Music coming up on television.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt

Are you bored by both Felix Mendelssohns, Boilk ?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

perhaps I should start a new thread.
      "Music that you are bound to find interesting and enjoyable coming up on television."

Perhaps that would go better ?

Or, even better idea

"Music coming up on telly that isn't boring like Mendelssohn".

Yes, that would work.

actually, old Boilers has the maths wrong anyway, surely it's Boring X 3, not to the power?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

How can you possibly find the outfits of his Hawaiian Serenaders anything less than stimulating for a start ?

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
          {Boring}³
          The Mendelssohn concerto was fabulous on BBC4. So un-boring that my grand-kids watched spellbound from start to finish. They were also intrigued by how Janine's dress stayed up without any straps and by Roger N, because 'He looks just like you grand-dad'. (I think they meant the balding pate.)

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            The Mendelssohn concerto was fabulous on BBC4. So un-boring that my grand-kids watched spellbound from start to finish. They were also intrigued by how Janine's dress stayed up without any straps and by Roger N, because 'He looks just like you grand-dad'. (I think they meant the balding pate.)
            Ards, you really should be working for the sales and marketing team on Iplayer/Listen again.

BTW, the Blues documentary was very interesting, and blues at the BBC has some great music.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Boilk
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              ... the Blues documentary was very interesting, and blues at the BBC has some great music.
              I watched part of the Blues documentary, as history it was indeed very interesting ... as a musical experience it was downright depressing.
              If I ever want to feel depressed in future, I know even better than before what music/artistes to home in on. Of course, the trampled-upon negro communities had much to feel depressed about, but give me happier music any day.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I caught the last few minutes of an Australian production of Don Giovanni late last night and was able to record an over-night repeat. No need to fall back on Cowell's offerings this evening! (In all honesty, the last time I watched a Simon Cowell programme, Will Young won it.)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  No need to fall back on Cowell's offerings this evening! )
                  My heart skipped a beat when I saw that
                  HENRY COWELL on TV ????
                  or even Henry Cow

So it's Ryoji Ikeda in front of the stove on headphones with a glass or two then for me

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    My heart skipped a beat when I saw that
                    HENRY COWELL on TV ????
                    or even Henry Cow

So it's Ryoji Ikeda in front of the stove on headphones with a glass or two then for me

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Some interesting stuff this weekend.

The Final part of " Symphony" with DSCH/Ives . ( never seen any of this series, was it any good?)

A new Joy Division documentary , and a repeat of Synth Britannia , all on BBC4 tonight.

Those who are in thrall to the murdoch empire can catch a documentary on John Coltrane , tomorrow night on Sky arts,( just after Michael Bolton ,and Andre Rieu, and clashing with MOTD !!)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Oh dear, Mark Elder has just dropped several notches in my estimation. What a mess he makes, taking up the Bernstein vitiation of Ives's curt final chord of the 2nd Symphony. Eugh!

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Oh dear, Mark Elder has just dropped several notches in my estimation. What a mess he makes, taking up the Bernstein vitiation of Ives's curt final chord of the 2nd Symphony. Eugh!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Did anyone watch the programme about James Galway on BBC4? Kitchen drawer full of gold flutes....The anecdote about his BPO audition slightly different each time he tells it (first heard in October 1975).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Did anyone watch the programme about James Galway on BBC4? Kitchen drawer full of gold flutes....The anecdote about his BPO audition slightly different each time he tells it (first heard in October 1975).
                              Missed that. Deliberately. Caught some of his playing on 'Essential Classics' the other week when he was "Artist of the Week"... His vibrato had me reaching for the Immodium
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

On the other hand, I mean to catch this (at 8pm this Friday 20th):

Were JS Bach's Cello Suites actually composed by his second wife, Anna Magdalena?

Written By Mrs Bach

Johann Sebastian Bach's majestic Cello Suites are among the world's best-loved pieces of music - but did another Bach write them? Australian musical sleuth Martin Jarvis explosively claims the suites were composed not by Bach, but by his much-loved second wife, Anna Magdalena.

Jarvis's controversial quest for clues takes him from London to Paris to Berlin and beyond. Using advanced techniques of forensic document examination and drawing on his vast experience as a conductor and musician, he sets out to uncover the truth of the Cello Suites and rewrite some musical wrongs.

Narrated by composer Sally Beamish.

I think gamba alluded to this recently on another thread - so here's thanks for that gamba.
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X