X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Am I the only Brahmsian revisionist around here? No-one else got into the splendid Helsingborg/Manze Symphonies?(IRR 4/2012/NS). Loved Mackerras/SCO, Berglund/COE and the great bite and verve of Harnoncourt/Berlin Phil live too...
    Does Chailly fall into the revisionist school ?

Comment

• Hitch
      • Nov 2010

Jaap van Zweden and the Netherlands PO have my ear at the moment.

Comment

• ostuni
        • Nov 2010

There was a lot I liked about Manze's Brahms when I first heard them, though I do remember finding some of the speeds (2nd mvts of 1 & 2) unexpectedly slow. I must re-listen. And yes, I also loved Berglund/COE when it first came out - even more overdue for a re-listen. So far, I've just heard Chailly's 1 & 2, and I think they're absolutely splendid. I just love the sound of that orchestra: quite the best-sounding woodwind principals anywhere, by my reckoning; warm brass, divided violins, rich cellos & basses. And Chailly's phrasing (which I've been much enjoying while listening again to his & Freire's PC1 last week) is full of little felicities which I miss when listening to some other versions.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Apparently, Barbs. But I've been quite unable to discern from the reviews of the Barbican concerts in what way exactly. Anyone clear?

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Did you BBM ? When I last looked surprisingly buying the four CDs of the symphonies separately on Amazon was cheaper than the box.

I know some people find the sound and textures a bit thick but in my opinion they are immensely satisfying performances. The Fourth was the last of them I bought and was sitting unopened on the shelf until a couple of weeks ago . The playing of the BPO is out of this world the sound of those strings gives me goosebumps . The performance of the 4th is propulsive yet has a slow movement of such tenderness .The third movement is truly [I]giocoso[I] and the finale's passacaglia is superbly structured and inexorable .

Very much a library choice I would say - and the Hayden Variations are pretty wonderful too and Nanie a fascinating piece unknown to me .
            Unfortunately not, barbs(other cds have been bought!!), but if the individually selling for a cheaper price then, that is even better, as someone has said in another post that they not had the reissue treatment yet!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I wouldn't have said so - from the live 3rd/D Minor Piano Concerto (with Aimard) on R3 from the Barbican recently I would say that he refreshes the Leipzig tradition ...

Comment

Working...
              X