• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Lighthouse Poole, January 28.

Kirill Karabits conduct the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra in Berlioz's Le Corsaire Overture, Chopin's Piano Concerto No 2 featuring the pianist Yulianna Avdeeva, and Schumann's Symphony No 2.

Sharp eyed forumites will have spotted this in the Radio times, and no doubt thought it looked a tempting programme for a snowy January night. Weather was kind down here, so I went along, blissfully ignorant of the R3 scheduling...but I would have gone anyway....a live Schumann 2 is a big pull, wintry conditions or no.

THe Overture has been mentioned by the wise Edashtav, and lots of spirited fun it was. Just the sort of thing that can pass one by as disc filler, but live makes you wonder why, for instance, it doesn't get a more regular airing in places like " Breakfast".

On to the main course, and you can hardly go wrong trying to fill a concert hall with one of the Chopin Concertos. Avdeeva is physically a slight very figure indeed. Nothing really to dwell on here for too long. Sadly, from where I was, there was a very definite muddy quality to the piano sound, and some very indistinct passages. I think on reflection , this may have been something to do with the enigmatic acoustic at the hall, although at the time I put it down to over enthusiastic pedal work.Nontheless, it was fine, some lovely passages, but certainly not a performance to transform ones view of the work . For me, the final movement came off best, but occasionally I felt a little more power wouldn't have hurt.
    A good reception from the reasonably well filled hall, a quick Waltz encore, and off she went,before reappearing,looking a little bashful, in the auditorium for the symphony.

And the symphony. Not much glory for the conductor, perhaps , in a top notch Chopin 2, but what about a classic Schumann 2? Now that is a prize worth fighting for.

From well before the first note, it was clear that KK was really going for it. From the carefully prepared direction into the first notes, KK micromanaged this like a man on a very serious mission. Every small crescendo and diminuendo, every phrase end, almost note by note he guided them....pity the front bench second violins who had nowhere to hide! Did the microphones pick up all those sharp intakes of breath, grunts, a jump? that was all KK, giving it everything,and they might have been off putting if you didn't know that this came from his extreme involvement.
    And it isn't as if the work doesn't demand enough from the orchestra. The violins, their sound beautiful, rich and impeccable, have plenty to do, and KK worked them hard in that second movement, and got what he wanted.

A huge (quietly observed)dramatic pause before the start of the slow movement. Recovery, or building the tension? I guess it doesn't matter, the wait worked, and the music deserves it. The movement was played for beauty and elegance, rather than the kind of rough edged Pre Mahlerian angst ( can I say that?) that it can be given. Personally, I love edge in this, but Karabits took us to a place of pure and beautiful sound, the woodwind solos were perfection , and it was utterly compelling, More than one way to skin a rabbit, I suppose.

There is huge energy required for the finale after all that emotion, and just occasionally i found myself wondering if conductor and orchestra didn't have enough in reserve. Whatever, they kept enough for the barnstorming conclusion, a true 10 second goose bump job, a really thrilling end to a special performance.
    Karabits took this really seriously, and though there may be even better to come, the orchestra gave him everything, and this time the acoustic seemed to work well.
    IMO, this deserved a far better ovation than it got, which was no better than average applause.

The whole thing is repeated on Friday night in Portsmouth, and well worth a trip for those within hitting distance.
    What was it like on the radio?
    Great review, teamsaint. Many thanks.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Great review, teamsaint. Many thanks.
      Ditto,quality stuff ts.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Orchestra of Opera North at Huddersfield Town Hall, last Friday.

Not too many forumites seem aware of this excellent orchestra's non-pit appearances. I've been attending concerts at this venue for the last eighteen months and they are invariably excellent, with some very interesting programming for a place often stereotyped as a cultural wasteland.

Last Friday, it was Mozart's Prague Symphony, followed by a stunning performance of Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto (pianist Alexandr Marcovich received a well-deserved standing ovation), finishing with Schumann's 3rd ('Rhenish') Symphony

Does anyone else on here go to these concerts?

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Ditto,quality stuff ts.
          Here, Here! Your review of the Schumann will encourage me to play it via the iPlayer.

