X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

John Cage. 'RYOANJI'

Does anyone know and have an opinion of this work? I bought a cd of it in the Glasgow Oxfam shop recently and have played it many times. I find it oddly hypnotic. The version I have is with Cage himself with a double bass player who both plays and sings but I believe there are other versions of it.
  • Simon

Not a work I know well, though I have listened to it on Youtube.

Here's another though, perhaps equally oddly hypnotic in a way. The rhythm of the deeper notes is a perfect counterbalance to the melody of the solo artist, and the tintinabulation in the central movement is surely a touch of genius. The introduction of a vocal part towards the end betrays, I feel, the influence of more traditional forms of composition, and could perhaps be said to be an anachronism, not entirely in keeping with the rest of the work, which, as a whole, surely cries out for some discerning musicologist to make it the subject of a Ph.D. Enjoy.

Jupiter the screaming Siamese cat where we all are afraid of.. He is not only screaming but also putting his nails out. And he means business. Sadly to tell ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I have the hat[now]ART recording in Cage's version for Quintet (Percussion, Oboe, Flute, DBass and Trombone) with John Patrick Thomas. A work completely at piece with itself and fascinating in its references to Gagaku traditions (which might, indeed, strike some "dirty ears" as "cat-like" - pause to give Says minor hard stare!) - delighted to hear you enjoyed it, p-guy.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I have the hat[now]ART recording in Cage's version for Quintet (Percussion, Oboe, Flute, DBass and Trombone) with John Patrick Thomas. A work completely at piece with itself and fascinating in its references to Gagaku traditions (which might, indeed, strike some "dirty ears" as "cat-like" - pause to give Says minor hard stare!) - delighted to hear you enjoyed it, p-guy.
        I have that version
        wonderful stuff

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          A work completely at piece with itself and fascinating in its references to Gagaku traditions
          Indeed, FHG, indeed. I could not have put that better myself.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            Indeed, FHG, indeed. I could not have put that better myself.
            I wrote "at piece"?!

I blame this cold!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Simon

Nah. Freudian slip.

Comment

Working...
              X