• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mornin' all.

Has Manfred ever been played at the proms? I was given the 6 numbered ones for a birthday several years ago but still haven't got around to 1-3.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Mornin' all.

Has Manfred ever been played at the proms? I was given the 6 numbered ones for a birthday several years ago but still haven't got around to 1-3.
      CBSO Oramo in 2003.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Mornin' all.

No 1 is being played at the Proms this year. I think 2 and 3 possibly also.
        No1 is wonderful.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          No 1 is being played at the Proms this year. I think 2 and 3 possibly also.
          No1 is wonderful.
          Agree about number 1, though I wonder if that's one of the SO (Sold Out) ones. We looked through the book the other day, and although most of the obvious ones were SO, so were a few of the others which we'd thought less likely. I've never heard no 1 live - would be good.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I will really try to listen to no 1 today [no hopeof going to a prom, alas] I have HvJ and the Berlin Phil for first three, Pappano and Santa Cecilia orchestra for 4-6.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Maazel's VPO performance of no. 1 sounds magnificent with the majestic Viennese horn sound in the slow movement. Does any other mainstream orchestra use single horns?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Mornin' all.

I love #2. I am pretty sure I attended a 'Manfred' Prom a few years ago.

Gonna play #2 next. Maris Jansons Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Just played no 1 [HvK/ Berlin Phil] and of coure I remember bits of it. Not heard itfor years and hearing not what it was but now I have 2 and 3 to explore after today's visitors have gone.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

I have recently purchased the Pletnev cycle on Pentatone which is outstanding and is now my HD cycle of choice. Previously my favorites were Bernstein in 4, Monteux in 5 and Solti in 6, which for years were the only ones that I listened to. I then became enchanted with 1 after hearing Karajan. 2 & 3 have escaped critical scrutiny from me. Muti and the Philharmonia have lately been displaced by Pletnev.
                    If the composer had stopped writing Symphonies after 3, I suspect the situation would be similar to his Piano Concertos. Most people don't realize that there are 3 Tchaikovsky Piano Concertos and refer to 1 as "the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto". We would be referring to Winter Dreams as "The Tchaikovsky Symphony" and the Polish and Little Russian would be thought of as orchestral Suites that became mislabeled as Symphonies.
                    I hope that Pletnev and Pentatone issue a Manfred.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Maazel's VPO performance of no. 1 sounds magnificent with the majestic Viennese horn sound in the slow movement. Does any other mainstream orchestra use single horns?
                      I listened to Maazel's (VPO) Tchaikovsky 4 yesterday, and the fourth movement is stunning.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I am honestly surprised that the VPO, has played these works?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Why?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            I love #2. I am pretty sure I attended a 'Manfred' Prom a few years ago.

Gonna play #2 next. Maris Jansons Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos.
                            #62 CBSO Oramo 2003?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              The 4th symphony with VPO/Abbado is amongst the very best (as is the 4th with the same orchestra and Maazel).

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                The 4th symphony with VPO/Abbado is amongst the very best (as is the 4th with the same orchestra and Maazel).
                                Agreed, the late Karajan, when he'd had a spat with the BPO, is also very good!

Comment

Working...
                                X