• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Richard Strauss: Operas

The operas - is anyone interested? It hardly seems worthwhile to start another thread, but operas also require orchestras and there is a link (Rosenkavalier, for example or Wagner's Preludes) between stage performances and orchestral extracts.

I personally like Ariadne auf Naxos and can't stand Elektra

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 03-04-13, 14:39.
  • Julien Sorel

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    The operas - is anyone interested? It hardly seems worthwhile to start another thread, but operas also require orchestras and there is a link (Rosenkavalier, for example or Wagner's Preludes) between stage performances and orchestral extracts.
    Yes, very interested. I have mixed feelings about the tone poems in fact (but that's to do with my temperament, I think, rather than the works themselves. Though I can't get rid of a sense of something ridiculously bombastic even in - even in? - Ein Heldenleben, remarkable though it is in other ways).

Elektra and Salome are dangerous, experimental works - I do like them very much. Der Rosenkavalier, almost everything about it ought to be wrong (for me) I think but it's just so wonderful . I like the smaller scale operas very much: Capriccio, Ariadne auf Naxos (yes, lovely work). Die Frau ohne Schatten fascinates me, but I've not listened to it many times. Never really got on with Arabella, but I'm open to persuasion.
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 03-04-13, 12:01.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Richard Strauss: Operas

To accommodate some comments about this subject, for easier reference and to prevent the 'orchestral' thread becoming unwieldy...
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 03-04-13, 12:10. Reason: Sp x 10
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Salome, Elektra, Rosenkavalier and Die Frau ohne Schatten are all works that I adore. Ariadne auf Naxos I have difficulty enjoying, but Kempe (with Gundula Janowitz) gets me there. The ithers I don't know well enough to comment upon, because when I've heard them, the experience hasn't made me want to repeat it! (A pity, Cappriccio has the lovliest of openings, and the "Moonlight Scene" as conducted by Karajan is gorgeous, too.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          I personally like Ariadne auf Naxos and can't stand Electra
          I'd agree, for 'domestic' listening. I often listen to 'Ariadne' which I agree is a delight. I wouldn't put on 'Elektra' for fun at home - although the 'Recognition Scene' is heartbreakingly beautiful and in utter contrast to the savagery of much of the piece.

That said, as mentioned before hereabouts, 'Elektra' provided one of my handful of top evenings ever in the opera house: the Solti-driven performance at the ROH.....

Funnily enough, a google search has thrown up my own comment on the old boards:

Posted by Caliban on Tuesday, 3rd November 2009 All I know is one of the 2 or 3 most rivetting things I have ever attended in a theatre was Solti's 1990 ELEKTRA at Covent Garden with Eva Marton, Nadine Secunde, Marjana Lipovsek, Robert Hale & Robert Tear.

I remember that afterwards, I had the curious sensation of seemingly not having been able to take a breath for the previous hour and a half...

But then again, as also canvassed before, the Jessye Norman 'Ariadne' at the ROH (late 80s) was one of the other 'ultimate opera experiences' of my life.

So I think both are capable of delivering

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Capriccio has the lovliest of openings, and the "Moonlight Scene" as conducted by Karajan is gorgeous, too.

Indeed, but I think the whole thing is glorious (that said, I haven't listened to it for a few years). I've seen it a couple of times - the flow of music is just like endless golden threads being inter-twined, many little fleeting moments of pathos or humour so deftly and lightly done... But you need the right singers

This is the one for me...

Perfection - not least Gundula Janowitz... I'll match your ferney! (The Schwarzkopf recording with Sawallisch is the one everyone raves about, but I find it too mannered, too fussy - not golden enough....)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Indeed, but I think the whole thing is glorious (that said, I haven't listened to it for a few years). I've seen it a couple of times - the flow of music is just like endless golden threads being inter-twined, many little fleeting moments of pathos or humour so deftly and lightly done... But you need the right singers

This is the one for me...

Perfection - not least Gundula Janowitz... I'll match your ferney! (The Schwarzkopf recording with Sawallisch is the one everyone raves about, but I find it too mannered, too fussy - not golden enough....)
              Yes, Cappriccio is the one I've been most tempted to try again - and mostly because of that recording! Böhm's Mozart opera recordings are superb, strange that his Strauss recordings are so often side-lined (he worked extensively with the composer, too).

I also share your opinion of the recording with Bessie Blackhead, but I got into trouble on the old BBCMBs the last time I made "unkind*" comments about her, so I'll say no more here!

* = I didn't (and don't) think they were "unkind" ("valid comments of a negative nature", I'd prefer to think of them) but singers' voices are a very personal taste, and it can seem as if one is attacking the person who admires them.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I also share your opinion of the recording with Bessie Blackhead, but I got into trouble on the old BBCMBs the last time I made "unkind*" comments about her, so I'll say no more here!

* = I didn't (and don't) think they were "unkind" ("valid comments of a negative nature", I'd prefer to think of them) but singers' voices are a very personal taste, and it can seem as if one is attacking the person who admires them.
                OH quite... and the fact that I don't really like her approach to this piece doesn't alter that fact that for me she is the only Marschallin... that voice is so perfect for that particular role.

'orses for courses, innit

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

I have no Strauss operas in my cd collection whatsoever.
                  Does that make me a bad person ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    I have no Strauss operas in my cd collection whatsoever.
                    Does that make me a bad person ?
                    Certainly not. But you're missing out on one or two gems.

You could do worse than hoist this on board: http://www.amazon.co.uk/R-Strauss-Ca...4999896&sr=1-1

Comment

• amateur51

Certainly not. But you're missing out on one or two gems.

You could do worse than hoist this on board: http://www.amazon.co.uk/R-Strauss-Ca...4999896&sr=1-1

Do it come wi't'words, old lad?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I'll check at home but I think so...

Comment

• amateur51

I'll check at home but I think so...
                          Thanking you - it'd be sad if it doesn't

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Rosenkavalier-Waltzes, Frau-ohne-Schatten phantasy, Intermezzo-intermezzi, Salome's Dance: you can avoid those screaming (pardon: singing) lassies and lads if you wish so

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              Rosenkavalier-Waltzes, Frau-ohne-Schatten phantasy, Intermezzo-intermezzi, Salome's Dance: you can avoid those screaming (pardon: singing) lassies and lads if you wish so
                              One of the joys of Capriccio - it's all very conversational, no screaming

Comment

Working...
                              X