X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Question of sound

I wonder if anybody could recommend a particular classical CD that would be suitable as a "test piece" in order to position my speakers and listening chair to gain maximum optimisation; I'm thinking of something where the stereo recorded sound is excellent, where you can really tell that it's good stereo at source, etc...

Thank you.
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

I have three LP test records that were made specifically for this purpose:

Shure Trackability Test Record for Stereo Cartridges. Audio Obstacle Course - era 3. LP code TTR 110

Hi-Fi Sound Stereo Test Record. LP code HFS 75

EMI The Enjoyment of Stereo & how to get the best out of your record playing equipment, by John Borwick. LP code SEOM 6

The only one I've used is the Shure, but they all cover the same ground. Its very boring to listen to, but does the job its supposed to do very well. I'm afraid I dont have any information on CD versions, but I expect they exist. I'm sure any hi-fi shop could provide details. Having got my system set up correctly "in phase" etc for LPs, I havent bothered to re-check for CDs, but maybe I should: can anyone advise?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      I wonder if anybody could recommend a particular classical CD that would be suitable as a "test piece" in order to position my speakers and listening chair to gain maximum optimisation; I'm thinking of something where the stereo recorded sound is excellent, where you can really tell that it's good stereo at source, etc...

Thank you.
      These two are still available:
      CHESKY RECORDS GUIDE TO CRITICAL LISTENING: THE ULTIMATE DEMONSTRATION DISC (CHESKY UD95)
      XLO REFERENCE RECORDINGS TEST AND BURN IN CD (GOLD CD) REF REC.RX-1000)

Both still available on Amazon etc., both feature a wide range of Jazz/Classical tracks, but the XLO has some useful extras to check phase, burn in new components etc... the Chesky is an all-music anthology which usefully lists its examples with titles like transparency, depth, midrange purity, visceral impact (watch yr. volume setting with that one!) The SQ on both is excellent, smooth and seamless but very detailed.

Over the years I've come to feel that soundstaging is capable of almost infinite improvement, at least as much from electronics as speakers... if I try a new component I must admit I tend to use familiar classical recordings rather than test cds, but the two above offer very good tools for repeating, adjusting, etc.

I'd always go to BIS orchestral CDs for 3d staging, natural image focus and dynamic range, too many to mention...many of the original CBSO/Rattle releases from Warwicks Arts Centre offer very good depth, atmosphere and natural imagery too. Images can be too sharp as well as too vague - you don't want them "etched"!

Comment

Working...
      X