• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Distractfold; HCMF, Thursday 24/11/16

I had originally planned to use the Thursday of the Festival as a "day off" - in previous years, my brain has become full by this point, and I thought I'd need a bit of reflection time. As it happened, I woke up eager for more - and, having been very impressed by the another timbre CD of Marek Poliks' hull treader, booked a ticket online for the concert given by the ensemble playing on that CD.

Distractfold is an ensemble of seven young Musicians, all of whom are proficient both on instruments associated with the Musics of the Western Classical traditions (String Trio and clarinet) and with using computer sound manipulation. They presented a impressively stimulating and enjoyable programme of six pieces, two for technologically-generated and/or amplified sounds alone, two for "acoustic" performance, and two combining both. As often happens in these events, there was a technological "glitch" or two - one of the many cables from mixing desks to stage had come loose, and there was a few moments whilst they tried to sort out which was the culprit (a bit like having to tighten all the bulbs on the Christmas tree to identify which is the one that isn't working) - as, at one point, this resulted in a gently poppy electronic beat, the three girls ("girls"! all in their early twenties, and looking about ten years younger to my decrepit eyes) waiting on stage decided to do a little dance. They are all used to this happening and take it in their stride - just as they are as fluent with traditional string and wind-playing techniques as they are incorporating manipulating laptops and pedals as they play (not a shoe in sight as stockinged and bare feet co-ordinated effects and events with their feet). A delight to watch.

And to hear. Works written in the last seven years by Hanna Harrison (b Sweden, 1961), Alexis Guneratne (Luxembourg, 1982), Sam Salem (UK, 1982), Svetlana Maras (Serbia 1985), and Mauricio Pauly (Costa Rica, 1976) enfolded Liza Lim's wonderful Inguz for 'cello and clarinet from 1996 (the year of her first appearance at the Festival). A truly international choice of composers, each producing works as distinct from each other as the nations of their origins - some delicate, some with a liquid sensuality, some abrasive and gritty in texture, some hovering on the edge of audibility, some making the walls shake. And all of it again performed with total dedication and enthusiasm by the performers who really looked as if they were enjoying themselves as much as the applause that met their performances showed the audience enjoyed their work.

Excellent concert - good call to go, and definitely an ensemble to get to see again whenever possible.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

A pity, though, that Christian Winther Christiensen's String Trio from 2008-9 was dropped from the programme - he was the only composer whose photograph appeared in the Festival Programme!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Rather an odd programme at the RFH last night with the LPO and Jurowski.

It kicked off with Glinka's Two Spanish Overtures, the first one is better known as the Jota Aragonesa. Then came Prokofiev's Cello Concerto with Steven Isserlis. There was a misfortune a few minutes in to the scherzo with what looked like a broken string, so our soloist left the platform to do a repair. After the interval came Darzohmiski's Baga Yaga, not a patch on Liadov's, and a lively performance of Tchaikovsky's Little Russian Symphony.

As far as I could tell from row T Steven Isserlis played well, I just wish he had a more generous tone. Soulful stares at the ceiling are no substitute for output, and the orchestra swamped him more than somewhat. I have to say that I think the concerto is unbearably tedious, carrying all the worst features of Prokofiev's style. If in doubt bung in a tuba led march sequence seems to be the motto. I know that somebody will shoot me down in flames, all I can say is that I rarely find myself praying for the end as I did last night.

They do a nice salted caramel ice cream!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          As far as I could tell from row T Steven Isserlis played well, I just wish he had a more generous tone. Soulful stares at the ceiling are no substitute for output, and the orchestra swamped him more than somewhat.
          A feeling that's often occurred to me when I've seen this artist Live.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Ensemble Resonanze; HCMF, Friday, 25/11/16

A bit disappointing for me. Last year, I encountered the Music of Alexander Schubert (b1979) at the Festival for the first time: it was utterly astonishing - celver, witty, powerful, dramatic and wrily self-deprecating, using distortions of familiar sonic and visual patterns and effects from popular culture to create Music that teetered on the knife-edge between the expected and the surprising. Since the programme was announced, then, I'd been looking forward to the performance of his Scanners (2013) in this concert, expecting more of the same. Well, "more of the same" is rather what I felt we were offered - the same strobe-like movements from the players; the same lighting effects; the same "stuck in a groove" phrase pattern repeats and distortions. Except that the lighting didn't synchronize with the movement as sharply in St Paul's Hall as they had last year in the more intimate space of Phipp's Hall; nor did the performers seem nearly as convinced by what they were asked to do as their equivalents last year; and the Music lacked the tight funk that was so exciting last year. It seemed more like a student trying their hand at "a Schubert" having heard last year's piece, and not quite getting the energy.

