X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    The First is just a lovely work. hoping to see Salisbury SO play it next Satuday , along with the Walton Viola Concerto, and Bridge's the Sea.

Edit: funny place for this thread! Also, what a great title the symphony has.Perhaps my favourite title.
    I had the joy of seeing the cycle of Tchaikovsky's Symphonies by Yuri Temirkanov and the St Petersburg Phil in Symphony Hall, Birmingham and it struck me then that No 1 and 3 should be aired more often. I have a number of CDs of No1 including some of the best-known conductors but two I really like are by lesser forces Budapest PO/Saccani and the first LP of it I had PragueSO/Smetacek.

Comment

• Extended Play

The First is just a lovely work. hoping to see Salisbury SO play it next Satuday , along with the Walton Viola Concerto, and Bridge's the Sea.

Edit: funny place for this thread! Also, what a great title the symphony has.Perhaps my favourite title.
      An attractive programme for the concert. Hope it lives up to expectations, ts.

Agree wholeheartedly about the symphony: in spite of the wintry connotations, a heart-warming work. (Btw, why does the title Tchaikovsky gave to the second movement -- Land of Gloom, Land of Mists -- always make me think of Hamish MacCunn?)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Great programme, ts! Should be a lovely evening.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

I love listening to Winter Daydreams on my way to work at this time of year.

It does go down a treat in the concert hall and various CD versions suggest that there is just as much room for interpretation as in the later works.

I have Muti, Rostropovich, Herbert von, Haitink, Marriner, Jurowki and Gergiev.
          Last edited by Alison; 16-11-12, 23:34.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Winter Daydreams is under-rated in the concert hall but please - not the 3rd! a truly terrible work.

The Jurowski WD is superb, no need for any other really, though I also have Karajan.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Great programme, ts! Should be a lovely evening.

Yup really looking forward to it, a programme that does credit to whoever put it together.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I must listen to Winter Daydreams, don't think I've ever knowingly heard it.

But why is this thread under "Announcements" ??
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Last night in Truro, Wihan String Quartet. Ronald Corp Quartet No.3 which, surprisingly, they premiered (how did that happen?); Dvorak op96, Beethoven op131.

That should really have been the end of it but they positively rushed to play an encore, a 4tet arrangement of Paganini Study no 24

My friend and I had rather different views on the concert. We both quite enjoyed the Corp but wouldn't rush to buy a CD. He thought the Dvorak wasn't folksy and exciting enough, where I thought it was nicely laid-back and 'gemutlich'. He liked the Op131, the reason he'd treked to the concert as he's a 131 addict, but I thought it just wasn't wild, mad, highly-contrasted enough, with tempi that didn't really push far enough to extremes - too much seemed to be around andante/moderato. Very well played and integrated certainly, but rather tame, however excellent the playing. Still, he's heard a lot more 131s than I have!

Does anyone hold a view of the Wihan's recordings, esp. their Beethoven? I bought their Dvorak op61/96 at the concert but haven't aired it yet.
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Hoping to get to the repeat of the Halle concert tomorrow. They put on No 1 three or four years ago, paired with Alexander Nevsky. I think it was Alexander Lazarev conducting. I'm very fond of both No 1 and No 2; I wouldn't go so far as Petrushka (post 8), but I certainly don't find it as memorable as the others (and I think I've only heard it live once, in Liverpool around 1990).

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                      • Nov 2010

But why is this thread under "Announcements" ?? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Because I always have difficulty finding 'start a new thread' and when I do, I just write what I want to write. Maybe one of the hosts could put it on the correct forum.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

I'm very fond of Tchaikovsky 3, al least in Dorati's LSO or one of Svetlanov's recordings. But it might have been better named Suite No.5... the three middle movements are just gorgeous.

Svetlanov and Dorati pretty good in No.1 too.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

But why is this thread under "Announcements" ??
                          Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                          Because I always have difficulty finding 'start a new thread' and when I do, I just write what I want to write. Maybe one of the hosts could put it on the correct forum.
                          Sorry - I've messed up the quote above - can't remember who posed the question

Moved (as you can see) on to the thread What was your last concert? which lives on Talking About Music.

When you're on the Homepage, scroll down to find what looks like a suitable board (in this case you might have chosen Performance and started a new thread). There aren't hard and fast rules because while discussion is current the new posts will appear on the What's New? thread which I think most people use anyway.

But there is a 'Last Concert' thread already, so hither Winter Daydreams ...
                          Last edited by french frank; 18-11-12, 19:12.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Had the pleasure of enjoying a lunchtime recital/talk of Ireland's Piano music at Southampton University today. today. I will elaborate if anybody is interested.A very civilised way to spend an hour.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Zauberfloete

I'm lucky enough to be spending a bit of time in Vienna (until the end of the month) and I managed to get a ticket for the Musikverein last night. Orchestra Mozart was conducted by Claudio Abbado:

Schumann - Overture to "Genoveva"
                                Schumann - Symphony No. 2
                                Beethoven - Coriolan Overture
                                Mendelssoh - Symphony No. 3

A lovely programme played by a fine orchestra. Abbado is looking a bit frail these days but he had total control over the players (who clearly loved him). Have to say that I couldn't find a single strong downbeat in the whole concert but everyone managed to stay together. In particular, the first clarinet was excellent - he had a beautiful tone. The tympanist was very young (looked like he'd just left school) but there was a good mixture of youth and age. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening.

The last concert I heard in Blighty was in October at the Purcell Room. Martyn Jackson (violin) and Alison Rhind (piano) played:

Schubert - Violin Sonata in A minor
                                Saint-Saens - Sonata in D Minor
                                R Strauss - Sonata in E flat
                                Saint-Saens - Caprice

Wow!! Martyn Jackson is an exceptionally gifted young violinist (I think he's only about 22) and definitely a name to watch. His technique was unbelievable and he had the audience spellbound. Alison Rhind is a wonderful pianist, too, and they complemented each other very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X