X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

RIP Robert E Ward (1917-2013)

The grim reaper has struck again at the musical world with the death on Tuesday (or yesterday, I've heard both dates) of the American composer Robert E Ward at the age of 95, who after Carter's death became the 'grand old man of American music'. His music was always attractive, approachable and fresh. His opera 'The Crucible' is one of the finest American operas IMO and really worth getting to know.
  • Roehre

Very sad news indeed.
    I love especially his symphonies and his piano concerto, unmistakingly american in style, even if one of them (no.6) is for a rather small ensemble for a symphony.

RIP Robert Ward

Btw, SC and I have discussed whether he actually had passed away earlier - as I was led to believe a couple of years ago. fortunately I was wrong then. But eventually the grim reaper.....

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Well, I didn't know everyone, but Robert Ward, together with John Kernahan [sp?] became my boss for a couple of years. The two men took over the ailing old firm Augener and we became Augener/Galliard in the 1960s.
      Obviously he talked more with our editors but was friendly and approachable and I had a little to do with promotion of 'The Crucible', which I believe was eventually done at the ROH.
      He had connections with the American publishers Galaxy, from which I suppose they took our new name

RIP RW.
      Last edited by salymap; 05-04-13, 08:01. Reason: to add last sentence.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Very sad news indeed.
        I love especially his symphonies and his piano concerto, unmistakingly american in style, even if one of them (no.6) is for a rather small ensemble for a symphony.

RIP Robert Ward

Btw, SC and I have discussed whether he actually had passed away earlier - as I was led to believe a couple of years ago. fortunately I was wrong then. But eventually the grim reaper.....
        Roehre, I suppose there's no chance that Robert Ward could be 'Composer of the Week' sometime, perhaps sharing with another deceased US composer.? We had a lot of his works in the hire library, not published here so presumably imported by him. I remember something called 'He Who Gets Slapped'another opera but not much else.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

That would be nice Salymap, there is actually enough of Ward's music recorded to fill up a COTW, but he would one of many composers still waiting for a first appearance as COTW. Another work of Ward's I'd recommend is The Scarlet Letter.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
            That would be nice Salymap, there is actually enough of Ward's music recorded to fill up a COTW, but he would one of many composers still waiting for a first appearance as COTW. Another work of Ward's I'd recommend is The Scarlet Letter.
            To shamefully go a little off topic has Harris ever been COTW SC?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

No he hasn't Anton. I offered my services over 10 years ago to help put together a COTW series on Harris, but didn't even get an acknowledgement. Actually not many American composers have been COTW Schuman has appeared and twice in combination with other composers, including Piston but that was many years ago. The popular Americans & Carter have appeared a number of times but that's it. Ward's music is very agreeable Anton, it isn't ground breaking or monumental, but makes for attractive and often tuneful listening.
              Last edited by Suffolkcoastal; 05-04-13, 20:22. Reason: missed two key words out, must not try and type so quick!

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                No he hasn't Anton. I offered my services over 10 years ago to help put together a COTW series on Harris, but didn't even get an acknowledgement. Actually not many American composers have been COTW Schuman has twice but in combination with other composers, including Piston but that was many years ago. The popular Americans & Carter have appeared a number of times but that's it. Ward's music is very agreeable Anton, it isn't ground breaking or monumental, but makes for attractive and often tuneful listening.
                Sad indeed even I find COTW's field a little narrow .....I will try Ward - your recommendation is of course good enough and anyone who could "boss" the Sage of Sidcup earns my respect!

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Please let's remember that this is an obituary thread for Robert Ward, a leading American composer, who has just died. If my comments have upset someone I am sorry but it's not the place for such levity IMHO.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Please let's remember that this is an obituary thread for Robert Ward, a leading American composer, who has just died. If my comments have upset someone I am sorry but it's not the place for such levity IMHO.
                    My apologies.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      Roehre, I suppose there's no chance that Robert Ward could be 'Composer of the Week' sometime, perhaps sharing with another deceased US composer.? We had a lot of his works in the hire library, not published here so presumably imported by him. I remember something called 'He Who Gets Slapped'another opera but not much else.
                      Nice suggestion it is, Salymap. and I'd love to prepare it with Suffolkcoastal (or let him do the job completely, as he is better informed re American composers than I am, I'm sure )

Comment

Working...
                      X