Elliott Sharp's Oceanus Procellarum, written earlier this year and (like the Schubert) receiving its UK premiere, was less of a let-down for me, because I have a wider experience of his work than of Schubert's - I'm not entirely moved by it, and this piece sort-of did what I've found his work does generally; a sequence of events, each of them with good ideas, but nothing particularly astonishing - and whilst I felt that it sounded like the sections of the 35 minute work should be giving a sense of leading from one to the other, I couldn't on this one hearing detect where this "narrative" lay - if, indeed, such was intended.

Still, not a waste of time - several ear-tickling moments, and solo Bass Clarinettist Gareth Davis gave himself totally to the piece, and obviously believed in it far, far more than I did. And a very interesting chat between Sharp and Robert Worby beforehand about Sharp's life and aesthetics.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Finnissy and Lang; HCMF, Sunday, 27/11/16, 1:00pm

And finally for me this year, the UK premieres of two modern "takes" on the lieder cycle, both performed by pianist Mark Knoop and Soprano Juliet Fraser (who had also, as a neat coincidence, been the soloist in my first event at this year's Festival).

Michael Finnissy's Andersen-Liederkreis is a three-quarter hour long work, making connections between the texts of Hans Christian Anderson and Schubert's Winterreise (a prominent rhythm from the penultimate song in the Schubert work recurs in various guises throughout Finnissy's). The piano Music - which some members of the audience described as "surprisingly tonal" - frequently reminded me of Ives' writing in the Concord Sonata (especially the bit before the solo flute joins in). It requires a player of Knoop's considerable abilities - just as the vocal part needs someone as dedicated as Fraser to the variety of vocal techniques, and as able to present them in such an effortlessly Musical manner).

But - and maybe it was this ryddu cold which was already affecting me by then - it was all a little "respectable", "well-crafted", "effective" ... and a bit dull at times. The narration of The Emperor's New Clothes (surely an irresistible opportunity for a composer to get his own back on the lazy ears that so regularly resort to this story to "discuss" new Art) was charming and mildly amusing ... and terribly disappointingly literal and unimaginative.

The second part of the concert (no interval - the two performers' stamina is breath-taking) consisted of Bernard Lang's The Cold Trip; his own reworking of material from Winterreise. I frequently find Lang's work variable: his Differenz/Wiederholung 2 is one of the most powerful and astonishing works of the last Century, a great achievement, harrowing and implacable. His more recent thirty strong Monadologie series (of which The Cold Trip is one of the most recent) ... don't quite do it for me. The composer describes the Monadologies as "meta-compositions"; compositions "about" other compositions - he takes prominent fragments from works familiar in the Nineteenth Century repertoire, and builds his own elaborations around these fragments, so that little hints of familiar Music emerge from the Langian "landscape" - Lang refers to these as "palimpsests".

In The Cold Trip, these fragments are taken from the second half of Winterreise - they are distorted by the two performers and the pianist also plays a laptop to produce further distortions. Jerky, continually repeated fragments allow the composer to build up expected patterns which he can then disrupt with another loop. It was quite entertaining, and I think that I'd prefer to hear this work again rather than the Finnissy - but there is such a sense of "we've been here before" with this composer - as if his works are themselves being churned out on some meta-loop of their own; the composer trapped by his own technical ideas.

So - something of a slight anti-climactic ending to my visits to this year's Festival. Not too much, though - anything Fraser and Knoop do is always rewarding. (AND I finally managed to buy a copy of the Carl Rosman Caerulean CD, advertised as being on sale "throughout the Festival" - fibbers!)

