X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Ida Haendel at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester early 1980s

I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows the date of the concert of Ida Haendel playing the Britten violin concerto at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester in the early 1980s. I'm pretty sure that the orchestra was the BBC Philharmonic, although it might possibly have been the Hallé.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

When did the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra become the BBC Phil? I'm sure it must have been around that time.

Oh, Ida Haendel rools!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows the date of the concert of Ida Haendel playing the Britten violin concerto at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester in the early 1980s. I'm pretty sure that the orchestra was the BBC Philharmonic, although it might possibly have been the Hallé.
      12 March, 1985? There's a concert programme of her appearing at the FTH with the BBC Phil then - or is that the ref you're seeking to verify?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Ah, the Free Trade Hall - much maligned, mainly because the bar was too small.

But to the concert itself. who was the conductor?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Ah, the Free Trade Hall - much maligned, mainly because the bar was too small.

But to the concert itself. who was the conductor?
          Brings back memories,and not just the Halle,saw Black Sabbath play there many years ago.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Brings back memories,and not just the Halle,saw Black Sabbath play there many years ago.
            and if all the people who claim to have been there, WERE there at the FTH Pistols gig, capacity must have been about the same as Old Trafford !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              12 March, 1985? There's a concert programme of her appearing at the FTH with the BBC Phil then - or is that the ref you're seeking to verify?

http://www.concertprogrammes.org.uk/...GetRecord/4005
              Thank you very much French Frank,

Yes, that must be it 1985. I was at the concert and cannot find the programme, although if pushed I would have guess it was 2 or 3 years earier. But yes it must have been 1985. I wouldn't been surprised if Edward Downes was the condcutor. Maybe my programme might turn up. I want to know for a review I'm doing.

Comment

• secondfiddle
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                I have a tape of Ida Haendel, BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra, Raymond Leppard with the Britten Concerto (Walton's Scapino Overture began the concert and it ended with Elgar's First Symphony).The Radio Times cutting says 'BBC Manchester' (could that be from the Free Trade Hall?) and the date of the mid-day broadcast was 10 October 1980, but this was a repeat so the actual live performance could be any time earlier.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by secondfiddle View Post
                  I have a tape of Ida Haendel, BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra, Raymond Leppard with the Britten Concerto (Walton's Scapino Overture began the concert and it ended with Elgar's First Symphony).The Radio Times cutting says 'BBC Manchester' (could that be from the Free Trade Hall?) and the date of the mid-day broadcast was 10 October 1980, but this was a repeat so the actual live performance could be any time earlier.
                  Hello secondfiddle,

Thank you for that info. The orchestra was definitely the BBC Philharmonic but I cannot recall the conducuter or the rest of the Free Trade Hall programme. The conductor could have easily have been Raymond Leppard. I should have the actual programme somewhere but it's missing.

Comment

Working...
                  X