Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    If you'd said the pink oboe, I'd have started wondering, ts!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

i was on a very nice Myaskovsky based, post shopping trip, even keel till I read that.....

kettle on, I think.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I hope to watch this over the weekend. Loks very good,and Sir Antonio Pappano too!
          I've just finished watching. I had high hopes for this and they were most certainly met. For newbies to The Ring, this was probably a perfect introduction- and Pappano's gift for communication and engaging presentational style made it scintillating for all, whatever one's level of knowledge. In 90 minutes, I thought it was a great overview; it was inevitable that parts would need to be glossed over, but short of the BBC making this into a 4 part series, with say an hour on each part of the cycle, I don't think there was much more that could be covered. Personally I would have liked a few words on the use of the "Redemption through Love" motif- I prefer to call it "Hope for the Future"- that closes the entire cycle, but any criticisms are minor. I would now like to see a Blu-Ray release, and as I've said elsewhere, I think it a very poor show that the BBC chose not to broadcast this in HD.

The programme was also a reminder of the good and bad of Warner's ROH cycle- seeing the final scene of Walkure again reminded me how absolutely breathtaking that moment was in the ROH. I could feel the heat from those flames half way back in the stalls. And the Rheingold scene change into Nibelheim was a true coup de theatre; seeing the entire stage flying up into the roof, complete with props and cast, was astonishing.

The bad? Well, there were several, but two that we saw here were the sometimes cluttered stage picture, and the rat's head on Mime in Siegfried- it makes no more sense to me now, even after hearing Mr. Warner, than it did when I first saw it.

But for the programme itself, and Pappano in particular, top marks from Mr. Pee.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

The bad? Well, there were several, but two that we saw here were the sometimes cluttered stage picture, and the rat's head on Mime in Siegfried- it makes no more sense to me now, even after hearing Mr. Warner, than it did when I first saw it.
            I thought that was brilliant
            as he explained how the text does contain anti semitic sentiments and that using the rats head was a way of showing this in context ...... simple really IMV

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I thought that was brilliant
              as he explained how the text does contain anti semitic sentiments and that using the rats head was a way of showing this in context ...... simple really IMV
              Fair enough, but it just didn't work for me, even though I was generally much more favourably disposed toward this production than most of the critics were. But I think if a director ever staged a Ring that did not generate disagreement and debate, he wouldn't be doing his job properly!
              Last edited by Mr Pee; 18-05-13, 16:39.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Tonight:
                a bit of Mozart, a re run for "Symphony" , and lots of Otis Redding.

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Verdi, Wagner with the VPO and Katie Derham presenting it all , tonight BBC 7.30
                  With works by Verdi and Wagner, marking the 200th anniversary of both composers' birth.

Plenty of Macca and Wings later on too.........

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Some interesting Stuff tonight.

The Sound and The Fury gets a re run.

Richard Thompson should be worth seeing also.
                    Guitarist, singer and songwriter Richard Thompson plays a concert filmed in BBC TV Centre.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Flagged up by Marvin (last night, but on iplayer)

Britten's Violin Concerto, plus works by Arvo Part, Berlioz and Saint-Saens.

and more BB tonight:

How Benjamin Britten and the BBC brought modern classical music to a wider audience.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

and more BB tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j42wt
                        That BB @ 20.00 tonight looks very interesting. Meant to be going out with mates tonight, so it might have to be an iPlayer session in the morning.

Many thanks for the heads-up
                        Last edited by Beef Oven!; 16-11-13, 10:52.

Comment

• Tevot
                          • Nov 2010

and more BB tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j42wt

Thanks for this TS. I'd certainly recommend the Part and the Britten VC... there's also an excellent imho performance of Britten's Canticle I during the "interval".

What is more Petroc is quite circumspect. Always a plus Perhaps he was dazzled by the delightful Ms Jansen

Looking forward to the Britten on Camera documentary too. Perhaps it should be retitled Britten at the Beeb

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Some stuff about Bach tonight with JEG.

John Eliot Gardiner goes in search of Bach the man and the musician.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Mendelssohn from the Proms, Tom Jones, (beg his pardon, Sir Tom of Jones,)and lots of Blues tonight.

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

Comment

• Boilk
                                • Dec 2010

Mendelssohn from the Proms, Tom Jones and lots of Blues tonight.
                                {Boring}³

Comment

Working...
                                X