X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Thank you SA! Sounds like a worthwhile investogation. So The Lasalle quartet could be the recording?
    Must admit I haven't heard it, BBM, but the Lasalles are pretty dependable ime.

On second thoughts, perhaps I should check my own recordings of 2,3 and 4, which I taped from separate broadcasts over several years some time ago, and so may no longer be available.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Memory lapse - I have the Artis Quartet on Nimbus as well as the LaSalle Qt. (in its DG incarnation). As a Brilliant Box the LaSalle is a wonderful bargain; just listened to Artis Qt. Wien playing no. 3 and they are very good (and S_A's description of the work is spot on). With either recording anyone will be much more than fine.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
        Memory lapse - I have the Artis Quartet on Nimbus as well as the LaSalle Qt. (in its DG incarnation). As a Brilliant Box the LaSalle is a wonderful bargain; just listened to Artis Qt. Wien playing no. 3 and they are very good (and S_A's description of the work is spot on). With either recording anyone will be much more than fine.
        Now we know who's got what, can somebody tell us what Zemlinski's String Quartets are like ?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Now we know who's got what, can somebody tell us what Zemlinski's String Quartets are like ?
          It's hard to put into words. They are incontestably modern, but essentially romantic, with inexorable musical argument, yet subtle harmonies and melodies. Or, you could say they are at least the equal to Bartok's and therefore the dog's danglies.

Get your ears and hands on them without delay, you don't know what you're missing!!

I know you're not interested, but my set is the Lasalle's.

Think I just swallowed a rissole

Comment

• Julien Sorel

I thought S_A did a pretty good job of that!

Here's the Artis playing no.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXUbE_UO7k

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
              I thought S_A did a pretty good job of that!

Here's the Artis playing no.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXUbE_UO7k
              Weird. Just what I'm listening to now.

Ferret, you can cheat with the internet. JS's YouTube clip, and the Wonderful World of Wikipedia:

"While the influence of Brahms is evoked in Zemlinsky's early works (prompting encouragement from Brahms himself), an original voice is present from the first works on, handling dissonances in a much freer manner than Brahms. Later works adopt the kind of extended harmonies that Wagner had introduced whilst also drawing influence from Mahler. In contrast to his friend Schoenberg, he never wrote atonal music, and never used the twelve-tone technique. However, late works such as the Symphonische Gesänge, Sinfonietta and third and fourth string quartets move away from post-Romanticism towards a leaner, harder-edged idiom that incorporates elements of Neue Sachlichkeit, Neoclassicism and even jazz."

No doubt simplstic and mistaken, but it did me.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Ferret, you can cheat with the internet. JS's YouTube clip, and the Wonderful World of Wikipedia:

"While the influence of Brahms is evoked in Zemlinsky's early works (prompting encouragement from Brahms himself), an original voice is present from the first works on, handling dissonances in a much freer manner than Brahms. Later works adopt the kind of extended harmonies that Wagner had introduced whilst also drawing influence from Mahler. In contrast to his friend Schoenberg, he never wrote atonal music, and never used the twelve-tone technique. However, late works such as the Symphonische Gesänge, Sinfonietta and third and fourth string quartets move away from post-Romanticism towards a leaner, harder-edged idiom that incorporates elements of Neue Sachlichkeit, Neoclassicism and even jazz."

No doubt simplstic and mistaken, but it did me.
                All helpful, ff. I've just finished listening and I would definitely not like to be questioned just yet. I missed Brahms, Wagner, Mahler, the fact that he never wrote atonal music or used the twelve-tone technique; but I picked up a vague impression of late Romanticism, with some interesting harmonies and dissonances and I had the continuous feeling that I was enjoying what I heard given that I like the sonorities of the string quartet, and assisted more than a little by the acconpanying score. It's a first, but not the last time. My LaSalle disc is on the way.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

No doubt simplistic and mistaken, but it did me.
                  The late Sinfonietta is quite simply a marvellous work - dare one say, something Mahler might have composed had he lived another 22 years. Schoenberg greatly admired it.

The Austrian composer and conductor Alexander von Zemlinsky was born in Vienna in 1871. His reputation has to some extent been overshadowed by the controvers...

The Austrian composer and conductor Alexander von Zemlinsky was born in Vienna in 1871. His reputation has to some extent been overshadowed by the controvers...

Whoever took the trouble of producing the notes below each of these clips deserves a place in heaven, imho - as also the people who are giving us these wonderful youtubes!

I note that the Lyric Symphony is also available by looking down the right-hand side for other examples of Zemlinsky - as also is Der Zwerg (The Dwarf), the tremendous little one-act opera Zemlinsky composed just prior to the Lyric Symphony.

SO glad you started this thread, frenchie!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    All helpful, ff. I've just finished listening and I would definitely not like to be questioned just yet. I missed Brahms, Wagner, Mahler, the fact that he never wrote atonal music or used the twelve-tone technique; but I picked up a vague impression of late Romanticism, with some interesting harmonies and dissonances and I had the continuous feeling that I was enjoying what I heard given that I like the sonorities of the string quartet, and assisted more than a little by the acconpanying score. It's a first, but not the last time. My LaSalle disc is on the way.
                    If it is the 2nd quartet to which you are referring, Padraig, I have to say do hear a lot of Mahler in the protracted slow ending to the work.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I am intrigued too, don't know them, and am taking myself off to a quiet corner of the "Remove" classroom to have a listen later.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        If it is the 2nd quartet to which you are referring, Padraig, I have to say do hear a lot of Mahler in the protracted slow ending to the work.
                        Yes it was the 2nd quartet S_A. I'll have to remember that about Mahler next time around. I was intrigued by the ending, but Mahler got no credit! Myself and Mahler are not on the best of terms, and I call on scotty for possible assistance in finding my coat.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                          It's hard to put into words. They are incontestably modern, but essentially romantic, with inexorable musical argument, yet subtle harmonies and melodies. Or, you could say they are at least the equal to Bartok's and therefore the dog's danglies.

Get your ears and hands on them without delay, you don't know what you're missing!!

I know you're not interested, but my set is the Lasalle's.

Think I just swallowed a rissole
                          Beef Oven

Thanks for that, the only Zemlinsky I have is Die Seejungfrau and a rather nice Humoresque for wind quintet.

I do have some fine recordings by the La Salle, including Ligeti's 2nd Quartet and the Lutoslawski.

What sort of rissole ?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

... What sort of rissole ?
                            I do hope we are going to avoid the old r/p joke.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Beef Oven

Thanks for that, the only Zemlinsky I have is Die Seejungfrau and a rather nice Humoresque for wind quintet.

I do have some fine recordings by the La Salle, including Ligeti's 2nd Quartet and the Lutoslawski.

What sort of rissole ?
                              Good pieces.

I've got symphonies 1 & 2 but never bought the Lyric Symphony.

It was a bought-in rissole from Sainsbury's 'Pay The Difference' range.

Don't get the time these days to make them myself and Mrs Oven is incontestably foreign and does not grasp the subleties of faggots and rissoles (would you want to eat a jerked faggot? I know I wouldn't).

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                                Good pieces.

I've got symphonies 1 & 2 but never bought the Lyric Symphony.

It was a bought-in rissole from Sainsbury's 'Pay The Difference' range.

Don't get the time these days to make them myself and Mrs Oven is incontestably foreign and does not grasp the subleties of faggots and rissoles (would you want to eat a jerked faggot? I know I wouldn't).
                                Even I would probably draw the line at eating a jerked faggot!

Comment

Working...
                                X