• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

'Our Lady of Paris'

A fascinating programme.

Simon Russell Beale marks Notre Dame's 850th anniversary, exploring French sacred music.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
    I clicked on that link jean only to find myself face-to-face with another Miss Marple looky-likey - sans chapeau on this occasion

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I clicked on that link jean only to find myself face-to-face with another Miss Marple looky-likey - sans chapeau on this occasion
      Naughty!
      This prog is recorded for weekend-siesta listening
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Naughty!
        This prog is recorded for weekend-siesta listening
        Naughty maybe, but tell me I'm wrong!

Dame Simone on glittering form I'm sure amongst all those French campanologistes

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

The word 'wrong' did not escape my keyboard, you will have observed, and it was no accident....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by jean View Post
            Indeed, Jean - and many thanks for that link.

I knew where the word tenor originated, but I'd no idea that motet came from "mot". Nor did I know that polyphony began at Notre Dame with the cathedral canons.

I'm not sure that the Parisian builders were the most technically gifted in the world in the latter half of the C12th: there are a few buildings on England that (IMO) could provide justification for a challenge to that statement!

It's always good to hear Charpentier: a shame there wasn't more. Similarly Berlioz.

Well worth hearing for an interesting, if (necessarily and understandably) superficial summary of French music.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Whilst I sort of enjoyed the programme and SRB's usual bonhommie, I thought the content rather disorganised and unfocused. The Leonin/Perotin stuff was more or less lifted from his TV series...then blink and he's talking about Berlioz. He got side-tracked into general Parisian life (inevitable accordion at the end) and by composers...and organs...that had nothing to do with ND. Latry's musical contribution was a scale showing off his septieme mutation stop. Couldn't we have had a blast of his improvisatory genius in that great pile?

All in all, nice idea for a programme, but a cut-and-paste job was all we got.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

I think I'll give this a whirl... but no rush as it says it's 'available until 1 January 2099'. Oh good.

Also rather remarkable is the length and intelligence of the blurb for the programme on the iPlayer site. Would all R3 programmes were announced thus.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Do give us your verdict, kb. Anytime within the next 86 years will do

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I think I'll give this a whirl... but no rush as it says it's 'available until 1 January 2099'. Oh good.
                    Knowing me, this means I'll listen to it at 11:00 pm, 31st December 2098!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X