X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    ...the stripe relief was in the same colour as the skirt.
    So how could you see it then?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
      I guess that would be shadowing, and my trusty contact lenses.
      ( one of the great inventions).

plus I was in the front row, or Zone 5 ()as the Anvil is pleased to describe it.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
        Because it was higher up?

I shared Cali's confusion - I think there's a skirt involved and a two-coloured top which has a diagonal stripe which is the same colour as the skirt.

Bet yer really glad you started this, ts
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Because it was higher up?

I shared Cali's confusion - I think there's a skirt involved and a two-coloured top which has a diagonal stripe which is the same colour as the skirt.

Bet yer really glad you started this, ts
          oh FFS, no wonder JLW gets cross with you lot !!

right.
          the skirt was black .
          the top was black.
          both had , in raised relief, diagonal narrow stripes, maybe half a centimetre apart, across the whole fabric.

I could see it. It wasn't that difficult.

anyway, I sure do hope JLW DOES pop by now, I only mentioned it because I got a flea in my ear for not describing Pat Kops dress whsn I heard/saw her playing the stravinsky.
          and no, I'm not going to describe that again, check my review up thread from whenever it was.

Edit, despite everything, the skirt top thing is probably a lot easier to describe than the Kurtag encore....
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

"Self-colour" in fashion is used either (somewhat pretentiously) to mean "all one colour"; or more meaningfully (as TS uses it here) a garment which is all-one-colour BUT features subtle shades or different textures, so in some lighting conditions you can see a stripe or pattern, i.e "black-on-black"....

Just like this....https://theartstack.com/artist/ad-re...act-painting-1

or this.... https://theartstack.com/artist/ad-re...act-painting-2

I've seen one of these at my local Tate, they're very beautiful and quite mesmeric to spend time with...
            I don't have a dress with this effect, but I do have a Mondrian one. It's too short for me to wear now, but it hangs on the painted screen in my bedroom, and I still enjoy its company!

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-02-16, 00:01.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

the skirt was black .
              the top was black.
              both had , in raised relief, diagonal narrow stripes, maybe half a centimetre apart, across the whole fabric.
              Isn't that what's known as a "Dress" or a "gown" (or even a "suit"), rather than a "Skirt and top"?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Does Mr Reinhardt pay royalties to Malevich?!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Isn't that what's known as a "Dress" or a "gown" (or even a "suit"), rather than a "Skirt and top"?
                  ask Jayne , when she starts her new " Fashion in the concert hall" thread, coming soon......

Thanks for the Help, Jayne.
                  ( it was a skirt and a top though...)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

ask Jayne , when she starts her new " Fashion in the concert hall" thread, coming soon......

Thanks for the Help, Jayne.
                    ( it was a skirt and a top though...)
                    Yes, right again - from your description it certainly wasn't a dress, gown, or suit (skirt suits or trouser suits always have tailored jackets). There is such a thing as a "two-piece dress" but I think we'll leave that one on the hanger....

(BTW - the Kopatchinskaya/Alsop/OAE Schumann/Brahms concert is on R3 on 8 February - this Monday - at 1930 hrs.)
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-02-16, 04:33.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

I'm led here by teamsaint from the the Pat Kop thread where I reported on last night's concert at RFH. I possess no great descriptive skill in this area but can report that PK was wearing a long black dress, very attractive, not low-cut or not in any way remarkable or quirky. Bare feet were only on show as she walked on and off.

Incidentally, we went to the pre-concert panel chat themed around Schumann's state of mental health including Marin Alsop and Jessica Duchen (who has a book coming out). It was linked to the Southbank's Changing Minds Festival and strangely, while waiting for this talk, I had been chatting to the people on the Samaritans' stand situated right next-door and mentioned the composer's attempted suicide leap into the Rhine. As well as the Violin Concerto, we were about to hear his Rhenish Symphony.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

RSNO's Valentine concert tonite at the Usher Hall. Conductor, Jean-Luc Picard and piano soloist Boris Giltburg.

