• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Zemlinsky String Quartets

As this topic was started on another board and it seems to have some mileage, J Sorel recommended the LaSalle's version. I have the Artis Quartett Wien's version (a second CD is also available, with Nos 3 & 4 and with Johanna Müller-Hermann's Quartet Op 6) - now playing, as they say. I think I bought it after browsing, possibly s-h. The LaSalles are bound to be good - but does anyone know the Artis?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The CD you link to appears to be of music by a sifferent composer with a name close to that of Zermlinsky but not quite that.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      a sifferent composer
      But not that sifferent, eh?

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        But not that sifferent, eh?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

[Joke]

Which link was wrong?
          Last edited by french frank; 12-04-13, 21:53. Reason: Clarification
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

The CD you link to appears to be of music by a sifferent composer with a name close to that of Zermlinsky but not quite that.
            And not only not so sifferent but also questioning the identity of Zermlinsky; never mind - four truly great quartets, without a shadow of doubt!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

As far as the Artis Quartett is concerned, I also have their Webern CD.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

I still have the La Salle set on LP brought from a library sale for 20p about 20 years ago in excellent condition. They are very fine works, but we don't seem to hear them much these days. I played them last a couple of years ago, the 2nd seems to make the strongest impression on me for some reason.

Comment

• Rolmill
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ...I have the Artis Quartett Wien's version (a second CD is also available, with Nos 3 & 4 and with Johanna Müller-Hermann's Quartet Op 6) - now playing, as they say. I think I bought it after browsing, possibly s-h. The LaSalles are bound to be good - but does anyone know the Artis?
                  I have the second CD and think it is very good (music and playing) - and the Muller-Hermann quartet is lovely. I must keep an eye out for the earlier coupling.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I have Lyrische Symphonie and I love this work. How do they compare?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Which link was wrong?
                      Neither... I was ragging Bryn in fact, who'd picked up on a superfluous 'r' which had crept into your thread title... which I nipped out, with a little tease of the Hon. Member for Braccan Heal
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Neither... I was ragging Bryn in fact, who'd picked up on a superfluous 'r' which had crept into your thread title... which I nipped out, with a little tease of the Hon. Member for Braccan Heal
                        I'm a little surprised that Frenchie did not grasp the significance of my pictorial response.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I'm a little surprised that Frenchie did not grasp the significance of my pictorial response.
                          I did! But Caliban explains that he obviously corrected my erroneous thread title; so by the time I read about your Zermlinsky I had no idea what you were talking about, and thought you were saying that one of the links was to a wrong or 'sifferent' composer. All now clear . I think .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I have Lyrische Symphonie and I love this work. How do they compare?
                            Much more "involved" in terms of complexity of organic thematic development than the Lyric Symphony, BBM - (mind, the LS is pretty "involved" below its luxurious surfaces). The Schoenberg 1905 and 1907 quartets served as something of a model for No 2, so if you are conversant with the Schoenbergs, that represents the degree of advancement in harmonic terms. No 3, written just after the Lyric Symph, is about as advanced as AZ ever got, the central movement being near atonal, and No 4, afaik one of his last works, is not so far behind in terms of a challenging listen. Commentators often remark that AZ found himself at odds with his friends' advancement into atonal and later 12-tone territories; but not only he and Berg in particular continued a strong friendship - Berg quoted from the LS in his significantly-titled Lyric Suite written 3 years later, and a grief-torn Zemlinsky dedicated his No 4 Qt to Berg's memory - Zemlinsky promoted and presented new works by the 3 leading Second Vienese School personalities - including Webern! - and Schoenberg in a later essay wrote highly of Zemlinsky's compositional contributions to opera.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Thank you SA! Sounds like a worthwhile investogation. So The Lasalle quartet could be the recording?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X