For3 needs more reviews like this one by ts to recover its fighting spirit and true purpose.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Chicago SO: Brahms PC2 and Tchaikovsky Symphony #1 Yfim Bronfman, p; Ricardo Muti, conduting the CSO

A belated review, I attended this concert two weeks ago.
            The great horn solo that opens the Brahms was wonderful, soaring over the Orchestra. When the 3rd horn repeats the them in adifferent register about 9 minutes in it was very poignant. Bronfman started very deliberately but he and Muti quickly upped the ante and the first movememt gathered momentum and tension and then released it when Brahms would wax lyrically.
            The scherzo was appropriately fiery and then the great Cello Solo in III was melting without being unduly schmaltzy, the chamber like rapport with the Soloist having everyone holding their breath on a cold Chicago night. IV was appropriately playful and the audience was every appreciative.

Winter Dreams has become my favorite Tchaikovsky Symphony, along with Manfred, in recent years. In my teenage years I over dosed on his last 3 Symphonies and they are unfortunately they remain overly familiar, but I didn't much listen to the rest of the Symphonies until much later. I had listened to Muti's 30 year old recording with the Philharmonia prior to the Concert. His approach seems to have mellowed in the interim, much more reflective and caressing and less urgent. The great melodies in the middle movements still soared, the waltz in the trio of III being my favorite. The problematic IV didn't quite rouse as in his earlier recording, as I don't think this music benefits from reflection as much as from sprinting to the finish. Nevertheless, very enjoyable, although a bit of a letdown after the great Brahms.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Great concert, richard!

My last concert went in the other direction, the second half was the best part, and its last few moments beyond words - the choral singing of that sublime final "Il est bon, l'enfant, il est sage" section of Ravel's "L'enfant et les Sortilèges" was completely perfect, rounding off an exhilarating semi-staged performance. Great singing, stunning playing throughout from the Philharmonia, and deft costumes/production using video projection and a modicum of dry ice... Unforgettable.

The orchestra posted this photo from the rehearsal, which gives a flavour:

Before the interval, Barbara Hannigan (stunning as the Princesse in "L'enfant") sang Dutilleux's Correspondances, a discovery for me (the last song especially haunting), and then Mitsuko Uchida joined the orchestra for...

... Ravel's G major concerto. Errrm. Well judging it on the highest of levels, in line with one's expectations, it was a disappointment, overall. Of course, there were many felicities - her quiet way with the opening of the slow movement was lovely, the 'musical saw' trills of the first movement were wonderful, the oboe and cor anglais solos were great... but... but... They didn't sound entirely 'in' the piece, the outer movements didn't fit together with the jewelled precision one hope for. The first movement featured some fluffed ends of runs, and a botch-job by the bassoon at one point. It felt as if everyone needed to have rehearsed and played it together more, rather than meeting that morning (which was how it sounded). It all conspired to leave me cold.

But then after the interval: WOW!

RFH, 12 February 2015

Dutilleux: Correspondances
              Ravel: Piano Concerto in G

Ravel: L'Enfant et les Sortilèges
              (semi-staged; sung in French with English surtitles)

Philharmonia Orchestra
              Esa-Pekka Salonen conductor

Barbara Hannigan soprano Correspondances / La Princesse
              Mitsuko Uchida piano
              Chloé Briot soprano L'Enfant
              Elodie Méchain alto La Mère/ La Tasse chinoise / La Libellule
              Andrea Hill mezzo soprano La Bergère /Un Pâtre / l'Ecureuil/ La Chatte
              Omo Bello soprano La Pastourelle / La Chauve-Souris / La Chouette
              Sabine Devieilhe soprano Le Feu / Le Rossignol
              Jean-Sébastien Bou baritone L'Horloge / Le Chat
              François Piolino tenor La Théière / Le Petit Vieillard (aka l'Arithmétique) / La Rainette
              Nicolas Courjal bass Le Fauteuil / L'Arbre
              Philharmonia Voices Shepherds, Shepherdesses, Frogs, Animals, Trees, Settle (Le Blanc), Sofa (Le Canapé), Ottoman (Le Pouf), Wicker chair, Numbers (Les Chiffres)
              Irina Brown director
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Great concert, richard!

My last concert went in the other direction, the second half was the best part, and its last few moments beyond words - the choral singing of that sublime final "Il est bon, l'enfant, il est sage" section of Ravel's "L'enfant et les Sortilèges" was completely perfect, rounding off an exhilarating semi-staged performance. Great singing, stunning playing throughout from the Philharmonia, and deft costumes/production using video projection and a modicum of dry ice... Unforgettable.

