its somewhat arcane "third option"). British orchestras had shifted from narrow-bore French-design piston-valve horns to medium-bore or wide-bore German-design rotary-valve instruments a few decades before, roughly between 1930 and 1950, principally because the rotary-valve horns offered greater security and a larger sound before edginess kicks in. (At the beginning of the twentieth century German horn designers had devised a "double horn" in F and B flat, but an equivalent was not introduced for French-style instruments until they were already obsolescent.) But vibrato or no vibrato, it's always worth remembering that, as a legacy of the narrow-bore piston-valve single horn in F, the traditional French conception of horn sound is more focussed, direct and ringing than we hear from some players around the world, without a hint of woofiness, and that this could also be said for the British school of playing at least until the late twentieth century. I suppose the opposite would be the super-wide bouncy castle of plush-mush surround sofa-sound one sometimes hears from unidentified places...

"French vibrato" isn't the only type, though, and as Stravinsky was Russian I should mention "Russian vibrato". If The Rite of Spring had been premièred not in Paris as Le Sacre du printemps but in St Petersburg as Весна священная, how differently would it have sounded? I think I'm right in saying that Russian players used mostly German-style instruments, but again that may not be right. However, Russia is again famous for brass vibrato. I'd love to know when this tradition developed. Was it already the norm by 1913? I have read that it developed earlier than "French vibrato", in which case it may have been one of the influences that produced "French vibrato" (the more celebrated one being jazz). There is a parallel tradition of a "lyrical" vibrato emanating from Prague and certain other places in central Europe (also to be heard in some German orchestras), and this may have fed into the Russian playing style, but also within Russia there are two contrasting traditions: the relatively moderate vibrato of St Petersburg/Petrograd/Leningrad and the positively extreme operatic wobble of Moscow. The latter seems to have been tamed somewhat during Khrushchev's era, but to the world at large Russian brass (especially horns) implies prominent vibrato. Actually, most Russian players "internationalised" their style of playing at least as long ago as the end of the Soviet Union, leaving barely a hint of vibrato and only for soloistic purposes. But when did vibrato BEGIN in Russian playing? Was it always there? Or was it a Soviet-era phenomenon peaking mid-century? As he was composing, what sounds would Stravinsky have expected to hear if he had heard a Russian orchestra playing The Rite of Spring? The questions keep multiplying
    Perhaps at this stage, we should drop the words "french horn" so as not to cofuse anyone. The reference is of course, as Quilisma states, to the narrow bore piston horn, usually pitched in F, but with interchangeable "crooks" in B flat, A, G, E flat, D and C (Going downwards).

The gradual change over from this narrow bore instrument to the wider bore "German" (another misnomer) was probably started at the turn of the twentieth century in this country by the great Adolf Borsdorf, leader of that famous LSO quartet known as "God's own Quartet" for their brilliant ensemble playing.
    So read what Quilisma writes in his first paragraph. I can only add that the change over to the wide bored instrument developed quickly but the Great Aubrey Brain stood out firmly against "...that dreadful euphonium sound" and refused to have them in his section (BBC Symphony Orchestra) for a long time, before being forced to concede.
    His son Dennis performed wonders on the piston horn, including that famous recording of Britten's Serenade with Peter Peers, but even he was placed in the position of having to blend his sound with that of his Philharmonia colleagues and, to Aubrey's disgust, changed to a medium bore rotary valve instrument.

For the moment, I shall leave it there for others to contribute their views and I'm sure that waldhorn, (whose knowledge about horn playing goes back to the time when London was still a Roman Camp ) can no doubt be a lot more informative than I.

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 16-07-13, 06:34.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Not sure how much will be added - but fascinating to re-read. Thanks, HS! :-)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Just a small addition to my original message, in which I wrote:
      Aubrey Brain stood out firmly against "...that dreadful euphonium sound" and refused to have them in his section (BBC Symphony Orchestra) for a long time, before being forced to concede.
      His son Dennis performed wonders on the piston horn, including that famous recording of Britten's Serenade with Peter Peers, but even he was placed in the position of having to blend his sound with that of his Philharmonia colleagues and, to Aubrey's disgust, changed to a medium bore rotary valve instrument.
      In the early days of the Philharmonia, Dennis took his father along to play 2nd horn, but Aubrey, who was sadly crippled after a devastating fall was no longer fit for the task, although still a great teacher, and Dennis was told by Walter Legge that a replacement must be found.

Perhaps this is why Aubrey, tired of bucking the trend and needing an income to support his teaching, bought an instrument, which he showed to me in one of my lessons.

It was a piston horn, made by the French firm of Selmer, but it had a fourth piston, lying horizontally behind the normal three and operated with the thumb, which presumably was an attempt to replicate the 4 rotary valved F/Bb double horn - by then almost universally adopted* in the British orchestras. Whether this was a "double" horn or a "compensator" I'm not sure. Perhaps waldhorn could supply an answer here.

