X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Sinopoli's Mahler 8 is my second favourite after the Solti and has much to commend it, not least a fine line up of soloists. A badly under-rated recording that deserves better. I bought his 5th when it first came out and while I've not heard it for several years, awful is not my recollection at all.
    I acquired Sinopoli's 5th quite recently and I found it to be excellent (as did Michael Kennedy in his Gramophone review in Nov 85).
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I have the [Barbirolli] issue with the newly recorded missing horn part. As I don't know the recording without the correct horn bit could someone who knows about such things kindly provide a timed reference as to where it is? It will, if nothing else, persuade me to give it another listen.
      No-one has answered this little poser yet. Do our resident horn experts know?
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

No-one has answered this little poser yet. Do our resident horn experts know?
        I know LaurieWatt does as he knows Nick Busch, but LW is currently in the USA I believe. There was talk of him going to hear the LPO & Vladimir J performing Mahler 5 in the Avery Fisher Hall in NYC and that concert is on Monday. On topics!! One hopes he will return with an answer to your question... and a review of the concert!

EDIT: just noticed that this Gramophone review indicates the position of the missing bit: 9 bars before fig. 20 ... http://www.gramophone.co.uk/HallofFa.../Review/Mahler
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I know LaurieWatt does as he knows Nick Busch, but LW is currently in the USA I believe. There was talk of him going to hear the LPO & Vladimir J performing Mahler 5 in the Avery Fisher Hall in NYC and that concert is on Monday. On topics!! One hopes he will return with an answer to your question... and a review of the concert!

EDIT: just noticed that this Gramophone review indicates the position of the missing bit: 9 bars before fig. 20 ... http://www.gramophone.co.uk/HallofFa.../Review/Mahler
          Thanks Caliban. Afraid I'm not much of a score reader and don't have the Mahler 5 to hand so I really need a timed reference....

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Ah, Cali. you have just reminded me! i have a Dover publication of this work!!! Must have a look at it.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nimrod
              • Mar 2012

Dear Petrushka

I could not help but notice your plight, so I have just played JB's Mahler 5, 3rd movement and I can inform you that the entrance of the horn obbligato at 12minutes and 13 seconds is where EMi inserted the retake. Jb's 'grunt' would, at the time of recording, have been more a sign of disapproval that the horn had not entered! I think it is a tribute to the EMI engineers that you have not been able to recognise where this bit of playing was inserted!
              Enjoy!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Pristine have just released a new remastering of the 1947 Walter Mahler 5... you can try the 2nd movement complete in 320kbps/mp3 form, that's all I've heard so far but it does sound remarkable! No wonder Andrew Rose says he's especially proud of this one!

If I can persuade myself to listen to Mahler 5 just now (currently short of time & obsessed with Schumann) I'll get this one in Pristine's always impeccable 24/48...

Superb award-winning historic classical, jazz and blues recordings restored and remastered to the highest standards. CDs, HD downloads and streaming services.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                  Dear Petrushka

I could not help but notice your plight, so I have just played JB's Mahler 5, 3rd movement and I can inform you that the entrance of the horn obbligato at 12minutes and 13 seconds is where EMi inserted the retake. Jb's 'grunt' would, at the time of recording, have been more a sign of disapproval that the horn had not entered! I think it is a tribute to the EMI engineers that you have not been able to recognise where this bit of playing was inserted!
                  Enjoy!
                  Many thanks for this, Nimrod. The JB recording is well down the list of my favourite versions of Mahler 5 (the finale is way to slow for one thing) but I will take the opportunity to listen again with your information in mind.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Pristine have just released a new remastering of the 1947 Walter Mahler 5... you can try the 2nd movement complete in 320kbps/mp3 form, that's all I've heard so far but it does sound remarkable! No wonder Andrew Rose says he's especially proud of this one!

If I can persuade myself to listen to Mahler 5 just now (currently short of time & obsessed with Schumann) I'll get this one in Pristine's always impeccable 24/48...

http://pristineclassical.com/LargeWo...al/PASC382.php
                    This is great info, jlw, many thanks - hadn't got round to hearing this performance, and this would appear to be the way forward
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

OK - FINALLY got around to hearing the Pristine Restoration of the 1947 Walter Mahler 5, in its 24/48 Flac download guise...

Cardus called the 5th "one of the 7 wonders of the symphonic world"... Andrew Rose's version of the 1947 Walter is officially a miracle, and any Mahlerian who doesn't buy it is officially a Muppet. And don't ask me what officially means.

Or as The Player in Rosencrantz&Guildenstern said, "Nobody leaves this room without buying this Mahler 5th!... well, not without a very good reason!"

Shocked, like me, at your latewinter heatingbills, perhaps... oh come on, it's only 9 euros for lossless...
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-03-13, 03:08.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Another one to buy, JLW!!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

http://pristineclassical.com/LargeWo...al/PASC382.php
                          Ironically, I just finished listening to the same performance a few minutes before I read this, but not the Pristine version, instead the Sony Walter/Mahler box. It would be hard to imagine Pristine bettering the remastering done for this box.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

But until someone has both, we'll never know... can someone with that Sony box try the 320 kbps Pristine excerpt? It's not 24/48 and not really a fair comp. with a CD, but may give some idea...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

But until someone has both, we'll never know... can someone with that Sony box try the 320 kbps Pristine excerpt? It's not 24/48 and not really a fair comp. with a CD, but may give some idea...
                              The Sony Mahler Walter box is a spectacular bargain .

Comment

• Beef Oven

Been listening to the Pristine recording on and off since the early hours of yesterday and I'm really impressed.

Does anyone know where I can buy the CD?

Comment

Working...
                                X