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
                • Feb 2012

Jennifer Pike: Holy Trinity Church, Wimbledon Broadway, Saturday, 10/12/16

I still can't get over hearing such a hugely talented musician appearing in a not-very-big church just ten minutes' walk from my home. Especially as she gave a sensational performance of the Dvorak violin concerto.

She was appearing with the Wimbledon Symphony Orchestra, an amateur orchestra giving a handful of concerts a year. I guess it's a real test of a potentially great performer to play in a small venue with questionable acoustics and difficult layout (the trombones and double basses seemed to be behind a pillar), non-professional accompaniment, and an audience some of whom had probably never heard of her (overheard in the interval queue for the bar: "I don't really like all this solo stuff, i'd rather have orchestral pieces") and who seemed to have turned up mainly to support the orchestra (and yes, nothing wrong in that, but surprised few other people had latched on to it as a concert in a million). There were also no more than 150 people there, if that.

The performance? Well, right from the start you could tell the revered Ms Pike was going to deiiver, and she did. The warmth of the sound, the texture and the precision of the notes were absolutely gorgeous. Which makes it all sound so technical, but she also played with great emotion during the more passionate sections. It's not one of my favourite violin concertos, but I was hooked right from the start and she made me cherish each note she played, so much that I didn't want to let it go.

The funny thing is, her stunning performance made the orchestra sound good as well. Obviously they were all playing their hearts out for her, but I've heard them before, and the violins sometimes sound a bit ragged, and thin. (I'm sure the strings are the most difficult section for amateur orchestras because there are so many of them and it must be difficult to get people of the right standard. The woodwind last night seemed to nail it.) But because her playing was so sublime, you forgot the orchestra except when they came in at the right times, and sounded really good.

The only other time I've seen Jennifer was at a Lunchtime Prom three or four years ago when she was playing chamber music. I like to think i've noticed she's matured :-) For a start, this time she wore her hair down rather in that very ageing "hair up" style on her publicity photo. She also seems to have a more sensuous approach both in her playing and also her bearing -- she gave the conductor a really flirty "I'm ready" smile before he launched into the third movement. So lots to look forward to in the years ahead.

I'd love to know how the finances work out. The ticket sales can't have been more than £2,000 at best, which would hardly cover Jennifer's fee, let alone with (presumably) the conductor's fee and also any ringers they brought in to beef up specific sections. Maybe she does it as outreach. Or maybe they had a generous donor.

Whatever, it was a very special, humbling experience and I shall remember it for a long time.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

That's a lovely review LL, thanks . Sounds like a special evening.

I was at the RFH last night for this:

performers
                  London Philharmonic Orchestra
                  Vladimir Jurowski, conductor
                  Jan Lisiecki, piano
                  repertoire
                  Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka: Valse-fantasie in B minor
                  Fryderyk Chopin: Piano Concerto No.1
                  Sergey Rachmaninov: Symphony No.1

I'd decided to go for the last choir seat, in a very full hall, and that proved to be a good decision.

A lovely mild winter evening down by the Thames, and the SBC was quite literally throbbing with activity. the last moments of a Gamelan workshop day ( or something ) down at the Clore Ballroom end, and a Bulgarian choir singing Bulgarian songs of joy and peace down by the Cafe.T hey were excellent, although fighting somewhat against the hubbub. A mix of classical and folk idioms, I'd say, and nicely presented by some excellent singers. A pity they couldn't have had a more conducive ( quieter) backdrop, but great to see/hear, and well appreciated by the early evening crowd.

In the main hall, the Glinka opener was a treat, just the sort of thing to drive the cares of the day away in a hurry. Played and conducted like they meant it, it set the Chopin up nicely.

Lisiecki seems to have been the big draw of the evening, and he delivered in great style. Still very young looking, ( and looking somewhat like a rather young but fast tracking consultant doctor in his red bow tie), he plays with utter assurance, deft and powerful in turn. As Ever VJ gave the work the full benefit of his efforts. He made his intentions clear with a really heavy duty opening, and he never let up. The audience absolutely loved it, loads of clapping between movements, and a really rousing reception at the end. "Bravo Man", who had also gone for a choir seat just near mine as luck had it, went bonkers. We got a lovely Schumann encore, and any number of call backs.

