The end of the Road for over the counter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    we didn't even buy one disc sometimes
    That's why they're going out of business; It's all your fault!
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

I hope Fine Records in Hove isnt 'erstwhile': Julian was still very much in business when I last phoned a month or so ago. Sadly his business partner Ian died recently, but Julian soldiers on. I used to shop there frequently for collectible LPs, but he told me that supplies have mostly dried up, and business these days is mainly CDs.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

My other favourite was a small shop called Drysdale's in Woolwich,then a bus, plus a trolleybus journey from me.

Drysdale's let me buy my first big purchase, Dvorak 4th, now 8th symphony on 78s. I was still at school and bought one disc a week, 6 shillings and 8 pence, I think. It was the Czech Phil with Talich, if I'm correct, and there were about 5 or 6 discs.

Now that's SERVICE for you.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          I hope Fine Records in Hove isnt 'erstwhile': Julian was still very much in business when I last phoned a month or so ago. Sadly his business partner Ian died recently, but Julian soldiers on. I used to shop there frequently for collectible LPs, but he told me that supplies have mostly dried up, and business these days is mainly CDs.
          Ah, my thoughts were crossed there. Apologies. Yes, his business partner, i have known for many years. back in thye days of Brighton Young phil!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Trust that Harold Moores in Great Marlborough Street is still flourishing? So irritating that the refurbishment a year or so ago rendered it so difficult to get up to the top shelves without mountaineering equipment. The layout is also awkward to say the least. Prefer to visit the second hand department downstairs whenever there these days as it's easier to negotiate and some good bargains are to be had.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Trust that Harold Moores in Great Marlborough Street is still flourishing? So irritating that the refurbishment a year or so ago rendered it so difficult to get up to the top shelves without mountaineering equipment. The layout is also awkward to say the least. Prefer to visit the second hand department downstairs whenever there these days as it's easier to negotiate and some good bargains are to be had.
              It is, as happens, Petrushka. High time I took a look in there, as they advertise for CDs in the jazz press.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

There's also a useful s/h selection in the classical section of Foyles in Charing Cross Road.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                  There's also a useful s/h selection in the classical section of Foyles in Charing Cross Road.
                  Indeed there is and one I use whenever I'm London. I've picked up some real bargains there. My favourite classical second hand shop in London is Gramex near Waterloo Station. Can anyone confirm that they do exchange for CD's taken in for sale and on what basis? Do Foyles?
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Indeed there is and one I use whenever I'm London. I've picked up some real bargains there. My favourite classical second hand shop in London is Gramex near Waterloo Station. Can anyone confirm that they do exchange for CD's taken in for sale and on what basis? Do Foyles?
                    Both did, but I'm going back a couple of years now.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

I've never exchanged at Gramex, but they do, or at least make you an offer for unwanted CDs. They believe in fast turnover, so prices are usually very reasonable unless items are real rarities, but that applies mostly to 78s and rare LPs.

Comment

Working...
                      X