• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Brahms: Orchestral Music

Since the advent of the Brahms Symphony no.2 thread, people have begun to discuss, other orchestral music, by this master

I have a lot his music, in my collection, but would love to hear of other recordings, that boarders here have, and like to let us know about!

I think, my favourite hasto be the PCs, with Emil Gilels,BPO/Jochum.

As for cycles of his symphonies, other than Abbado, I was wondering about Haitink's on LSO Live?
    Last edited by BBMmk2; 02-06-13, 10:51.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Well, for me, the Violin concerto has 2 great representatives - both of them women. Inevitably, the great Ida Haendel and Anne-Sophie Mutter are my top choices. They really play the piece with abandon and amazing technical security. Obviously, I have many other recordings including all the greats but those two really speak to me.

I also have a BBC Music Magazine of Menuhin and Boult playing it during WW2 in a studio performance. It's a very special disc. (IMHO).
    It still sells on eBay for signiificant sums.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Since the advenbt of the brahms Symphony no.2 thread, p[eople have begun to discuisss, other orchestral music, by this master. I have a lot his music, in my collection, but would love to hear of other recordings, that boarders here have, and like to let us know about!

I think, my favo9urite hasto be the PCs, with Emil Gilels,BPO/Jochum.

As for cycles of his symphonies, other than Abbado, I was wondering about Haitink's on LSO Live?
      It's almost like another language. Do you type with your fists, BBM?
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        It's almost like another language. Do you type with your fists, BBM?
        Thank you Thropps!
        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Thank you Thropps!
          You can't go wrong with the new Klemperer box set, BBM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Symph...ahms+klemperer - only £8.75 from the market place for all the symphonies, the requiem, various overtures and the Alto Rhapsody. In excellent sound, too.

As an aside, and wandering dangerously OT here, Herreweghe's recent account of Brahms choral works with Collegium Vocale Ghent on his own PHI label is stunning:

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

You can't go wrong with the new Klemperer box set, BBM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Symph...ahms+klemperer - only £8.75 from the market place for all the symphonies, the requiem, various overtures and the Alto Rhapsody. In excellent sound, too.

As an aside, and wandering dangerously OT here, Herreweghe's recent account of Brahms choral works with Collegium Vocale Ghent on his own PHI label is stunning:

Staying OT, here is another set i recommend highly. Beautifully performed IMO, (well the way I like choral music anyway) cracking value, and there are translations available on the web, if not in the box.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Klemperer/Philharmonia has been my reference set since I discovered Brahms in the lp days. I bought the CDs when they were first issued and my understanding is that the latest reissue that Thropp mentions does not update the sonics from the CD initial release.
              My other favorite cycles of the Symphonies are: 1) Furtwangler on Music and Arts (reportedly the included recording of the 2 is the performance that Furt did not reappear for applause but instead was giving the Nazis, who were going to execute him in a last spasm of blood score settling, the slip, after being tipped off about their intentions by Albert Speer. Can you imagine what he must have been feeling during the performance?) 2) 2)Sanderling/Dresden Staatkappelle, and for an ultra budget but satisfying experience, Jaap Van Zweeden and his Netherlands Radio Orchestra on Brilliant Records.
              OT- I saw van Zweeden conduct the Chicago SO in Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra last night and I was very impressed.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

^Thanks for that. trhe other thing I have been thinking about is his Serenades?
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Kertesz !!!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Ah, he still gets about does this much lamented conductor!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      for an ultra budget but satisfying experience, Jaap Van Zweeden and his Netherlands Radio Orchestra on Brilliant Records.
                      I'm glad you like these, richard; I was quite impressed with the excerpts I heard on CD Review a year or so ago - just before Andrew McG completely trashed them ("treacly", "congested", "laborious" were among his more favourable comments!)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Kertesz !!!!
                        Yes Barbirollians.
                        I've had this one for donkeys years,a cracker.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

The recent EMI Big Boult Box has good serenades to complement his famous set of B's symphonies. For me they make a very decent change from the Kerteszes which I have on LP. Also IIRC Haitink did a very good 1st serenade on those black vinyl disc-thingies.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I do rather like haitink's interpretations of brahms's music. Has he done them on LSO Live?
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

thanks folks, just downloaded the Klemperer Box Set for £7-49p ... [from amazon natch]
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X