All that though, terrific though it was, was just a warm up for the Rach. This work seems to have a special place for Jurowski, and he made the case as well as anybody could, with his wonderful orchestra.
                  Far too many highlights to mention across this great work,really. The third movement was beautifully controlled.I love the way that Rach seems to play with us, always threatening to go all big and blousey, but always holding back and saving it for the finale. And what a finale it was. The march sections a startling contrast to the Grupetto sections. As the work hurtled to its conclusion, Jurowski nearly came off the podium with the effort of demanding more and yet more of the brass. I was about 15 yards away from the rostrum, and about 5 from the trombones , and it was a sight and sound to behold.
                  This was the one that should have brought the house down, but we got merely a great ovation and about four call backs.

I've said it before, but VJ and the LPO are something very special indeed. I did have a couple of minus marks to comment on, but I won't bother. Moments, times like this, are one of the special things about classical music for me. 100 highly skilled musicians, a great and committed conductor, an intently captivated audience all focused on a wonderful piece of music written 100 years ago, and giving it new life. What a fabulous example of human cooperative capability.

Oh, and they recorded it so hopefully you can all hear it sometime.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 15-12-16, 21:43.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

My last concerts in the plural were part of an event held at my place of employ entitled "Historically Informed Performance of Electroacoustic Music" (take that, Eine Alpensymphonie! ) which featured performances of Stockhausen's Mikrophonie I, Kontakte and Mantra with a masterclass on the last-named; music for instruments and electronics by Berio, Boulez and Ferneyhough; electronic pieces by Nono, Ligeti, Lachenmann, Raaijmakers, Boerman and Koenig; and various talkings. A concentrated dose of the great classics!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                      My last concerts in the plural were part of an event held at my place of employ entitled "Historically Informed Performance of Electroacoustic Music" (take that, Eine Alpensymphonie! ) which featured performances of Stockhausen's Mikrophonie I, Kontakte and Mantra with a masterclass on the last-named; music for instruments and electronics by Berio, Boulez and Ferneyhough; electronic pieces by Nono, Ligeti, Lachenmann, Raaijmakers, Boerman and Koenig; and various talkings. A concentrated dose of the great classics!
                      Wow. HIPP electroacoustic.
                      Kinda demonstrates how far behind the rural counties of England are. They sound like a couple of great concerts.

Just out of curiosity, do they sell little pots of ice cream during the interval at these events?
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 16-12-16, 17:23.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, do they sell little pots of ice cream during the interval at these events?
                        Not as such. Admission is free though, you can't ask for much more than that.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          Not as such. Admission is free though, you can't ask for much more than that.
                          sounds better and better.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            London Philharmonic Orchestra... Jurowski... Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1... Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 1.... throbbing... Lisiecki... something very special indeed.... fabulous...
                            Fantastic review ts! Toyed with the idea of going to this one, failed to get round to it....

Glad you loved it !
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Marvellous reviews there guys and gals.

I was at this today and it was also on t'wireless...

3.15 - LIVE from MediaCityUK, Salford
                              Presented by Tom Redmond
                              Dutilleux, orch Hesketh: Au Gre des ondes (UK premiere)
                              Delius: Brigg Fair
                              Vaughan Williams: On Wenlock Edge
                              Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales
                              Robin Tritschler (tenor)
                              BBC Philharmonic
                              John Wilson (conductor).

Delius was first,best part of the afternoon.
                              Wonderful sumptuous rendition,Beechamesque in every way.

Dutilleux ? Originally composed for piano as continuity music for French Radio,which is what it sounded like to me.
                              Quite enjoyable,the orchestration by Kenneth Hesketh was excellent IMO.

RVW was a disappointment.
                              I'm not familiar with Robin Tritschler but his voice just didn't seem up to Wenlock.
                              Maybe he had an off day but the performance lacked emotion and he couldn't be heard above the orchestra some of the time.
                              He almost redeemed himself in Bredon though.
                              Maybe it came over better on the radio.

Ravel,I'm not a big lover of his orchestral music but VNES was excellently done

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Great reviews ferney, Lancashire Lass & teamsaint - many thanks for a gripping read!

Comment

Working...
                                X