Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Just before traveling for the holidays, almost literally along the way, I managed to catch the Chicago Symphony at Orchestra Hall in this program:

Shostakovich: Festive Overture
    Christopher Rouse: Heimdall's Trumpet (world premiere performances)
    Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony (**)

(** More or less; explanation follows)

Given how often Jaap van Zweden has been guest-conducting the CSO for the past few seasons, I wonder if the CSO management is thinking ahead, but from the (very poker-faced) looks of the musicians on stage, I also wonder what they think. That aside, this was a program where I was hearing all the works live for the first time. That the Rouse was new is a given, of course, but it was a surprise to read that the DSCH has never been done on subscription in Chicago, and the Manfred Symphony hadn't been played in Orchestra Hall since 1983.

The DSCH is obviously music to be heard without thinking too much, just basically turning on the orchestra and letting them rip. In the new Rouse concerto, CSO principal trumpet did an excellent job, and the trumpet writing was actually quite mellifluous and well-crafted. The piece as a whole was a bit rhapsodic, but nice enough. It'll be interesting to see if it gets further performances outside of Chicago, perhaps in Baltimore at some point (the most likely place for a second round of performances).

About the Tchaikovsky and the (**) part: the program note stated that the version used in this performance is a version prepared by Evgeny Svetlanov that trims the finale, and reprises the coda of the 1st movement in place of Tchaikovsky's own ending, with organ and all that good stuff. The program note tries to justify this change by saying that the changes are more in keeping with Byron's original. In practice, however, for me at least, the changes didn't work. I would have been quite happy to hear Tchaikovsky's own ending, if only because Tchaikovsky would not simply have repeated the coda from the 1st movement unchanged in the 4th, but mainly because it's not what he wrote. I'd have to listen to one of my recordings to see how much actually got cut in performance, but I have the sense that those "Svetlanov cuts" weren't made, and the 1st movement coda was simply pasted over at the end. The more cynical reason for the CSO doing this might also have been that they avoided having to hire an organist for the evening.

Having said that, the Tchaikovsky was enjoyable enough, well paced, and a treat overall, until that very end. Perhaps the scherzo didn't quite have the light-as-gossamer feel that it should ideally have, but I think that this is the fault of the Orchestra Hall acoustic as much as anything. The hall acoustic has never flattered the string section well, IMHO, but this was one of the richer string section sounds I've ever heard from the CSO. The horn section was also on very fine form, perhaps because Dale Clevenger took the night off and Daniel Gingrich appeared to be leader of the pack there. So ultimately, I'm still waiting to hear Manfred live, as Tchaikovsky wrote it, for the first time. But for now, this will do.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Bernard Labadie: Conductor
      Ian Bostridge: Tenor
      Northern Sinfonia

Three Baroque Tenors

The Northern Sinfonia on fine form with the addition of a harpsichord and theorbo.

Especially good was the admission cost: a last minute BOGOF offer and the cheapest seats (right at the back of level 3) equated to £5 per seat - bargain!

OG

Comment

• Russ_H
        • Mar 2012

Heath Quartet at Sage 2.

Mozart K428
        Berg Op. 3
        Beethoven Op. 59 No.3

Comment

• Demetrius
          • Sep 2011

My Local Orchestra:

Zemlinsky - 3 dances from "Triumph der Zeit"
          Alban Berg - Violin Concerto

Schubert - Symphony No 9

Not sure if they were really comfortable with the Zemlinsky pieces, the music seemed interesting, but the playing was ... slightly off perhaps. Will try to dig this one out for a comparison.
          Berg was excellent, though I didn't really liked it I somehow couldn't concentrate on it ... instead I counted the people under 50 in the audience - 14; actually a high number, though I suspect 5 of them were music students that got in there for free. All in all the audience turnout was abysmal. They could have put everyone in the gallery and used the stalls for ballett dancing after clearing away the seats.