You may notice that I have changed my Avatar to an old photo of me playing on my first instrument at age 14. This is a "French" horn, made by Boosey and Co but with a "compensating arrangement for the piston slides, to correct the tuning discrepancy when the 1st and 3rd pistons are used together.** This arrangement of valves is now common on tubas and the like but was very innovative at the time.

French Frank is probably correct in forecasting that this thread will be of limited appeal, but we shall see.

* An exception was probably the eccentric Farcqesen(?) Cousins, who was 1st horn in the old BBC Scottish orchestra and later in the Yorkshire Symphony orchestra. Possibly waldhorn would have known him from his student days in Manchester?

** The three pistons (or valves) on a brass instrument perform the following functions:

No 1 lowers by a tone
      No 2 lowers by a semitone
      No 3 lowers by a minor third

So 1 + 2 = the same as 3. Does it? Well not quite, because a little more tubing is needed for 1 + 2 to equal the length of 3
      2 +3 lowers by a major 3rd, But the same problem arises, only more so
      1 +3 lowers by a 4th. Even worse
      and 1 +2 +3 is excrutiatingly sharp

You may notice that trumpets have a little ring on top of the 1st and 3rd valve slides. This is so that the player, gripping the instrument with his left hand, can extend those two slides with thumb and fourth finger to add a little more length to the tubing.

Still awake? Well done!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler;312823[B
        **[/B] The three pistons (or valves) on a brass instrument perform the following functions:

No 1 lowers by a tone
        No 2 lowers by a semitone
        No 3 lowers by a minor third

So 1 + 2 = the same as 3. Does it? Well not quite, because a little more tubing is needed for 1 + 2 to equal the length of 3
        2 +3 lowers by a major 3rd, But the same problem arises, only more so
        1 +3 lowers by a 4th. Even worse
        and 1 +2 +3 is excrutiatingly sharp

You may notice that trumpets have a little ring on top of the 1st and 3rd valve slides. This is so that the player, gripping the instrument with his left hand, can extend those two slides with thumb and fourth finger to add a little more length to the tubing.

Still awake? Well done!
        Wide awake, thanks, HS - lots of stuff here of which I was unaware (as a lapsed violinist, I'd always assumed that when you depressed a valve, the pitch went up! ). Can I just clarify that I've got this right - on a Valved instrument, if you don't use the valves, you get the "natural" notes (eg C - F - G - A); press the first valve and these become Bb - Eb - F - G; the second creates B - E - F# - G#; and the third A - D - E - F#? And that to get C#, the player has to use 2 + 3 and adjust the embouchure/hand in bell position? And using 1 + 2 + 3 the result is a sharp tritone from the open notes? And that you can get microtonal alterations from using combinations of valves?

Sorry for the barrage, but these sort of practical technicalities fascinate me.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Many thanks for this HS, fascinating stuff and revealing re: French "style" of playing. The East Europe trend of following the French has stopped as well for the same reasons I suppose. What wonderful sound the horn makes though, especially those Vienna ones - the Strauss concertos by the co-principals with Previn are well worth hearing!!

Years ago I remember listening to some provincial orchestras [ahem, BBC North?] and the horns often cracked but this is not as common nowadays - any reason why?

There is some comment on Dennis Brain's change of instrument in his biography including the fact that it was held together with sticking plaster. Playing technique is also covered in Barry Tuckwell's book

but it doesn't delve deeply into this domain I suppose because it was written a while ago.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            * An exception was probably the eccentric Farcqesen(?) Cousins
            "Tony Catterick and Paul Kampen celebrate the 80th birthday of the redoubtable Farquharson Cousins, who started his career sixty years ago, and is still going strong. Farquharson Cousins himself delivers a clarion call for the F horn to be more widely used. "

British Horn Society archive, Autumn 1997.

(I didn't mean it would be of limited appeal - merely that few would have the technical knowledge to contribute - but one never knows with this place!)
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Is Mr Cousins the eccentric gentleman who slept in a tent in his house, rather than a bed?

I remember hearing about that some time ago

Comment

• Hornspieler
                Late Member
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Wide awake, thanks, HS - lots of stuff here of which I was unaware (as a lapsed violinist, I'd always assumed that when you depressed a valve, the pitch went up! ). Can I just clarify that I've got this right - on a Valved instrument, if you don't use the valves, you get the "natural" notes (eg C - F - G - A); press the first valve and these become Bb - Eb - F - G; the second creates B - E - F# - G#; and the third A - D - E - F#? And that to get C#, the player has to use 2 + 3 and adjust the embouchure/hand in bell position? And using 1 + 2 + 3 the result is a sharp tritone from the open notes? And that you can get microtonal alterations from using combinations of valves?

Sorry for the barrage, but these sort of practical technicalities fascinate me.
                Absolutely right FHG.

Put it another way.
                Depressing the 1st valve is like replacing the F crook with an E flat crook
                2nd valve = E natural crook
                3rd valve = D crook etc,etc.

