Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt

Lonnie Holley, Café Oto, 5/12/2013
    Directed by Robert BeattyFrom Lonnie Holley's album: "Keeping a Record of It"Order: https://itun.es/i6xR7WCAvailable September 3, 2013 via Dust-to-Digitalhtt...

Comment

• Black Swan

Oops, thanks FF. I have corrected my mistake, yes Philharmonic. I agree with your comment. I must say that Estancia was done very well. Mena is excellent with such a work. I just felt the Turina and Gruber were a big disappointment. There are many percussion concerto's in the repertoire and it would have been great to have heard the fantastic Collin Currie performing one of those.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKGmCMBP9E
        Great stuff

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKGmCMBP9E
          a fine recommendation indeed. Perfect late night listening. Was the gig good ?!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Heard just the one song on Bro' Doug Schulkind's constantly marvellous 'Give The Drummer Some ( all archived ) and decided
            there and then to make the 350 mile round trip. Worth every single one of those miles and more, plus ( a bonus for me ) the amazing, improvising Lonnie was aided and abetted by a quite tremendous audience. Has the man been played on R3 ? Well not as far as I'm aware which seems utterly ridiculous.

Hoping for a repeat treat in January when Richard Youngs pops in to the Café. He has, mind you, had a bit of a spin on late-nite-bbc3-radio.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Interesting view on Haas
              What to make of what Sir Simon Rattle, in an unfailingly reprinted introduction to Georg Friedrich Haas’s in vain, calls the ‘first masterpiece of the 21st century’? I’m not…

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Heard just the one song on Bro' Doug Schulkind's constantly marvellous 'Give The Drummer Some ( all archived ) and decided
                there and then to make the 350 mile round trip. Worth every single one of those miles and more, plus ( a bonus for me ) the amazing, improvising Lonnie was aided and abetted by a quite tremendous audience. Has the man been played on R3 ? Well not as far as I'm aware which seems utterly ridiculous.

Hoping for a repeat treat in January when Richard Youngs pops in to the Café. He has, mind you, had a bit of a spin on late-nite-bbc3-radio.

https://twitter.com/globaljukeboxer/...178048/photo/1
                Hmmm. Although he does mention the music, he's really doing an 'NME-type' take on the popularity and (to be fair to him) bigging-up that went on. I suppose there's one in every crowd.

I never knew the piece until you sent it my way a few evenings ago, and I was genuinely surprised that it had sold out. So I came to it fresh, sans le hype; and would say he's wrong (bearing in mind I can't tell a diminishing seventh from a used teabag).

Rattle's instincts on modern music are better than most music directors.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Slip of the cut and paste, Beef ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Slip of the cut and paste, Beef ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Interesting piece.
                      Our man on the spot wasn't underwhelmed.
                      I guess one's personal context matters in these things.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• kuligin
                        • Nov 2010

Last Monday at the RNCM

Mark Padmore and friends

Tippett Boyhoods End

Britten Songs and Proverbs of William Blake

Britten The 5 Canticles

I arrived as a sceptic but for the first time started to really find something in Britten . I have always preferred the songs to the Operas particularly Winter Words and the Serenade but here for the first time I came away an enthusiast at least in part leaving with my head full of passage of real beauty. Padmore as anticipated, and a new singer to me Marcus Farnworth, were excellent

I half knew Abraham and Isaac, but had not appreciated how moving it can be when so well sung. St Narcissus was new to me, a wonderful harp part, and much tighter in structure than the other I felt. I found good things in the others too apart from Stilll falls the rain which seemed repeat itself a good deal

So all in all an eyeopener, as performances earlier in the year of The Prince of the Padogas and the 2nd Quartet had only confirmed my view BB was somewhat overated. I am still not a fan of too much of anything the Opera North season of 3 Britten operas quick on the tail of Albert Herring did the composer no service in my view

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Berlin Philharmonic conducted by the 'Dud' in Schubert 4 and Beethoven 4 with the Stravinsky 2 suites for small orchestra at the Philharmonie.

Pretty good!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            Berlin Philharmonic conducted by the 'Dud' in Schubert 4 and Beethoven 4 with the Stravinsky 2 suites for small orchestra at the Philharmonie.

Pretty good!
                            Any evidence of HIPP in the symphonies, pastoral?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

This might be interesting to some of you who went to / missed the Haas gigs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

H&N January 18th : the London gig will be broadcast (so you need to get someone to do the lights for you )

and another view
                              I had the good fortune to hear Gorecki's 3rd Symphony live in concert a few months before the famous recording of it was released and quickly became ubiquitous. This made it a musical work I could hear as itself, not as a media phenomenon, but more important was the fact that I, and my friends and f
                              Last edited by MrGongGong; 14-12-13, 16:22.

Comment

• Simon B
                                • Dec 2010

Thu 12/12 on my first visit to the BBCSSO's home at Glasgow City Halls.

BBCSSO/Runnicles/Ehnes, Beethoven 4, Shostakovich Vln.C 1, Adams City Noir.

The Adams was nominally the draw for me but the Shostakovich put everything else in the shade in the event.

Interval conversation suggested that the technique for getting a standing ovation in Glasgow is similar to the fabled method for Birmingham (i.e. involving the fire alarm) but James Ehnes achieved it with a combination of apparently flawless technique and an unshowy but intensely involving performance of the Shostakovich. Had I not actually been present at one previously (Lisa Batiashvili with Philharmonia/Salonen at the Proms a few years ago) I'd scarcely believe a better performance possible.

The acoustic of the beautifully modernised and refurbished grand hall of City Halls was ideal in the Shostakovich but a bit much in the heavily orchestrated and noisy Adams. It wasn't really possible to pick apart the layers or separate the components of the deluge of percussion. Nevertheless it was a bit of a romp and worked up an entertaining head of steam at the end.

Can't remember anything much about the Beethoven - the Shostakovich was definitely the dark heart (insert other cliches of choice here) of the concert.

As it was introduced from the stage, presumably it was live on R3 though there doesn't seem to be any comment elsewhere. The Shostakovich might be worth a listen-again IMO...

Comment

Working...
                                X