X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Peter Cornelius

I've been listening to his songs for the first time. The one everyone knows is the Three Kings in its choral clothing. But as a group they are really fine. I wonder why so neglected?

And soon I'll have another listen to his Der Barbier von Bagdad.

Anyone else taken him in? Interesting life - close to both Liszt and Wagner, but ambivalent about the "New Music".
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

One of the few things I know of Cornelius is that he is on record as rating Josef Strauss the genius of the Strauss family.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      I've been listening to his songs for the first time. The one everyone knows is the Three Kings in its choral clothing. But as a group they are really fine. I wonder why so neglected?

And soon I'll have another listen to his Der Barbier von Bagdad.

Anyone else taken him in? Interesting life - close to both Liszt and Wagner, but ambivalent about the "New Music".
      I listened to his opera 'Der Barbier von Bagdad' quite a few times about 8 years ago, but that was it really. It's a most enjoyable work, deserves more airtime.

Haven't thought about him, or even heard any more about him until I saw your thread!

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

This Hermann Prey CD of Christmas songs, with op 2 and op 8 I'm enjoying greatly:

Comment

• Rolmill
          • Nov 2010

There's a pretty good CD of his choral music on Hyperion, with (I think) Polyphony/Layton - attractive but at times quite "rich" and densely scored, so best listened to in bite-sized chunks IMV.

Comment

Working...
          X