So on the natural horn of Haydn's day, the player would use the crook relevent to the key of the piece.

So a horn player is always in fact playing the available harmonics of the chosen crook (valve)

So what about C minor? 2 more horns are needed to play the E flats required, so there are also other harmonics available to those horns - an in-tune B flat (7th harmonic)and an in-tune F(11th/12th harmonic). We can now also cover nearly the whole scale of C minor.(and reverting to C major in places)

The Practice was always to write for 1st and 2nd horns in C and 1st and 2nd horns in E flat.

That is why, (for instance) in Brahms' writings, the high solos are all played by the 3rd horn.

... and that is also why, in the modern orchestral horn quartet, both 1st and 3rd horns are treated as Principals and paid accordingly.
                (also free to swap places and occupy the 1st horn chair, by mutual arrangement)

Confused? Ask me a question - or better still, ask waldhorn.

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Many thanks, HS.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

...So what about C minor? 2 more horns are needed to play the E flats required, so there are also other harmonics available to those horns - an in-tune B flat (7th harmonic)and an in-tune F(11th/12th harmonic). We can now also cover nearly the whole scale of C minor.(and reverting to C major in places)

The Practice was always to write for 1st and 2nd horns in C and 1st and 2nd horns in E flat...
                    Which explains why the task Schubert set himself in writing a symphony in B minor proved so difficult, since there were no B crooks in use (at least not routinely) - so he couldn't write for two pairs, and thus he limited himself very greatly. Maybe that encouraged him to use the trombones. Maybe it was part of the reason he never completed the work. I think I'm right in saying the Unfinished is the first symphony in B minor. Of course in just a few years things improved and symphonic composers could explore B minor (Borodin, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Elgar).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Confused? Ask me a question - or better still, ask waldhorn.

You may notice that I have changed my Avatar to an old photo of me playing on my first instrument at age 14. This is a "French" horn, made by Boosey and Co but with a "compensating arrangement for the piston slides, to correct the tuning discrepancy when the 1st and 3rd pistons are used together.** This arrangement of valves is now common on tubas and the like but was very innovative at the time.
                      Any chance you could post a larger copy of the photo on-thread? Those avatars being postage-stamp size make seeing detail rather tricky! Would love to check out your 'compensating arrangement' ! (Sounds rather legalistic...!)

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      (I didn't mean it would be of limited appeal - merely that few would have the technical knowledge to contribute - but one never knows with this place!)
                      Especially where experience tells that absence of knowledge is absolutely no bar to contributions in the Forum !!

For example I know nothing about this and am fascinated by this thread... and more than happy to say so!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

For example I know nothing about this and am fascinated by this thread... and more than happy to say so!
                        Likewise!

Having seen references to the VPO's horns in John Culshaw's book Ring Resounding - should we be listening out for any discernible differences in sonority, tone etc. on September 6?

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Any chance you could post a larger copy of the photo on-thread? Those avatars being postage-stamp size make seeing detail rather tricky! Would love to check out your 'compensating arrangement' ! (Sounds rather legalistic...!)

Especially where experience tells that absence of knowledge is absolutely no bar to contributions in the Forum !!

I know nothing also and have a mental block with transposing instruments - thank goodness the piano doesn't get up to such tricks-and I gave up theory study when it got complicated.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            Having seen references to the VPO's horns in John Culshaw's book Ring Resounding - should we be listening out for any discernible differences in sonority, tone etc. on September 6?
                            Go here:

Vienna Symphonic Library creates high-end orchestral sample libraries and software for professional music productions.

and here:

A short comparison of two different builds of instrument for those who have not seen them together close-up.The remains of my Alexander 103 built in 1954 and...

and here:

The Vienna Horns chamber music ensemble, founded in 2002, is probably the only one of its kind in the world. Its members are the lead hornists of Austrian orchestras, and they all play exclusively the Vienna Horn in F.

even in Vienna they have lady players. Close ups show the horn shape and also one with some plastic retaining clips - to keep the "crook" in place? Glorious sound!

Also see the Siegfried call video here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

from Annamia Eriksson, Roland Berger was never that pretty!!

PS: Sorry about the film music extract [see other contentious thread]

PPS whilst browsing VPO horns I came across this:

Video showing Vienna Horns in F and Wagner Tuben, they are correctly called Wagner TUBEN (TUBE singular) (as in TUBES) and not TUBAS actually. Time and the n...

look at about 4.09 in and notice that the front desks of the firsts are standing up. Why??
                            Last edited by Gordon; 16-07-13, 20:30.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              a mental block with transposing instruments
                              Me too! I learnt trombone in the bass clef (which was the same as my left hand on the piano)... When it came to alto clefs and tenor clefs, I was (and am!) nowhere. I have to write orchestral parts out longhand, all in the bass clef. I don't want to have to play AND think!!!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X