Tchaikovsky. Italian Caprice.

Rachmaninov. Piano concerto no. 2

Mahler. Adagietto from Symphony 5.

Richard Strauss. Rosenkavelier Suite.

Terrific playing from all concerned and a packed hall! Very encouraging. Only the first movt. Of the concerto spoiled by a woman should coughed loudly all the way through.

Off to bed now... zzz

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          Conductor, Jean-Luc Picard
                          Eh...?!!

Ah! http://www.rsno.org.uk/live/artistic...claude-picard/

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

With the help of Beefy ! and Yell.com, I plumped for this lunchtime concert at the RAM today.

Sainsbury Royal Academy Soloists

Friday, 04.03.2016 13:05, Duke’s Hall
                            Clio Gould director

Biber Battalia à 10
                            Erkki-Sven Tüür Insula Deserta
                            Gareth Moorcraft new work (world premiere)
                            Shostakovich arr. Barshai Chamber Symphony op.110a

There was a good turnout, and a slightly rearranged programme, for this interesting looking affair.
                            The concert started with the Tuur work, ( apparently the drunken antics in the Biber would have been too much for us to take straight off), and it was a fabulous introduction to this composer's work, for me at least.
                            A man with a solid body of work behind him, he doesn't seem to be all that well appreciated in the UK. Insula Deserta raids a number of influences, including rock IMO, and builds on some familiar sounding late C20 Baltic sounds to create something that I felt exciting and original. Not an easy thing to do, but the fusions are stylishly interwoven, and invite the sort of dramatic presentation that they got from the students, who clearly enjoyed the work. I'll definitely listen to more of Tuur's work.

The Biber was also stylishly performed, not particularly my sort of thing, but good fun. Gareth Moorcraft is a compostion student, and this was an enjoyable piece, but I'd have to give it another listen or two to make further comment.

The DSCH work was the big draw of course, and it had plenty of the impact that one expects from such a great work. The chamber orchestra version loses more than it gains compared to the SQ,I would say, but it does justice to this great piece, and was a pleasure to hear in these more than capable hands. All superbly led by the excellent Clio Gould, who showed what a good player she is.

A superb way to spend a lunchtime.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I've spent the weekend going to two recitals by Angela Hewitt in the marvellous acoustic and intimate surroundings of the Oak Hall at Rhosygilwen close to the Pembrokeshire/Ceredigion border.

On Saturday night the first half was Schubert (3 of the Moments Musicaux), Beethoven op.31 no.2 (Tempest) and Haydn Fantasia in C. Part 2 was all-Spanish - Scarlatti (honorary Spanish) 4 sonatas that are going to be on her next Scarlatti disc, 3 of Albeniz Suite Española No.1 (2 of them well known to us guitarists ) Sevilla, Asturias and Castilla, and Falla's Fantasia Baetica. Excellent programming, the infectious and percussive Spanish folk rhythms running seamlessly through from the Scarlatti to the Falla. And for her encore, to my great delight, Scarlatti K380. Last night was just 80 minutes - the Goldberg. Magical, I was seated about 12 feet from Ms Hewitt's left elbow for the Goldberg. Incidentally she mentioned she learnt it when she was 16. I talked to her on the Saturday as she signed CDs. She said she's played in Bristol the night before. I think she's playing the Schubert and Haydn in her next Wigmore in April. She was playing on the house Steinway. A great artist and lovely person.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-03-16, 10:34.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

A superb way to spend a lunchtime.
                                I like seeking out lunchtime concerts and and made a rewarding expedition to St George's Bristol last week. Krysia Osostowicz violin and Daniel Tong piano are doing a "Beethoven Plus" series including all the Beethoven violin sonatas, each accompanied by a newly commissioned five minute work inspired by the sonata in question.

Comment

Working...
                                X