• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Petrenko to stay in Liverpool!

Best news this year so far!

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra announces today the extension of Principal Conductor Vasily Petrenko's contract for another three years, a decision which will make him the second-longest serving Principal Conductor of the orchestra

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Agreed, jean, top news for North of England and RLPO.

Comment

• amateur51

This is wonderful news, I agree jean. How good to see too that his commitment is linked to the building of a new concert hall, doing a Rattle as it were. Great news of RLPO, the music lovers of the North-West and for concert-life in UK

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Well, it won't be a new hall - he always wanted that, and I thought he might leave if he didn't get it.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
          Well, it won't be a new hall - he always wanted that, and I thought he might leave if he didn't get it.
          Sorry jean, speed reading let me down.What a shame.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

No, don't be sorry - it's a lovely hall and we don't need a new one (unlike Manchester and Birmingham, which didn't have proper concert halls before their new ones were built).

Comment

• amateur51

No, don't be sorry - it's a lovely hall and we don't need a new one (unlike Manchester and Birmingham, which didn't have proper concert halls before their new ones were built).
              Better even than (relatively) nearby William Aston Hall in Wrexham?

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Better even than (relatively) nearby William Aston Hall in Wrexham?

Ermmmm yikes indeed.............have you been inside the W.A.H.?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
                  Ermmmm yikes indeed.............have you been inside the W.A.H.?
                  I have indeed - Wrexham is my home town

William Aston Hall is well suited to ... panto

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
                    • Feb 2012

I'm glad if they're keeping the hall. It's so warm and intimate, unlike the Bridgewater Hall (which is so big that whenever I've seen the Halle there, it's never been more than two-thirds full).

And I'm over the moon about Petrenko. It's because of him I started going to orchestral concerts again. Just after he'd started there, my sister and her family dropped into the Phil's Open Day out of curiosity (they're not classical music fans). She told me there was "this young Russian bloke with a great sense of humour" conducting, so I Googled him, found out he was supposed to be hot stuff, and decided it was worth going up there to a concert before he inevitably moved on.

Several years later and we've enjoyed a number of wonderful performances -- good to know we can see him for a while yet.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                      • Nov 2010

Manchester certainly had a 'proper' concert hall with wonderful acoustics ( but with uncomfortable audience seats ):
                      the Free Trade Hall.
                      It's a tragedy that it is now apparently an hotel but as I haven't been to Manchester ( my home town) for about 10 years I can't verify that for sure.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I only visited Liverpool and the Philharmonic Hall once, in the Sargent days but was very impressed with the hall and its acoustics.
                        Rather a journey from Kent/London suburbs, even when I was young though.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                          It's a tragedy that it is now apparently an hotel but as I haven't been to Manchester ( my home town) for about 10 years I can't verify that for sure.
                          It's a hotel and conference centre (I went to a conference there a couple of years ago). The seats are more comfortable now, but the acoustics are ruined!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                            Manchester certainly had a 'proper' concert hall with wonderful acoustics
                            Sorry, I never realised it was a dedicated concert hall! I think it was the Free Trade bit that confused me - that did not seem to have much to do with music. I never heard a concert there.

The Bridgewater is much bigger, of course. So you have more seats to sell. But who wants to sit at the back of a hall like that? I wouldn't!

But this thread is not about Manchester.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                              • Nov 2010

.....through 2021, that is:

Vasily P. clearly loves a challenge, as he's taking over the RPO in a few years (barring our idiot Preznit destroying modern civilization, of course):

Support London’s most versatile orchestra and receive a host of exclusive benefits, Join RPO Friends with great benefits including saving up to fifty per cent off tickets!

The RPO press release also indicates that he'll be giving up his Oslo Phil post in 2020. He does really seem to want to go all hands on deck with the RPO. Quite a catch for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X