Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Great review, ts. I just love the Sinfonietta a visual as well as aural spectacle. The VPO/Mackerras recording is superb but my favourite live performance was Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic at the Barbican a few years ago.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

You've made me regret not going, ts, by your enthusiastic and detailed review. But... Thursday night is practice night for me and there was Bach, Vittoria and Morley to conduct.

I remain to be convinced that the Suk isn't 5 minutes too long - but I've never heard it live and that's the real test.

Your last point was well made

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Philharmonia Orchestra/ Hrusa at the RFH Thursday night.
        And I should have said in post #793, well done on doing your bit to keep music live - I need to get my finger out!

Regularly (!) travelling up to London from Southampton, you're gig-going instincts haven't dimmed over the years

Comment

• amateur51

i attended an LPO orch4stral concert at London's Royal Festival Hall on Wednesday 09 April. The orchestra was conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste and Renaud Capuçon was the soloist in Schumann violin concerto. This was the first time i'd heard the piece 'live' and I was very struck by the difficult balancing act going on between the soloist with his huge amount of passage work and the conductor for whom it would have been quite easy to drown out the violin. Saraste kept the volume in check throughout quite deliberately which enabled Capuçon to give a lyrical performance of this Cinderella work.

After the interval we had Bruckner symphony no 8 in the Novak edition. I recall a few years back Saraste taking the BBCSO (I think) through Bruckner symphony no 5 at The Proms and it was a great triumph so I had high hopes for this performance, and they were justified. I can honestly say that the LPO gave the most cogent performance i have ever heard. Saraste set off at quite a lick which sounded rather hasty to ears more used to performances of the 'let it grow' school but by keeping a firm hand on the tiller Saraste let the music flow by very effectively. The Scherzo went at a fair lick too and the slow movement was wonderfully concentrated with some excellent work from all departments. The brass section shone in the finale where Saraste gave them their head and the release of tension was magnificent. This movement can drag in performance in my experience as it seems to reach its peroration several times only for another by-way to be taken up but as I 've said this cogent performance cut this effect down to a minimum.

Sadly there were no microphones present so it wasn't being recorded for release on CD but this concert strenghthened for me LPO's reputation in Bruckner buildinmg on Jurowski's recent highly successful performance of No 2 with them, and certainly I'll attend any Bruckner symphony that Maestro Saraste cares to programme in London on this evidence

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Lucky old you ams. I really wanted to go to that, but circumstances conspired

Thanks for the review.

Some corkers on this thread!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Matthew Herbert: The Crackle at the Linbury Studio ROH
              Some interesting things here, though might have worked better in a different format rather than a staged piece.
              Loved the phone app that spread sound around the hall and actually worked WITH the narrative rather than being a clever gimmick
              but not an entirely successful piece IMV

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Matthew Herbert: The Crackle at the Linbury Studio ROH
                Some interesting things here, though might have worked better in a different format rather than a staged piece.
                Loved the phone app that spread sound around the hall and actually worked WITH the narrative rather than being a clever gimmick
                but not an entirely successful piece IMV
                Give us a link, my google search isn't working

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Just caught up wth this thread.

Thank you ts and ams for those wonderful reviews.

This forum is brilliant innit !

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Give us a link, my google search isn't working

Other search engines are available

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Cheers matey

I will search for the other engines when my google is up and running

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Llyr Williams (Piano)

Mozart: Adagio in B minor K540
                        Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.90
                        Schubert: Wanderer Fantasie
                        Schumann: Fantasiestücke, Op12
                        Chopin: Polonaise-Fantasie Op 61

plus a couple of short encores by Szymanowski and by Bartok

One of Perth Concert Hall's "Perth Piano Sundays", happily while I was still in Scotland. LW eschewed idiosyncracy on this occasion. All played from memory and with hardly a single wrong note. As I've said elsewhere, he convinced me with his more lyrical/thoughtful and less obviously showy approach on this occasion that the Wanderer Fantasy is more than the sum of its parts. He is a remarkable pianist, whom I suspect is under-appreciated because he chooses to plough his own furrow rather than, to mix my metaphors, playing to the gallery. A very fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Perth Concert Hall's acoustic is ideal for piano recitals (and for chamber music concerts). It's just a little small for big orchestral works (despite which I'm going to see Vasily Petrenko and the RLPO next month in, inter alia, Prokofiev's 6th Symphony). The next Piano Sunday for me is a two-piano fest with Simon Crawford-Phillips and Philip Moore negotiating their way through Debussy (Prélude à l'après-midi etc), Rachmaninov (Symphonic Dances) and Stravinsky (Rite of Spring).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Llyr Williams (Piano)

Mozart: Adagio in B minor K540
                          Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.90
                          Schubert: Wanderer Fantasie
                          Schumann: Fantasiestücke, Op12
                          Chopin: Polonaise-Fantasie Op 61

plus a couple of short encores by Szymanowski and by Bartok

One of Perth Concert Hall's "Perth Piano Sundays", happily while I was still in Scotland. LW eschewed idiosyncracy on this occasion. All played from memory and with hardly a single wrong note. As I've said elsewhere, he convinced me with his more lyrical/thoughtful and less obviously showy approach on this occasion that the Wanderer Fantasy is more than the sum of its parts. He is a remarkable pianist, whom I suspect is under-appreciated because he chooses to plough his own furrow rather than, to mix my metaphors, playing to the gallery. A very fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Perth Concert Hall's acoustic is ideal for piano recitals (and for chamber music concerts). It's just a little small for big orchestral works (despite which I'm going to see Vasily Petrenko and the RLPO next month in, inter alia, Prokofiev's 6th Symphony). The next Piano Sunday for me is a two-piano fest with Simon Crawford-Phillips and Philip Moore negotiating their way through Debussy (Prélude à l'après-midi etc), Rachmaninov (Symphonic Dances) and Stravinsky (Rite of Spring).
                          That was quite a programme that Llŷr Wlliams chose to play, HD. His UK recitals seem to be based mostly in Scotland and Wales at the moment.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Last night the Chicago SO was led by Esa Pekka Salonen in Dvorak Violin Concerto, Janacek Overture to From The House Of The Dead and Sinfonietta, and an original piece by Salonen. The soloist Christian Tetzlaff also encored the Dvorak with a Gavotte from one of the Bach Sonatas for Solo Violin.
                            It was a fantastic concert, with the ending of the Sinfonietta sending everyone out in a buoyant mood.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              Last night the Chicago SO was led by Esa Pekka Salonen in Dvorak Violin Concerto, Janacek Overture to From The House Of The Dead and Sinfonietta, and an original piece by Salonen. The soloist Christian Tetzlaff also encored the Dvorak with a Gavotte from one of the Bach Sonatas for Solo Violin.
                              It was a fantastic concert, with the ending of the Sinfonietta sending everyone out in a buoyant mood.
                              Thanks for this review. An interesting programme - did you notice if it was a full-house, rfg?

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                Sounds good.was the Salonen well received? I like what I have heard of his music.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X