• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Georg Friedrich Haas - In Vain (2000) London Premier

London Sinfonietta, Conducted by Emilio Pomarico. Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre, London. 8.00pm, 06/12/13

A recommendation from MrGongGong, and not just a plug for his mates in the London Sinfionetta (many thanks MrGG for the most excellent steer )

A 70 minute work (performed in 62 minutes this time) where 20 minutes of it are played in complete darkness. The QEH even had its exit signs and 'green men' signposts removed in order to effect total darkness. How the LS managed to play for 20 minutes in total darkness is amazing.

Haas was prompted to compose the piece by the rise of the far-right in Austria, but stresses that the work is not programmatic, as such.

The programme notes quite accurately describe the music as sounding in parts like Ligeti, the kind of scurrying figurations of the violin concerto "as though there are a hundred of Alice's rabbits in Wonderland, disappearing down holes. Some of it sounds maybe like a little bit of Ligeti's Atmospheres, with extraordinary intergalactic stillness. But most of it sounds simply like nothing else at all. If you imagined a kind of Rothko painting in music, you might get close, because the piece, like these paintings, seems to throb and glow. One of the things about the paintings is, the longer you look, the more dynamic they seem to be. This is very true of this piece also".

Following on from an opening flurry of sounds, 'like a snowstorm', the longer notes become audible as the 'snowstorm' dies down, and simultaneously the lights are dimmed down until suddenly the audience and players are plunged into total darkness. Here the music is primordial, "and this is where the music sounds as though it comes out of some kind of primeval swamp, as though it's struggling to be born".

The second, longer period of total darkness comes in the last third of the piece, and to quote the programme notes again, "what you realise is that you are hearing somehow areal, new harmony being born. The players play in complete darkness, they have little modules they have to memorise, but to memorise ten minutes of music is a really extraordinary achievement".

All in all, it was an exhilarating experience, and it was pleasing to see that it was all sold out, with a fair queue of people waiting for any returned tickets.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Georg Friedrich Haas - In Vain (2000) London Premier

London Sinfonietta, Conducted by Emilio Pomarico. Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre, London. 8.00pm, 06/12/13

A recommendation from MrGongGong, and not just a plug for his mates in the London Sinfionetta (many thanks MrGG for the most excellent steer )

A 70 minute work (performed in 62 minutes this time) where 20 minutes of it are played in complete darkness. The QEH even had its exit signs and 'green men' signposts removed in order to effect total darkness. How the LS managed to play for 20 minutes in total darkness is amazing.

Haas was prompted to compose the piece by the rise of the far-right in Austria, but stresses that the work is not programmatic, as such.

The programme notes quite accurately describe the music as sounding in parts like Ligeti, the kind of scurrying figurations of the violin concerto "as though there are a hundred of Alice's rabbits in Wonderland, disappearing down holes. Some of it sounds maybe like a little bit of Ligeti's Atmospheres, with extraordinary intergalactic stillness. But most of it sounds simply like nothing else at all. If you imagined a kind of Rothko painting in music, you might get close, because the piece, like these paintings, seems to throb and glow. One of the things about the paintings is, the longer you look, the more dynamic they seem to be. This is very true of this piece also".

Following on from an opening flurry of sounds, 'like a snowstorm', the longer notes become audible as the 'snowstorm' dies down, and simultaneously the lights are dimmed down until suddenly the audience and players are plunged into total darkness. Here the music is primordial, "and this is where the music sounds as though it comes out of some kind of primeval swamp, as though it's struggling to be born".

The second, longer period of total darkness comes in the last third of the piece, and to quote the programme notes again, "what you realise is that you are hearing somehow areal, new harmony being born. The players play in complete darkness, they have little modules they have to memorise, but to memorise ten minutes of music is a really extraordinary achievement".

All in all, it was an exhilarating experience, and it was pleasing to see that it was all sold out, with a fair queue of people waiting for any returned tickets.
      Brilliant post, BeefO - I couldn't get to the Huddersfield performance: nor could the Beeb Any evidence of microphones to suggest a possible future broadcast?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Any evidence of microphones to suggest a possible future broadcast?
        Don't know, was pitch black, couldn't see

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

so it could have been lipsynched then, for all you know?!

Sounds absolutely brilliant, Beefy. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

I have recently been listening to a little Haas, and I imagine it would be wonderful presented as you report it was. And brilliant also that it was sold out.

Perhaps the LS will tour it in the provinces.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Brilliant post, BeefO - I couldn't get to the Huddersfield performance: nor could the Beeb Any evidence of microphones to suggest a possible future broadcast?
              The BBC were there at Huddersfield but not recording the gig

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Perhaps the LS will tour it in the provinces.
                If not, you'll just have to hop on the train and come up to London

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

You mean the big city where people don't have time to clear out their in boxes?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    You mean the big city where people don't have time to clear out their in boxes?
                    Cleared

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

I think you will find that for most folks
                      London is DOWN

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I went to support one of our (several) amateur orchestras at St George's last night. They're nothing if not stout-hearted - Manfred last time I went, Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony this time. But the most interesting item was 'Britten's Clarinet Concerto'. This has a fascinating history dating back to Britten's time in America during the war. The concerto has been "realised" by Colin Matthews, with three fragments/pieces dating from that time: the 1st movement was part of a concerto for Benny Goodman, the second (which I though particularly successful) was originally a piece mistakenly composed by Britten as a 'two-piano piece' as a result of a mistranscribed cable which wanted 'two piano pieces', and the third something else which was found in the same case as the first movement, confiscated by the American authorities who thought Britten's scores contained codes of some sort (Mary may have a more authentic version - I'm just going by the programme note!)

Anyway, as the conductor wittily put it, it was all notes written by Britten 'but not necessarily in the right order'. Not sure this is Britten's most successful genre, but Colin Matthews has done a good job of making it playable and it was warmly received last night.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          I think you will find that for most folks
                          London is DOWN
                          So if you're from one of the many Moslem countries, or Africa, Latin America or generally not a white man, you're not considered as being part of 'most folks'. Or maybe 'whitey's music' is too sophisticated for non-northern Europeans?

It's this English-centric attitude, this 'Little Englander' mind-set that really depresses me. Diversity? One-world? We have a long way to go.

Cliff Richards and Nelson Mandela will be turning in their graves.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

So if you're from one of the many Moslem countries, or Africa, Latin America or generally not a white man, you're not considered as being part of 'most folks'. Or maybe 'whitey's music' is too sophisticated for non-northern Europeans?

It's this English-centric attitude, this 'Little Englander' mind-set that really depresses me. Diversity? One-world? We have a long way to go.

Well quite.

Anyway Beefy, is Debussy still part of dangerously unbalanced lifestyle?
                            What about Messiaen?

Incidentally, can anybody remind me what is the long German word for the moment when we discover that our attitudes aren't quite as "Right on" as we thought?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

You make the mistake of assuming that the globe has an UP and DOWN ?

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear, he's in one of his moods.

MrGG's comment clearly implied that the traveller was within UK. Your inference is simply perverse - as they used to say in those wartime films about naval battles "make smoke".

Comment

Working...
                                X