If a good (not brilliant, but good) orchestra and Schubert 9 can't fill more than 50 % of the seats, the whole thing is doomed. They are trying to draw in students with insane discounts (5 Euro flatrate, free pick regarding the seats); The idea is to get the town/county/government not to cut the subsidies by showing that they have a future. But no one comes. In three years, when contracts run out, they will simply end. So will the Opera house belonging to them. And the theatre (including the puppet one). After that, the can basically close down the towns around them.

They really know their Schubert though.
          Last edited by Demetrius; 18-01-13, 02:07. Reason: Used the german 8; meant the english 9, which was published as 7 ah damn, its the Great C major

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Where are you? It wasn't until I got to the '5 Euros' that I twigged you aren't in the UK, although the 'good, but not brilliant, local orchestra' (especially playing something as adventurous as Zemlinsky) should have given me a clue

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Where are you? It wasn't until I got to the '5 Euros' that I twigged you aren't in the UK, although the 'good, but not brilliant, local orchestra' should have given me a clue
              Demetius certainly gives a very dispiriting view of the live scene wherever it is.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

At least he (she?) has a professional local orchestra, at the moment. How many towns (& even cities) in the UK can say the same?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Demetius certainly gives a very dispiriting view of the live scene wherever it is.
                  Altenburg.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

At least he (she?) has a professional local orchestra, at the moment. How many towns (& even cities) in the UK can say the same?
                    Bring back the Hastings Municipal Orchestra and the Harrogate Orchestra!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

The Trowbridge Symphony Orchestra (I kid you not) regularly gives concerts at the Wiltshire Music Centre; and the Brighton Philharmonic likewise at The Dome.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        The Trowbridge Symphony Orchestra (I kid you not) regularly gives concerts at the Wiltshire Music Centre; and the Brighton Philharmonic likewise at The Dome.
                        The Salisbury SO gets decent turn outs and plays some interesting repertoire. There is a way forward here for classical and Orchestral music, outside of the glitzy london scene.....
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                          Bring back the Hastings Municipal Orchestra and the Harrogate Orchestra!
                          Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          The Salisbury SO gets decent turn outs and plays some interesting repertoire. There is a way forward here for classical and Orchestral music, outside of the glitzy london scene.....

I was not knocking amateur orchestras at all (I've conducted five!). No, the Hastings and Harrogate orchestras (and several more) were professional bands, usually seasonal though, that made recordings as well as giving public concerts with the likes of Basil Cameron. The Bournemouth Municipal Orchestra is the only of these one that survives, albeit with a different name.

Comment

• Demetrius
                            • Sep 2011

Altenburg.

Indeed. Though they combined it to Gera/Altenburg (Thuringia, Germany)

and yes, the dire situation doesn't stop them from programming some nonstandard pieces, in fact, they performed the Rott-Symphony last year, which even got some radio exposure.

Jena next door will play Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony in May, btw. Thing is that the population is doing some high-speed shrinking, this area was once one of the most major cultural centres of Germany, in a few years there will only be a shadow of that left. Suhl bulldozered its concert hall, but that town loses about 1000 inhabitants per year (38000 at the Moment, prospect: ca 25000 in 2030, from over 50 20 Years ago). Altenburg looks much the same.
                            Last edited by Demetrius; 18-01-13, 15:45.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

That's an amazing shrinkage rate, Demetrius. Is it through a drop in the birth rate, or emigration from the towns not matching immigration?

Comment

• Demetrius
                                • Sep 2011

Both; many people don't find jobs, they move, they take their children with them; the few children that remain take the bus/train/whatever to leave the dreary areas as soon as they are old enough; what remains are the old, the even older, those who wouldn't find decent jobs elswhere anyway (Uneducated/"Bildungsferne Schichten" + first Generation Immigrants - the second generation is often smart and educated enough to get out) and the social workers to care for the formentioned groups.

Comment

Working...
                                X