X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Zandonai

Zandonai's Francesca da Rimini is on R3 right now. Sounds very impressive.

I saw it a while back in Holland Park - very good - but the Met performance sounds electric.

Listen, or record what's left.

Sorry - perhaps this should be in the opera section. Not sure why it's so early today - is it anything to do with daylight saving? Bit early for that, surely!
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

It was announced that it was to do with daylight saving. The weather being stuck in winter is certainly making me tend to forget that we are already in the second half of March.

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

Is Zandonai known for anything else? The only music of his that I have is a disc of excerpts from Francesca da Rimini, and there's nothing else listed in my 2010 Penguin Guide. He must have written more, but is any of it recorded?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
        Is Zandonai known for anything else? The only music of his that I have is a disc of excerpts from Francesca da Rimini, and there's nothing else listed in my 2010 Penguin Guide. He must have written more, but is any of it recorded?
        He seems to have written at least 11 operas and a few orchestral and choral works at least. One of the operas is called Giulietta e Romeo (sic, 1920-21) which might be a little bit different! Apparently there are several CD versions, but one of them gets listed just as "Romeo & Juliet" by the River-people which rather spoils the fun.

Don't recall ever hearing anything else of his, but other operas are listed on CD, though you'll need a very deep wallet for some of them!
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Didn't enjoy it - like Puccini without tunes .

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Didn't enjoy it - like Puccini without tunes .
            IIrc, he was being built up by the Ricordi firm as Puccini's great rival - and was expected by many to surpass GP's achievement. Obviously, this never happened but I'd be interested in hearing more than the Francesca excerpts which are at the front of the current Decca reissue of Olivera's Fedora.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              ... Don't recall ever hearing anything else of his, but other operas are listed on CD, though you'll need a very deep wallet for some of them!
              Hopefully the iPlayer team will get round to resolving the current lack of the final 100 minutes of the scheduled 225. They have so far posted 2 versions, one of 121 minutes and them a replacement running to 125 minutes. It is listed as one of the programmes they are aware of as being incomplete, but whether they manage to get it sorted by next Saturday afternoon is another matter.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

The full opera is now available in HD Sound via the iPlayer's Listen Again facility.

Comment

Working...
                X