The orchestra posted this photo from the rehearsal, which gives a flavour:

Before the interval, Barbara Hannigan (stunning as the Princesse in "L'enfant") sang Dutilleux's Correspondances, a discovery for me (the last song especially haunting), and then Mitsuko Uchida joined the orchestra for...

... Ravel's G major concerto. Errrm. Well judging it on the highest of levels, in line with one's expectations, it was a disappointment, overall. Of course, there were many felicities - her quiet way with the opening of the slow movement was lovely, the 'musical saw' trills of the first movement were wonderful, the oboe and cor anglais solos were great... but... but... They didn't sound entirely 'in' the piece, the outer movements didn't fit together with the jewelled precision one hope for. The first movement featured some fluffed ends of runs, and a botch-job by the bassoon at one point. It felt as if everyone needed to have rehearsed and played it together more, rather than meeting that morning (which was how it sounded). It all conspired to leave me cold.

But then after the interval: WOW!

RFH, 12 February 2015

Dutilleux: Correspondances
                Ravel: Piano Concerto in G

Ravel: L'Enfant et les Sortilèges
                (semi-staged; sung in French with English surtitles)

Philharmonia Orchestra
                Esa-Pekka Salonen conductor

Barbara Hannigan soprano Correspondances / La Princesse
                Mitsuko Uchida piano
                Chloé Briot soprano L'Enfant
                Elodie Méchain alto La Mère/ La Tasse chinoise / La Libellule
                Andrea Hill mezzo soprano La Bergère /Un Pâtre / l'Ecureuil/ La Chatte
                Omo Bello soprano La Pastourelle / La Chauve-Souris / La Chouette
                Sabine Devieilhe soprano Le Feu / Le Rossignol
                Jean-Sébastien Bou baritone L'Horloge / Le Chat
                François Piolino tenor La Théière / Le Petit Vieillard (aka l'Arithmétique) / La Rainette
                Nicolas Courjal bass Le Fauteuil / L'Arbre
                Philharmonia Voices Shepherds, Shepherdesses, Frogs, Animals, Trees, Settle (Le Blanc), Sofa (Le Canapé), Ottoman (Le Pouf), Wicker chair, Numbers (Les Chiffres)
                Irina Brown director
                This was indeed a wonderful evening, my first outing to the Royal Festival Hall since recent surgery. I agree about Uchida in the concerto, although there were some lovely moments. Something seemed to go slightly amiss at the beginning, and I thought that the finale was just that tiny bit too fast, but the slow movement went beautifully.

As for L'Enfant, it was truly magical from beginning to end. I don't think that I have heard it better sung, and the semi-staging was full of imagination. This was one of the most memorable evenings on the South Bank that I've experienced for some time.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Well chosen return to the concert hall, Ferret, congrats! Wish I'd known you were going to be there!

Comment

• Simon B
                    • Dec 2010

Similar feelings to both Caliban and Ferret re the Philharmonia L'Enfant concert.

Unfortunately I missed the Dutilleux (having abandoned road transport at Gunnersbury due to catastrophic congestion on the M4/A4 on the way in to the urban jungle at 6pm and then getting interminably delayed on a District/Piccadilly/Jubilee odyssey of broken trains, people on the line etc etc etc...).

I arrived in time, but not in a good mood, for the piano concerto and attributed a lack of engagement with that to circumstances. Plus, I was sat in what seems a curious "hole" in the RFH acoustic in the centre-front stalls which seems to apply when there's a piano - despite it being the very place you'd expect the piano to come directly across. However, my reaction at the time is echoed above. It just sounded a bit underrehearsed - put together on a wing and a prayer as standard rep. Realistically, that may be roughly the case given the rest of the programme.

L'Enfant was exquisite. Salonen/Philharmonia have done several of these semi-stagings; imv this was as successful in its very different way as the riveting Bluebeard's Castle of a few years ago. The Philharmonia's playing had moments of the same breathtaking poise and refinement as evident (bar an unfortunate accident right at the end) a few weeks ago for John Wilson conducting RVW5, of which I quite wrongly wasn't expecting all that much.

