• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Whereas the estimable Percy Thrower never uttered a word about Bartok string quartets or OVPP choral practice.
    Oh, come on, be fair, amsy. Has Tony Pappano ever been on a gardening programme (or a home makeover programme, or a cookery programme, or an antiques programme &c. ad lib.). So why would Percy Thrower pontificate about Bartók?

Oh, I see what you mean ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I have it on good authority that Bartok is tuneless rubbish anyway

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I've never watched a television sports programme in my life, but does the BBC (or other broadcasters) try to make the coverage more approachable in order to attract 'new' viewers? Or do the real enthusiasts enjoy sitting through interminable hours of the game? As far as I can see, the opposite could be true, since Ch4 has just dumped populist John McCririck (probably misspelt) and substituted more serious commentators.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I have it on good authority that Bartok is tuneless rubbish anyway
          I was wondering who was carrying Abu Qatada's bag

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            I've never watched a television sports programme in my life
            Really? I find that hard to believe.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              Really? I find that hard to believe.
              Absolutely true. I went to two football games in my youth and could not escape, but I could always walk out when sport comes on the television. (or switch off if the decision is mine.)

Comment

• Beef Oven

I've never watched a television sports programme in my life, but does the BBC (or other broadcasters) try to make the coverage more approachable in order to attract 'new' viewers? Or do the real enthusiasts enjoy sitting through interminable hours of the game? As far as I can see, the opposite could be true, since Ch4 has just dumped populist John McCririck (probably misspelt) and substituted more serious commentators.
                You've never watched match of the day?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Absolutely true. I went to two football games in my youth and could not escape, but I could always walk out when sport comes on the television. (or switch off if the decision is mine.)
                  Well, each to their own and all that, and apart from Formula One I am not a big sports fan, but you miss out on some incredible moments that way- such as Murray winning Wimbledon today, an afternoon that will go down in sporting history and one that I shall remember for the rest of my days.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    Well, each to their own and all that, and apart from Formula One I am not a big sports fan, but you miss out on some incredible moments that way- such as Murray winning Wimbledon today, an afternoon that will go down in sporting history and one that I shall remember for the rest of my days.
                    We're all different - fortunately. Glad you enjoyed the tennis game.

Comment

Working...
                    X