X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Agreed, the coughing was extraordinary, but dissipated in the second half.

The whisperers weren't the only ones that didn't return for the violin concerto. I suppose a few people took a £4 punt, and felt they'd had enough!

My seat was in the first row, so I wandered off and took a £65 seat, there were plenty available. Teamsaint joined me in the second part, when he'd finished playing with some woman's hair in the back of the stalls.
    TBH honest it looked a treat by the time I had finished. Its a knack I have.

So that was YOU in the second half?! What a coincidence .
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      TBH honest it looked a treat by the time I had finished.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

We sat in Box 42, and were the only people in a box, while there were only half a dozen people in the balcony. That was an improvement on our recent Petrenko concert with the RLPO, where we were the only people in the whole of Level 6

From our exalted position, the coughing was absolutely dreadful, not in frequency, but in volume. No iPads nearby though, fortunately.

I had heard the Takemitsu before, but only on CD. I like his music, but it does seem a bit interchangeable, whereas Ligeti astonishes every time. A splendid concert, and don't the lights look pretty around the RFH ?

Comment

• amateur51

I am very sorry to hear that the coughing was such a problem but I'm afraid it's part of the human condition that some of us have to cough at full volume even when others around us are trying to pay attention to a musical performance.

For many years at RFH there was a printed notice in the programme telling readers that an uncovered cough attained a volume that compared to something rather drastic (yes I've forgotten). But still they coughed. And now the voice of Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf no less) invites us all to turn of off our phones, watches with an alarm etc. And at almost every concert there is always one person at least who doesn't.

I'm asthmatic and I live in fear of having an attack mid-concert. I have developed a method of coughing that causes, I hope & believe, minimal disruption to those around me. At the first sign of a breathing/coughing fit, I place my clean handkerchief in my mouth, try to relax, open my throat as wide as I can and cough almost silently into the hanky, promising myself that when the musical movement is over I will let rip & perhaps even use an inhaler.

But we live in a noisier and possibly more self-centred world these days and all the notices & announcements in the workld will not deter the smart-phone users and unfettered coughers. Ah me!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Great evening though, Ligeti should be compulsory in school.
            It is when i'm in charge

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I'm afraid it's part of the human condition that some of us have to cough at full volume even when others around us are trying to pay attention to a musical performance.:
              I'm not sure that it is. On this occasion, I'd say it was a sure sign of boredom from people who had cheap tickets and found the music to be a bit different than expected. It could also be the answer to why so many Proms now suffer from the same plague. While one accepts some degree of 'noises off' something like as reported last night would be a serious deterrence to paying exorbitant costs for rail fares and rip-off hotel bills for a ruined night in the concert hall.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

I would lay a bet that the recorded voice in the RFH is actually Tim Piggot-Smith. I recorded commentary very often with him, so I don't think I'm mistaken.
                He lives quite near me, and if I see him in my local corner shop I'll ask him.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  It is when i'm in charge
                  Oh , taken as read.

Double lessons I would think !!

My first live Ligeti. What an experience.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Anybody know when it will be broadcast? My gues is that it will get chopped up for Afternoon on 3, but I hope I'm wrong and that it does eventually turn up as a 'Live in Concert'.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 29-11-13, 18:13. Reason: Typo, as indicated by the blue pencil.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      'Love in Concert'.
                      Wish I'd gone now
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Ben Britten - Ceremony of Carols, local church hall. Arrived late, no harp (piano) back in time for Match Of The Day, 'nuff said

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Just back from a rather excellent evening at the Anvil in Basinstoke. OAE playing the Coriolan, Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Mozart Horn Concerto# 4 and LVB #8. Ticket was courtesy of the very generous pastoralguy, who was unable to use it, so many thanks PG.

First time seeing the OAE for me , and they made a good and spirited job of the overture. Hard to go wrong with it as an opener I suppose, but good stuff nontheless.

The Mendelssohn was played by Isabelle Faust. What to say? She simply swept all before her. She is a study in concentration, and attention to detail, but every so often, a little smile escapes, or there is a little glance at an orchestra member, and in those moments you seem to be able to read that she thinks its all going to plan.
                          The set up of the orchestra with Margaret Faultless directing gives the soloist a nice space to fill, and Faust does just that without a hint of excess showiness....she just fills that space with musicality, and care for what she is doing. It was a mesmerising performance, and in the finale as the slightly impish,.skittish feel gives way to the dramatic conclusion there surely can't have been an untingled spine in the house.Quite simply, this was wonderful, and brought the house down.

The Mozart was played by Roger Montgomery on (apologies if the terminology is wrong)a valveless Horn. How anybody can play like that on a valveless is way beyond my understanding. I have to say , achieving the control seems extraordinarily hard work, but I guess the authenticity is worth it. the orchestra certainly appreciated his efforts.

A good Eighth to conclude. Fascinating to see this being directed rather than conducted. You get the feeling that it allows a little more freedom for the players. Anyway, directed with enthusiasm and skillful timing by MF, and with plenty of good quality clout when needed.You get the odd rough edge I think with this band,due I'm sure to the kit used, and its more evident in the quiet passages, but a fine show, and a great deal to savour.

Edit: marks out of 10 for the audience:

Not coughing 9.5 /10. Blisfully free of flu. Parking 2/10. Shambles. Hondacondria.
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 04-12-13, 09:55.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks ts,a great review that.
                            Mendelssohn's violin concerto is perfect (as is most of his music to my ears).

Comment

• Russ_H
                              • Mar 2012

Last night at the Sage, Gateshead. The Carducci Quartet, stepping in at short notice for the Pavel Haas Quartet.

Haydn String Quartet in D, Op.33 No.6
                              Britten String Quartet No.2 in C, Op.36
                              Beethoven String Quartet in E minor, Op.59 No.2

I enjoyed both the Haydn and Beethoven, but the Britten failed to engage me.

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Elias String Quartet at St Georges Bristol last Friday with their on going Beethoven Cycle

Comment

Working...
                                X