X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
    Pletnev - that early RNO/Virgin/6 was a thing of wonder, it still has real punch and a manic scherzo.
    That recording was significant for me. I got to know the symphonies (the famous ones) early on in my conversion to classical music in my late teens and then for a while didn't listen to them that often. I got that Pletnev recording when it came out in 1991 following rave reviews. It was my first CD version and it very much brought me back to appreciating these works anew.

Another favourite which I also went on to buy on CD around this time is the Szell/LSO/Fourth. I had originally bought it on LP when it appeared somewhat incongruously on the Decca World Of The Great Classics series in 1972, having been recorded ten years earlier but allegedly been suppressed by Szell, who by then had passed away.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      That recording was significant for me. I got to know the symphonies (the famous ones) early on in my conversion to classical music in my late teens and then for a while didn't listen to them that often. I got that Pletnev recording when it came out in 1991 following rave reviews. It was my first CD version and it very much brought me back to appreciating these works anew.

Another favourite which I also went on to buy on CD around this time is the Szell/LSO/Fourth. I had originally bought it on LP when it appeared somewhat incongruously on the Decca World Of The Great Classics series in 1972, having been recorded ten years earlier but allegedly been suppressed by Szell, who by then had passed away.
      Received this morning an Eloquence disc - Concertgebouw/Dorati Tchaik 4 clocking in at 42'25" c/w Muss-Ravel Pics 26'56". Looking forward to a swift listen!

Comment

Working...
      X