• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Mahler: Symphony No.5

Yes, I know, another Mahler thread, but you njust cvannot be away from this man's fascinating world.

I write this thread, because, I know a lot of people here have discreditied Valery Gergiev's cycle. I am listening to at the time of writing to this work on Youtube, and although this is a loive recording with Gergiev conducting, I find it a very rewarding listen and I have Lenny's rather indulgent interpretation on CD, amongst oithers.

I am rather interested to hear from you members here, on your thoughts?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • Madame Suggia
    • Sep 2012

I like Lenny's VPO Mahler 5

That's the one I've chosen to loive with.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
      I like Lenny's VPO Mahler 5

That's the one I've chosen to loive with.

Me too... coupled with the fact that it summons up the magnificent Prom I attended (front arena) when Lenny and the VPO played it, and he had to tell everyone to 'go to bed' after prolonged ovations.

But I treasure the Barbirolli / New Philharmonia recording from which I learnt the work (fab horn solos from Nick Busch). Also the live Tennstedt in the RFH on 13.12.88 which I was at. I also have Chailly/RCO and Dudamel/SBSOV - good to have alternative readings in good sound, but the former 3 are my favourites...

It's the first Mahler I got to know... Plus it's the only Mahler I've ever played (1st trombone ).
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

For me the best performance I ever heard live or recorded was given by Abbado and the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester at the Proms in the early nineties. I do hope that R3 can be persuaded to give it another airing as I have lost my off-air recording.

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Me too... coupled with the fact that it summons up the magnificent Prom I attended (front arena) when Lenny and the VPO played it, and he had to tell everyone to 'go to bed' after prolonged ovations.

But I treasure the Barbirolli / New Philharmonia recording from which I learnt the work (fab horn solos from Nick Busch). Also the live Tennstedt in the RFH on 13.12.88 which I was at. I also have Chailly/RCO and Dudamel/SBSOV - good to have alternative readings in good sound, but the former 3 are my favourites...

It's the first Mahler I got to know... Plus it's the only Mahler I've ever played (1st trombone ).
          YOU were at THAT Lenny Prom Cal!!?? SO was I - electric!! The CD was recorded a few days later in Frankfurt. But also that Barbirolli /NPO is special too. Remember they left out a few bars of the horn part and had to get Nick Busch back at another Watford session to re-do them for the CD!!! How can you lose a few horn bars?? By all means lose a few horn palyers but not the notes

Another piece that I've too many versions of

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I bet that was really good to oplay that Calki!! Envy. I would love to as well!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

The fifth is perhaps best of the Gergiev series albeit with some recording quality issues previously discussed at some length around these parts.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I, too, was present at the VPO/Bernstein and if I live to be as old as Methuselah I will never forget it. What an evening!

I was also present at the LPO/Tennstedt in 1988, mentioned by Caliban, and also at the Gergiev Prom. Moreover, I've heard Abbado (many times), Solti, Jansons and Haitink amongst others in this piece so I think you could say I like it!

The LSO/Gergiev drives me to distraction and I'm afraid the Barbirolli comes off the rails for me with a ponderous finale that has me shouting 'Get on with it!!' at the CD player. I have the JB issue with the newly recorded missing horn part. As I don't know the recording without the correct horn bit could someone who knows about such things kindly provide a timed reference as to where it is? It will, if nothing else, persuade me to give it another listen.

Anyone who loves Mahler 5 simply must get Bruno Walter's 1947 recording. It may be in mono and over 66 years old but it knocks spots off most modern recordings with the most wonderful Adagietto you will ever hear. No Death in Venice nonsense here!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Anyone who loves Mahler 5 simply must get Bruno Walter's 1947 recording. It may be in mono and over 66 years old but it knocks spots off most modern recordings with the most wonderful Adagietto you will ever hear. No Death in Venice nonsense here!
                  Wow... First time I've heard of that. Must investigate!

EDIT: Would you advise the Naxos or the Sony manifestation of that recording?

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Wow... First time I've heard of that. Must investigate!

EDIT: Would you advise the Naxos or the Sony manifestation of that recording?
                    Cheap as chips here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-No-...2522108&sr=1-5

or here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...2522108&sr=1-1

Not heard the Naxos, I have the Sony recording. Be prepared for 1947 sonics but you will soon forget all that as the performance grips. I know FHG is keen on this one as well.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

This was the version to get when I first started listening to Mahler symphony no 5 - would anyone agree with me that Walter's pacing of the Adagietto is nigh on perfect?

You might also like to consider this 7-CD Walter/Mahler symphonies 1, 2, 4, 5, 9 set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walter...2522598&sr=1-1
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-13, 23:32. Reason: another set

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Caliban old thing I would strongly recommend getting the recent Sony Classical Mahler Walter set - you get not only his wonderful Columbia SO Mahler 1 and 2 but the earlier Mahler 1 - his excellent 4 - that sensational 5 and the first stereo recording of the Ninth which is marvellous even if not quite as marvellous as the 1938 VPO .

Bargain of bargains http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walter-conducts-Mahler/dp/B006XOBFTM/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362522752&sr=1-2

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          This was the version to get when I first started listening to Mahler symphony no 5 - would anyone agree with me that Walter's pacing of the Adagietto is nigh on perfect?
                          Petrushka, for one - see above! .....

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          .... with the most wonderful Adagietto you will ever hear. No Death in Venice nonsense here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

You might also like to consider this 7-CD Walter/Mahler symphonies 1, 2, 4, 5, 9 set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walter...2522598&sr=1-1
                            Great minds Ams !

Comment

• amateur51

Petrushka, for one - see above! .....
                              August company indeed

Comment

Working...
                              X