• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Great minds Ams !
    Cheers Barbie and Ams for your perfect stereo coordination!!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Great minds Ams !

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

I first heard the 1947 Walter performance a few weeks ago when I had purchased the Walter Sony Box. It does have a rightness about it that I find in all of Walter's Mahler.
        My personal favorite in modern sound is split between the NYP Bernstein and the SACD MTT/SFSO. The latter does have a prolonged adigietto, but I think that MTT maintains the intensity in the slow tempo.

Comment

• Wensleydale Blue

So, would I be right in thinking that Mahler stopped being recorded after about 1980! Don’t get me wrong, some of these ancient recordings are amongst my favourites too – the live Tennstedt for sure, although I find Lenny’s VPO a bit ponderous at times and not that well recorded, but there must be a few more modern versions that people enjoy. The ones that I listen to the most are Inbal’s idiosyncratic Frankfurter recording on Denon and Chailly’s with the RCO, both of which have superb modern sound, as does Shipway’s much neglected but rather fine RPO version on their own label. I also have Rattle’s divisive BPO 5th version with its controlled brass and lovely string playing and an interestingly lush version by Saraste. The boxed set version by Bertini aint half bad and the Kondrashin M5 has crackingly raucous horns in the to be expected Russian fashion. The ones that I’d say stay away from are those by Zinman, Gatti and Dohnanyi, which don’t seem to add much to my listening experience.

Interestingly this was the first Mahler that I really got to love and, last year, I am a bit ashamed to say, it was the first that I had the pleasure of hearing live – The BBC Phil under Mena at the Bridgewater Hall, and I wasn’t disappointed one bit. I do envy all you Octogenarians who remember well a proms concert with such and such in 1964!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Wensleydale Blue View Post
            I do envy all you Octogenarians who remember well a proms concert with such and such in 1964!
            Less of the octo, sexa will do!

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I am a VPO Lenny fan too . WAlter in 1947 next and I have recently had a conversion to the Barbirolli/NPO which I had found less thrilling in the past probably because it was a bit more mainstream than his 6 and 9

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Wensleydale Blue View Post
                So, would I be right in thinking that Mahler stopped being recorded after about 1980! Don’t get me wrong, some of these ancient recordings are amongst my favourites too – the live Tennstedt for sure, although I find Lenny’s VPO a bit ponderous at times and not that well recorded, but there must be a few more modern versions that people enjoy. The ones that I listen to the most are Inbal’s idiosyncratic Frankfurter recording on Denon and Chailly’s with the RCO, both of which have superb modern sound, as does Shipway’s much neglected but rather fine RPO version on their own label. I also have Rattle’s divisive BPO 5th version with its controlled brass and lovely string playing and an interestingly lush version by Saraste. The boxed set version by Bertini aint half bad and the Kondrashin M5 has crackingly raucous horns in the to be expected Russian fashion. The ones that I’d say stay away from are those by Zinman, Gatti and Dohnanyi, which don’t seem to add much to my listening experience.

Interestingly this was the first Mahler that I really got to love and, last year, I am a bit ashamed to say, it was the first that I had the pleasure of hearing live – The BBC Phil under Mena at the Bridgewater Hall, and I wasn’t disappointed one bit. I do envy all you Octogenarians who remember well a proms concert with such and such in 1964!
                Don't fret Wensley, music continues to reveal its treasures in the here-and-now, and in twenty years you'll be recalling that Mena performance and many others to come I hope

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Not everything gets worse, WB.
                  Back in the day, if you wanted to buy a set of Mahler Symphonies, you needed to negotiate easy terms with the local vinyl baron, borrow a morris Oxford to get them home, and then start saving for a gramophone to play them on.

Edit: Back on topic, I have an anonymous tape of a version of #5. Would be interesting to know who it is.....

If anybody was that interested , and expert enough , I could copy it and post it to them !!
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 06-03-13, 21:19.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    you needed to negotiate easy terms with the local vinyl baron, borrow a morris Oxford to get them home

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

No-one has mentioned Karajan yet. Richard Osborne was fairly dismissive about his recording of the 5th calling it (from memory) 'an expert run-through' but I think it is a good deal better than that. However, we are badly in need of recordings of Karajan's live Mahler which was something else again. I particularly recall R3 broadcasts of the 5th and 6th from Salzburg in 1978. My off-air tapes went long ago, alas, and I am surprised that these haven't resurfaced as commercial releases.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• JFLL
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        No-one has mentioned Karajan yet.
                        Or Sinopoli. I bought it in the charity shop today for 50p, but haven't heard it yet. Is it awful? (I also got the Szell Mahler 4 also for 50p., which they say isn't awful at all.]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                          Or Sinopoli. I bought it in the charity shop today for 50p, but haven't heard it yet. Is it awful? (I also got the Szell Mahler 4 also for 50p., which they say isn't awful at all.]
                          The Szell 4 is a classic of the gramophone !

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                            No not awful at all. Not in the Lenny class, perhaps, and I think the fairly early digital sound has a glassy edge to it but ok for all of that. It's a good few years since I last heard it so can't recall much more. Committed Mahlerian as I am, I'm ashamed to report that I've never heard the Szell Mahler 4 .
                            Last edited by Petrushka; 06-03-13, 23:56. Reason: typo
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

For a truly awful Mahler 5, may I offer:

Which I paid a small quantity of good money for in an Oxfam shop some years ago.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X