Is anyone excited about the Proms 2013 Schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Is anyone excited about the Proms 2013 Schedule?

Tell us your pick from this strange selection of mix-matched works.

HS (confused.cor)
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Personally I'm always excited about the Proms and wish I could attnd more of them. As for a "mismatched" programming, surely contrast is a good thing$ There things I don't like about the presentation and audience behaviour, but these are side issues.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Personally I'm always excited about the Proms and wish I could attnd more of them. As for a "mismatched" programming, surely contrast is a good thing$

But we can listen to them all and watch quite a few of them 'at no extra charge'. Any other nation on earth would be so proud of its public broadcasting system for putting this festival on
      Last edited by Guest; 25-04-13, 11:08. Reason: extras

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

No HS, so much boring stuff going on here that I shall wait until details are printed in the BBC MM.

Yes we are lucky thatthey are all broadcast, many on TV - I did hear of one or two to avoid. Dr Who for instance.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I'm pretty excited about the Prom featuring the marvellous Les Siècles - from Rameau to Stravinsky, all on appropriate instruments, it should be fascinating!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I'm pretty excited about the Prom featuring the marvellous Les Siècles - from Rameau to Stravinsky, all on appropriate instruments, it should be fascinating!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Concur with Cali about yoiur comment MickyD! Ok there are some dubious concerts this year, but on the whole very exciting!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

looking forward to it, and really hoping to get to a couple. Reservations about various aspects of the programming, but there is still a lot to enjoy, hopefully.

Am thinking about doing Mahler 2 and the late night Bach, as it's one (or two) that i might be able to get to.
                And its one time of year it's worth putting the telly on . The Bernstein mass was a telly highlight of last year for me.

If I was in charge I would put some Bliss on the programmes ! (and all the other hopelessly ignored British and american composers ).
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

But we can listen to them all and watch quite a few of them 'at no extra charge'. Any other nation on earth would be so proud of its public broadcasting system for putting this festival on
                  I wonder if other nations would ignore their own creative talent from the last 100 years so comprehensively, Ams?
                  And I don't mean that in a jingoistic way !
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Charlie

Who do you consider our own most creative talent from the last 100 years to be, teamsaint?

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      I wonder if other nations would ignore their own creative talent from the last 100 years so comprehensively, Ams?
                      And I don't mean that in a jingoistic way !
                      Yes not just the greats but most of the British minor composers of the 20th Century seem to be out of fashion. All those reel to reel tapes we sent to the BBC are mouldering in the basement,

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Yes looking forward to this years Proms, been booking accomodation and coaches this afternoon for the one's im hoping to get to. A bit surprised there's not a performance of Britten's War Requiem. Lutoslawski get's a sprinkling which I think is great, I would of thought there could be some more Verdi given it's his 200th also, though Prom's 12 & 72 look exciting

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                          Who do you consider our own most creative talent from the last 100 years to be, teamsaint?
                          in terms of what is called classical Music.....

Aside from the big names, (RVW, BB, Elgar etc) there are loads who , from a brief look at the relevant thread on this forum, would be considered great talents. Personally, with my under developed knowledge, I would highlight, as example only, Arnold, Bliss, Bridge, Bax, Rubbra for instance, but there are lots of others. A cycle of Simpson symphonies would be fantastic to see and hear. I won't bother listing all the other stuff that would be worth hearing.

as a personal preference, a cycle of Arnold Symphonies would be wonderful

Why do you ask, c ?

Incidentally, much of our greatest creative musical talent has , IMO, operated in other areas of music.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
                            Yes looking forward to this years Proms, been booking accomodation and coaches this afternoon for the one's im hoping to get to. A bit surprised there's not a performance of Britten's War Requiem. Lutoslawski get's a sprinkling which I think is great, I would of thought there could be some more Verdi given it's his 200th also, though Prom's 12 & 72 look exciting
                            There's a War Requiem performance at St Paul's on 25 June as part of the City of London Festival

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              Yes not just the greats but most of the British minor composers of the 20th Century seem to be out of fashion. All those reel to reel tapes we sent to the BBC are mouldering in the basement,

Comment

Working...
                              X