X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    No. 2 was the first Tchaikovsky symphony i really took to.
    No. 6 was the first I heard in a live concert, but I was too young to appreciate what a great work it is.
    No. 5 was the first i got to know on my parents' 78's.
    do you recall how many discs no 5 was in 78 version, EA?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

I sort of fell out of love with the Tchaikovsky symphonies years ago.
      With my Russian period kicking in recently I have started to listen again.
      It's like being reunited with long lost friends.
      This set has been my in car listening this week.

Currently available to download for only £5.99 from Amazon.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I really can't remember. i would have thought 4 or 5?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
          • Dec 2010

Thanks to IGI for drawing my attention to the Anima Eterna recording, I'll add it to the list. I'm sure they research the instruments carefully, their Ravel disc was spot on - definitely the sound I grew up with. (e.g. Salle Pleyel c. 1958)

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I am not too sure about being authentic for this period of music? Is there much difference?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              My grandfather's set (LPO/ Lambert) is 5 discs and ditto L's 4th with the Halle. Ought to give them a spin sometime - while I can still get up out of the armchair every 4 minutes...
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I am not too sure about being authentic for this period of music? Is there much difference?
                Someone will make money out of it, but it's unlikely to improve the end result.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                  My grandfather's set (LPO/ Lambert) is 5 discs and ditto L's 4th with the Halle. Ought to give them a spin sometime - while I can still get up out of the armchair every 4 minutes...
                  were we fitter in those days?!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    were we fitter in those days?!
                    It could account for the massive rise in mobility scooters.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Someone will make money out of it, but it's unlikely to improve the end result.
                      Eh? I'd be the first to admit that I can be a bit slow on the uptake but what on earth does EA mean? And the answer to the question about whether there is a difference in listening to Tchaikovsky and other music of that period in historically-informed performances played on 'authentic' instruments (or copies thereof) is, for my money, very much, "yes". Everyone always trots out the old cliché about removing the brown varnish from an old master to reveal the glory of the detail underneath but that's what listening to, say, Rimsky-Korsakov played by Anima Eterna is like. Just as important, though, is that Jos van Immerseel (ditto François-Xavier Roth) is no slouch in the matter of interpretation so that the end results are no less impressive than if you had been listening to, for example, the Russian Easter Festival Overture conducted by Yevgeny Svetlanov.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Eh? I'd be the first to admit that I can be a bit slow on the uptake but what on earth does EA mean?
                        Alpie is somewhat ambivalent about HIP practices - a lot of the time he shows it respect and even admiration, but every so often, his inner daemon pops out and makes a comment along the lines of "it's just a bandwagon that inferior performers have jumped on", regardless of whether he's heard the performance/recording itself. The charitable course of action is to overlook these witticisms and wait for Nice Alpie to return.
                        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 04-05-13, 16:13.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Ah, compris. An "inner Gove" - what a terrible thought for a sunny afternoon!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Ah, compris. An "inner Gove" - what a terrible thought for a sunny afternoon!
                            Yes - rather too harsh for the tone I wanted: I've revised.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Alpie is somewhat ambivalent about HIP practices - a lot of the time he shows it respect and even admiration, but every so often, his inner daemon pops out and makes a comment along the lines of "it's just a bandwagon that inferior performers have jumped on", regardless of whether he's heard the performance/recording itself. The charitable course of action is to overlook these witticisms and wait for Nice Alpie to return.
                              The Nice Alpie would appreciate FHG's diplomacy but the other one would rant and rage about the misquote

The inner demon is indeed there and stems from an English knight's fabrications of musical history, in order to justify what he happens to like, such as Tchaikovsky without vibrato.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

:an English knight's fabrications of musical history, in order to justify what he happens to like, such as Tchaikovsky without vibrato.
                                Ah, now I understand. Not Sir Thomas Beecham, then, whose seriously un-Hipp concoctions are very enjoyable. I must admit that the thought of the person to whom I assume you refer in Tchaikovsky is a bit off-putting. Very fine in Bruckner's 6th but that M****r *th ........

Comment

Working...
                                X