X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Did anyone watch the programme about James Galway on BBC4? Kitchen drawer full of gold flutes....The anecdote about his BPO audition slightly different each time he tells it (first heard in October 1975).
    I saw it

Wide-vibrato-soupy-flute not really my cup of tea but good to see him enjoying life.
    What's wrong with hearing the breath anyway?

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Did anyone watch the programme about James Galway on BBC4? Kitchen drawer full of gold flutes....The anecdote about his BPO audition slightly different each time he tells it (first heard in October 1975).
      Many thanks for this. Very interesting programme.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Tonight, 9.00 on Sky Arts.

New documentary on XTC, pop pickers.
        This eye-opening documentary takes an alternative look at English rock band XTC. Formed in Swindon in 1972, they became one of Britain's most influential yet unsung bands.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Tonight, 9.00 on Sky Arts.

New documentary on XTC, pop pickers.
          https://www.sky.com/watch/title/prog...tc-this-is-pop
          Hopefully it will be made available online, somehow or other. I neither have, not intend to get, Sky.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thanks ts.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I neither have, not intend to get, Sky.
            Why do you feel the need to tell us this, Bryn? Sorry, , but for those of us on the forum who do avail ourselves of the excellent drama and arts coverage to be found on Sky, this virtue-signalling (which I take it to be) every time somebody draws attention to it is very tedious. I read The Times, too.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Thanks ts.

Why do you feel the need to tell us this, Bryn? Sorry, , but for those of us on the forum who do avail ourselves of the excellent drama and arts coverage to be found on Sky, this virtue-signalling (which I take it to be) every time somebody draws attention to it is very tedious. I read The Times, too.
              A decade or so ago I did subscribe to Sky for a while, but after having to dump and replace three Sky boxes in 2 years, and multiple faulty repeats of Berio's Outis, I terminated the contract. It's not just the connection with the egregious Murdoch and co., it's the poor quality of service I experienced.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                On the other hand, I mean to catch this (at 8pm this Friday 20th):

Were JS Bach's Cello Suites actually composed by his second wife, Anna Magdalena?

Written By Mrs Bach

Johann Sebastian Bach's majestic Cello Suites are among the world's best-loved pieces of music - but did another Bach write them? Australian musical sleuth Martin Jarvis explosively claims the suites were composed not by Bach, but by his much-loved second wife, Anna Magdalena.

Jarvis's controversial quest for clues takes him from London to Paris to Berlin and beyond. Using advanced techniques of forensic document examination and drawing on his vast experience as a conductor and musician, he sets out to uncover the truth of the Cello Suites and rewrite some musical wrongs.

Narrated by composer Sally Beamish.

I think gamba alluded to this recently on another thread - so here's thanks for that gamba.
                This contention is not new. If Mrs Bach wrote the cello sonatas that means there were two geniuses living in that home.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  A decade or so ago I did subscribe to Sky for a while, but after having to dump and replace three Sky boxes in 2 years, and multiple faulty repeats of Berio's Outis, I terminated the contract. It's not just the connection with the egregious Murdoch and co., it's the poor quality of service I experienced.
                  Apologies for jumping to conclusions . I've been a subscriber now for 17 years, satellite of some sort being the only option where I live, with no probs......

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Apologies for jumping to conclusions . I've been a subscriber now for 17 years, satellite of some sort being the only option where I live, with no probs......
                    I only read the Sunday Times for the best seller listings....
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      This contention is not new. If Mrs Bach wrote the cello sonatas that means there were two geniuses living in that home.
                      Over the years we have had a few exchanges re. Jarvis's contention. The programme helped show how paper thin his 'evidence' was. I don't think Jarvis has many supporters among his fellow Bach scholars.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Coming up on Medici TV:

Philip Glass's Music with Changing Parts, a minimalist masterpiece
                        Relive it: Saturday, Dec. 1st 5 pm GMT.

Comment

Working...
                        X