For all that, it wasn't as good as DSCH 4 with LPO/Petrenko last night though. 5* standing ovation stuff. Jurowski's Haitink-esque restraint and clarity is all very well but it made a thrilling change to hear the LPO let off the leash, absolutely committed, utterly characterful and the brass and percussion allowed to give it the beans for once.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
                      For all that, it wasn't as good as DSCH 4 with LPO/Petrenko last night though. 5* standing ovation stuff. Jurowski's Haitink-esque restraint and clarity is all very well but it made a thrilling change to hear the LPO let off the leash, absolutely committed, utterly characterful and the brass and percussion allowed to give it the beans for once.

Damn! Couldn't go to that one ... but have today heard a similar glowing reaction from someone else who was there! Lucky you!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

I must post something about the concert I went to on Friday at the RAM (RAM Orchesta/Mark Elder) which included six of the Shropshire Lad songs in their orchestral dress as tailored by me [note for concert planners: there are eleven].

The songs were beautifully sung by an opera student, Henry Neill, whose voice carried well, even in the loud bits. Duke's Hall is quite small, so Sir Mark had no need to 'boost' the sound by tinkering with the orchestration - as Andrew Manze did just a tad at the RAH - so the effect of a string quartet, con sordini, sul ponticello, senza vibrazione, came over very well in "Is my team ploughing?". I met Sir Mark, who seemed to love the songs anyway and was very pleased with the orchestrations - perhaps this bodes well. GSKB said that the orchestral Rhapsody: A Shropshire Lad "represents a sort of epilogue to my two sets of Shropshire Lad songs" and Elder had noted this already, so maybe it wil be realised.

The surprise for me, though, was DCSH's 6th Symphony. I have listened to it before - truly yonks ago - but had never heard it live. It was quite an experience. A very unusual structure (slow movement, half the symphony's length, followed by two scherzos, the first menacing, the second Rossinian) was gripping throughout. Even Mrs Pabs (not primarily a classical lover) was transfixed. I think it was a fine achievement for students to maintain the necessary level of concentration in the first movement and make such a noise in the last.
                        Last edited by Pabmusic; 15-02-15, 10:11. Reason: Ignorance

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                          I must post something about the concert I went to on Friday at the RAM (RAM Orchesta/Mark Elder) which included six of the Shropshire Lad songs in their orchestral dress as tailored by me [note for concert planners: there are eleven].

The songs were beautifully sung by an opera student, Henry Neill, whose voice carried well, even in the loud bits. Duke's Hall is quite small, so Sir Mark had no need to 'boost' the sound by tinkering with the orchestration - as Andrew Manze did just a tad at the RAH - so the effect of a string quartet, con sordini, sul ponticello, senza vibrazione, came over very well in "Is my team ploughing?". I met Sir Mark, who seemed to love the songs anyway and was very pleased with the orchestrations - perhaps this bodes well. GSKB said that the orchestral Rhapsody: A Shropshire Lad "represents a sort of epilogue to my two sets of Shropshire Lad songs" and Elder had noted this already, so maybe it wil be realised.

The surprise for me, though, was DCSH's 6th Symphony. I have listened to it before - truly yonks ago - but had never heard it live. It was quite an experience. A very unusual structure (slow movement, half the symphony's length, followed by two scherzos, the first menacing, the second Rossinian) was gripping throughout. Even Mrs Pabs (not primarily a classical lover) was transfixed. I think it was a fine achievement for students to maintain the necessary level of concentration in the first movement and make such a noise in the last.
                          I must confess that I sometimes listen to just the first movement of Shostakovich 6th. It isn't that there's anything wrong with the other two, it's just that that wonderful brooding opening seems able to stand alone. the slower the better! ( well, almost! )

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I have posted a few thoughts about the Mahler /Lachenmann RFH concert on its own thread.

just as a PS, it struck me even more forcefully than usual last night, witnessing such an extraordinary collaborative effort, how wonderful it is to see so many people coming together , to be small parts of a great whole, to do some of the best of which we are capable . very uplifting, yet bittersweet in troubled times.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              I must confess that I sometimes listen to just the first movement of Shostakovich 6th. It isn't that there's anything wrong with the other two, it's just that that wonderful brooding opening seems able to stand alone. the slower the better! ( well, almost! )
                              I agree. Then again, I sometimes just listen to movements 2 & 3 on their own!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Yet more great reviews,quality stuff,thanks folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X