Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Yes agreed, he didn't want to leave us. I found it very moving. I had not seen him conduct for over 25 years and rather stupidly, I expected him not to have changed very much.

BTW, my name is not really Beef Oven, I made it up. I am just pretending that it is my name while I am in this forum. It's a play on words - Josef Haydn.
    I hadn't seen him since 2005 when he conducted a performance at the RFH of Britten's War Requiem which was recorded and is now released on CD.

Britten: War Requiem, Op. 66. LPO: LPO0010. Buy 2 CDs or download online. Christine Brewer (soprano), Anthony Dean Griffey (tenor) & Gerald Finley (baritone) London Philharmonic Orchestra, London Philharmonic Choir & Tiffin Boys’ Choir, Kurt Masur & Neville Creed (chamber orchestra)
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-12, 17:12. Reason: trypos

Comment

• Beef Oven

That must've been a great concert. I get to as many Britten operas as possible, especially at the ENO, but I have never seen the requiem performed. I have the Hickox recording on Chandos and because your post whetted my appetite, I picked up the Britten, Pears et al on Decca two minutes ago from Amazon. Quite a bargain at £6.49! I thought it would be rude not to buy it at that price!
      Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I hadn't seen him since 2005 when he conducted a performance at the RFH of Britten's War Requiem which was recorded and is now released on CD.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/LPO/LPO0010

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Tomorrow night my last concert will have been the Padmore/Lewis Winterreise.

Anyone heard it?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          ..the Padmore/Lewis Winterreise. Anyone heard it?
          Yes, it was probably the highlight of our local music festival last year. Padmore is v v good & Paul is exploring Schubert to great effect hese days. They're back with us for Swanengesang in May and I'll be there.

Enjoy! (..as the forum's New York representative would say)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
            Yes, it was probably the highlight of our local music festival last year.
            What Chipping Campden did last year, Bristol does this year
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

What Chipping Campden did last year, Bristol does this year
              Tomorrow, Chipping Ongar Round House - Hawkwind.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Arcadi Volodos and the Philharmonia conducted by Tugan Sokhiev at the RFH last night. The conductor was new to me, but he got fine playing from the orchestra, and Volodos was excellent. I bumped into an acquaintance who said that Volodos played Brahms as if it was Tchaikovsky, but if so that proved to be an advantage ! Actually, I thought that perhaps he pulled the tempo about a bit in the early stages, but then the performance got into its stride, and the famous slow movement cello solo was gloriously played by Timoth Walden, while Volodos watched admiringly before joining him.

No reservations at all after the interval when we heard a stunning performance of Shostakovich's Eighth. Last September I briefly visited Volgograd, and saw the huge WWII monument there with the enormous statue of Mother Russia brandishing a sword at the sky. In fact the whole city, once Stalingrad, seems like one huge tragic symbol, and so does this wonderful symphony. Terrific playing, especially those haunting wind solos, the cor anglais in particular. I shall certainly look out for this conductor in future, has anybody else seen him, perhaps in the opera house ?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  I shall certainly look out for this conductor in future, has anybody else seen him, perhaps in the opera house ?
                  Good question! He was appointed musical director at the WNO when Carlo Rizzi gave up the first time. Sokhiev was a 20-something and devised an interesting Russian season but walked out and left them in the lurch. I guess he thought he could do better than WNO - and was probably right. But it was a bit shabby, nevertheless. So, no, when the performance I'd booked for arrived he'd already departed

Snow last night - should put everyone in the mood for tonight's Winterreise ...

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

Good question! He was appointed musical director at the WNO when Carlo Rizzi gave up the first time. Sokhiev was a 20-something and devised an interesting Russian season but walked out and left them in the lurch. I guess he thought he could do better than WNO - and was probably right. But it was a bit shabby, nevertheless. So, no, when the performance I'd booked for arrived he'd already departed
                    I think there was significant tension between Sokhiev and the company, ff. As it happens, I saw the Eugene Onegin production that he conducted and didn't think it was bad, musically, but there's no doubt he was inexperienced in conducting non-Russian operatic repertoire. Perhaps it was just a case - as with Welser-Most and the LPO - of the appointment simply coming up too early in his career.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                      Perhaps it was just a case - as with Welser-Most and the LPO - of the appointment simply coming up too early in his career.
                      I think that's a fair way to put it. In fact, the 'blame' (if one wishes to apportion it) perhaps should be put on the WNO administration. Sokhiev is obviously a very talented man who will contribute a lot to international opera and concert life. I was just moved to comment by Ferret's query as to whether anyone had an opinion on his opera work ... . He's now 33 - quite a bit behind him and a lot, one hopes, ahead.

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

I'm glad Sokhiev is now having some success. And it has - eventually - turned out well for WNO also, as their current music director Lothar Koenigs is imo the best they have had since Charles Mackerras in the late 1980s. And to keep (vaguely) on topic, my next 'concert' will be WNO's Beatrice & Benedict at Cardiff in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          my next 'concert' will be WNO's Beatrice & Benedict at Cardiff in a couple of weeks.
                          And what Cardiff does in a couple of weeks' time, Bristol will do in April. I booked it so long ago, I hope I haven't lost my ticket.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

And what Cardiff does in a couple of weeks' time, Bristol will do in April. I booked it so long ago, I hope I haven't lost my ticket.
                            And a lovely production it is

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Tomorrow night my last concert will have been the Padmore/Lewis Winterreise.

Anyone heard it?
                              I heard them last night in Southampton and thought them superb. Mark Padmore has a beautiful voice and the most wonderful colour and control. It's the first Lieder recital I've attended so I can only compare it with my memory of my long-not-played Fischer-Dieskau LP. I was very moved by their performance. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, ff.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, ff.
                                I'm sure I shall if I get there - I'm still waiting for a BT man to come and change my modem for some reason. He's very late

I missed Padmore/Lewis performing Die Schöne Müllerin at St George's last June. Pleasing to think of the building dating from exactly the same period as the poet and the composer. Unfortunately, I think I'm behind a pillar as it was almost sold out when I booked two days ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X