X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Did they do the same programme twice? It was broadcast live (according to the schedule) on Tuesday night.
    Yes. They often do this when recording for LSO Live. The programme stated that both the Haydn and Nielsen are to be released in due course.

Next week's concert of the Emporer and Espansiva is also being given twice.

This is apparently the first time that Sir Colin has conducted Nielsen; he seems to have taken to it like a duck to water and I have enjoyed his and the LSO's performances of all the symphonies so far. I too am looking forward to the Espansiva next week. Does anyone remember the marvellous Bernstein performance of this with the NYPO on CBS?
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Last concert was Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings at the Sage Gateshead, ably assisted by Mary Wilson (of Supremes fame). That was an excellent gig.

I am also greatly looking forward to the Tallis Scholars - again at the Sage.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

LHC

I was listening recently to a recording of the Espansiva by Paavo Berglund and the Danish RSO, and it served to show the difference between a very good conductor and a great one. Berglund's general approach and tempi were very similar to the Bernstein recording that I still treasure, but Bernstein is electrifying in a way that Berglund for all his virtues cannot match. I know that Bernstein could be erratic, but at his best he was without peer.
        Bws.
        Ferret

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I've just bought the huge Bernstein Symphony box on which it is CD42 so I haven't got there yet. Thanks for whetting my appetite.

(I took the plunge with a real bargain purchase at Amazon.de
          http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003Z9Q4WG)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            LHC

I was listening recently to a recording of the Espansiva by Paavo Berglund and the Danish RSO, and it served to show the difference between a very good conductor and a great one. Berglund's general approach and tempi were very similar to the Bernstein recording that I still treasure, but Bernstein is electrifying in a way that Berglund for all his virtues cannot match. I know that Bernstein could be erratic, but at his best he was without peer.
            Bws.
            Ferret
            (Go on, gurny! Skip to CD42: you know you want to! )
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I've just bought the huge Bernstein Symphony box on which it is CD42 so I haven't got there yet. Thanks for whetting my appetite.

Crikey that IS a bargain, gurnemanz - did you have to pay additional postage at that price?

Oh my poor aching plastic

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                LHC

Bws.
                Ferret
                I got the CD of Nielsen's 3rd and 5th with Bernstein when it was first released on CD in the US. You couldn't get it over here, but I know someone who worked for CBS who was able to get hold of a copy. It was and is an electrifying performance and that CD is now one of my most treasured.

I had always been somewhat ambivalent towards Bernstein, but that disc convinced me of his genius. I'd recommend it to anyone.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Tomorrow the last concert I had gone to would have been the BBCSSO doing Bluebeard's Castle tonight - but I've just had an email saying that it's been cancelled because of the weather conditions

They say that people with tickets can use tonight's ticket for another concert. No mention of refunds though - I included all the concerts I wanted to got to in my subscription booking.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Crikey that IS a bargain, gurnemanz - did you have to pay additional postage at that price?

Oh my poor aching plastic
                    Postage is 6 Euro. The final price in sterling was £68.86. Cheaper than any British vendor I found (Amazon.uk, £89.99)
                    It has unusual LP-sized packaging which for me is totally impractical. I have taken all the individual CDs out and put them in a CD-sized rack for better access.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Does anyone know if that Bernstein set (from amazon.de) is the same or very similar to the one I tried to order very unsuccessfully from amazon UK at the end of last year? Amazon UK kept my order for a while, then said they couldn't get it, though I had to prompt them. They claimed to have sent me an email, but I never found it. I was prepared to pay the full price, then around £70-£80, so if this is the same or similar, and available, I'll go for it, and ask Santa to deliver it. Is there a CD list?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Getting rather off-topic here, aren't we? Perhaps the discussion could continue on the 'Bargains' thread on the CD Review board

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Not so much a concert as a gig. Notes inégal at Club Inégal. Regretably I had to leave just before the final set to get my last bus home. They are there again on the 20th. Highly recommended.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Thursday night at the Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool - RLPO and Petrenko in Mahler Symphony No.9.

A truly great Ninth, one of the greatest I've heard. But it always seems to inspire its performers, and it's a lucky symphony on record too.

Simply - unforgettable. No more words now.
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-12-11, 02:40.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Getting rather off-topic here, aren't we? Perhaps the discussion could continue on the 'Bargains' thread on the CD Review board
                              Sorry about that, though I'd still like to know.

Last concert was Colin Davis - Barbican, Haydn 98, Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto and Nielsen Symphony 2. The Nielsen was stunning and superb.

Previous to that was the Lawson Piano Trio, playing Mozart's KV 564 Piano Trio in G, Debussy's early piano trio, with Brahms' Op 8 Trio after the interval. They also played a new piece by David Knott called The Long Way Home.
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 10-12-11, 00:22. Reason: 98 not 88!

Comment

• amateur51

Postage is 6 Euro. The final price in sterling was £68.86. Cheaper than any British vendor I found (Amazon.uk, £89.99)
                                It has unusual LP-sized packaging which for me is totally impractical. I have taken all the individual CDs out and put them in a CD-sized rack for better access.
                                Many thanks, gurnemanz!

Comment

Working...
                                X