Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Maarja Nuut is a young woman from Northern Estonia whose vocals and amplified violin (and similar folkish instruments) render an ethereal and understatedly urgent captivating quality to Estonian folk music.

A splendid evening in a small basement venue, packed with around 50 people.

Many thanks for the steer MrGongGong
    I was sceptical but listened with open ears & I agree with Beefo's illuminated comments

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I was sceptical but listened with open ears & I agree with Beefo's illuminated comments
      'ethereal and understatedly urgent', and before before lunch-time!

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

My wife still works (laudable) and I like to search out lunchtime concerts from time to time. Yesterday, I travelled to Oxford on bus pass (up-market Stagecoach with wifi) for lunchtime Lieder Festival concert. Enjoyable performances of Warlock, Poulenc and Schubert by Korean counter-tenor, Kangmin Justin Kim, including a hair-raising Doppelgänger. I took in the Henry Moore v Francis Bacon show at the Ashmolean. Bacon won.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Last night (22nd)

Goshawk Project

Maarja Nuut

Manero's Bar, Kingsland Road, Haggerston, Hackney, London.

The Goshawk Project is a musical venture between Carole Pegg vocalist/fiddle player, and Radik TĂĽlĂĽsh (Huun-Huur-Tu), Tyvan master musician, underdertone- and overtone-singing.

An unusual combining of English and Tyvan folk music.

Maarja Nuut is a young woman from Northern Estonia whose vocals and amplified violin (and similar folkish instruments) render an ethereal and understatedly urgent, captivating quality to Estonian folk music.

A splendid evening in a small basement venue, packed with around 50 people.

Many thanks for the steer MrGongGong

The Goshawk Project. 444 likes. English Trad meets Tuvan Roots

Sounds like an excellent roots night out Mr Oven.

here is some Goshawk Project from youtube.

Checkout the instruments

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHf37eRw0w
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Sounds like an excellent roots night out Mr Oven.

here is some Goshawk Project from youtube.

Checkout the instruments

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHf37eRw0w
            Great link teamsaints - cheers! (they played that number at the gig).

Earlier today:

Free Lunchtime Concert @ Royal Festival Hall -

Berio, Folk Songs
            Miles Davis, 1964 Concert
            Riley's In C

Ensembles from Trinity Laban Conservatoire Of Music and Dance

Free Evening Concert @ Royal Festival Hall - Ornette Coleman Free Jazz Revisited Musicians ibid, directed by Chris Batchelor.

Not free (in fact quite expensive at ÂŁ45 plus ÂŁ1.75 booking fee) concert @ Royal Festival Hall

Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra, Marin Alsop & Swingle singers:

Guarnieri
            - Symphony #4

Bernstein - Symphonic Dances From West Side Story

Berio - Sinfonia

Stonking concert, Marin Alsop is my new hero (heroine?)

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

I really fancied the RFH Sao Paolo concert, but circumstances were against it.

Was the Guarnieri good?

Decent turn out from the public? Tickets were a little on the steep side. When I had a look, the balcony appeared either to be sold out, or not open.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

I really fancied the RFH Sao Paolo concert, but circumstances were against it.

Was the Guarnieri good?

Decent turn out from the public? Tickets were a little on the steep side. When I had a look, the balcony appeared either to be sold out, or not open.
                The Guarnieri was really good. Marin Alsop introduced all works with a summary outline (including musical examples from the Sinfonia by the orchestra) and said that we'd detect a whiff of Copland, Harris, Bernstein and a few other American stalwarts (I detected Piston!).

It's a three movement piece with an intense lento framed by two energetic (and marked as such) outer movements full of forward momentum (my words, so don't ask what I mean!). I shall be seeking it out on CD at some point as it's a work I'd like to return to.

The balcony was not used, that's why it appeared unavailable on the theatre map. The stalls were 99.9% filled, but the lack of the need for the balcony shows you how conservative most people's taste is. We can't get them to move beyond their Elgar, Brahms, Mahler, Barbirollischetypenmusikefahrten etc(my German's crap!).

As you say, prices were steep, though not the steepest and if you booked your ticket over the 'phone, there was a healthy booking fee of ÂŁ2.75!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I like the little Guarnieri I have heard, (mostly a couple of PCs) time to look out the sympnonies, , although I am trying not to take on too much new music at one time at the moment.
                  A shame that they couldn't have flogged the balcony seats at ÂŁ5 a time to students or something.
                  Interesting that you say about conservative taste in audiences. The Brahms at the RFH a couple of weeks ago wasn't that well attended, although I suppose performances come up regular as clockwork.

Glad you had a great time. I don't suppose R3 recorded it?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

I don't suppose R3 recorded it?
                    I wouldn't know, I listen to Classic FM these days

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I wouldn't know, I listen to Classic FM these days
                      do you happen to know Ben Elton, or his work?

Edit: What if R3 DID record it? what would that leave you credibility wise?!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Edit: What if R3 DID record it? what would that leave you credibility wise?!
                        Well, I'd be embarrassed, because there's a particular ppppppppianissimo passage in the lento of the Guarnieri symphony where you could hear a cockroach fart, and I got a text message!!!

Not really, I switched my 'phone off

I always panic at gigs, wondering if there's an alarm set on my 'phone that will go off during the performance. It happened to me at a confrerence a while back, but luckily never at a concert.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Well, I'd be embarrassed, because there's a particular ppppppppianissimo passage in the lento of the Guarnieri symphony where you could hear a cockroach fart, and I got a text message!!!

Not really, I switched my 'phone off

I always panic at gigs, wondering if there's an alarm set on my 'phone that will go off during the performance. It happened to me at a confrerence a while back, but luckily never at a concert.
                          I take the battery out, because mine tuns on if you even look at it.

Alternatively, if it goes off particularly loudly, I just stand up, say (audibly) " Try to keep the patient alive till I get there", and leave with head held high......

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I take the battery out, because mine tuns on if you even look at it.

Alternatively, if it goes off particularly loudly, I just stand up, say (audibly) " Try to keep the patient alive till I get there", and leave with head held high......
                            Lol! love the doctor ruse!!!

You can't take the battery out of iPhones

Comment

• Richard Barrett

I just stand up, say (audibly) " Try to keep the patient alive till I get there"

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Lol! love the doctor ruse!!!

You can't take the battery out of iPhones

oh dear.
                                I used to have a mobile (motorola I think) in which you could , in an emergency replace the battery with 2 X AA's !!!

They don't make em like that any more !!

Comment

Working...
                                X