Happy Wagner Bi-Centenary day everybody!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Happy Wagner Bi-Centenary day everybody!

So here we are at what would have been Richard Wagner's 200th birthday.

I still remember the seismic effect that my discovery of his music had on me at the tender age of 15 or thereabouts. I had heard orchestral excerpts from The Ring, which drew me in to start off with, but it was the Furtwangler recording of Tristan that really did it for me. A pair of headphones, a copy of the libretto, and I was transported to another world from the opening few bars of the prelude. A fascination with the man and his music has been a part of my life ever since then.

From there, more recordings, books*, live performances when funds and time allowed- the 1970's Covent Garden Ring was an experience I shall never forget- and now a gradual accumulation of the music dramas on Blu-Ray. I hope to get to Bayreuth one day; although their recent productions have not filled me with exceitement, I would love to tour the Festspielhaus and Wahnfried, even if I am unable to get my hands on an actual ticket!

I've recently brought Robert Lepage's Met ring on Blu-Ray, a cycle that has impressed me very much, and just have Gotterdammerung left to watch. I may settle down with it later in honour of the occasion. And of course there's the Wagner concert live on Radio 3 this evening.

*(Mentioning books, has anybody managed to have a look at Barry Millington's latest, "The Sorcerer of Bayreuth"? It's sitting in my Amazon shopping basket and I can't decide whether to take the plunge now or wait for a bit when it will probably drop in price.)
    Last edited by Mr Pee; 22-05-13, 10:17. Reason: I before E, except after C.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
Working...
X