X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I've not long got back home after a stay over in Bangor, wherein I attended the second and final day of the Bangor Music Festival. The main draw for me was the presence of maestros Richard Barrett and Milana Zaric, though I also thought it would be nice to go back to Bangor where I got my music degree; Bangor I think has a special kind of atmosphere cut off, as it were, from elsewhere by the presence of rows of mountains which I think gives it its own microclimate. The festival, whose theme this year was improvisation, took place in a building called Pontio which wasn't there when I was a student, and which is very impressive. I watched and listened to a couple of concerts involving students, the latter of which included Barrett conducting his Codex XV (which was recorded for later broadcast on R3) and some student compositions, all based to more or less degrees of improv. After this I attended a free improvisation workshop which was interesting, putting aside my contribution (which was compromised, I felt, by a still under-developed right-hand technique which I am of course working hard to rectify!) it was interesting to play with a couple of electric guitarists (mine was steel-string acoustic) who had brought with them an array of effects pedals and one of whom had quite an impressively developed right-hand technique, as well as another acoustic guitarist (the guy, Phil Morton, actually running this workshop) though who played with some unorthodox techniques and implements (including a bow) a clarinettist and a few percussionists. All-in-all, quite fun. Then, following a Q & A and reception was the main evening concert. The setting for this I would say was close-to-ideal, or at least very splendid owing to the immersive quality of being surrounded by speakers, enabling the spatial elements of the music to be appreciated all the more. I was deeply impressed by the opening number, Barrett & Zaric's Mirage, whose improvisational elements I appreciated all the more for being very familiar with the version on the eponymous album. Other highlights included the world premiere of Barrett's electronic piece outsider, perhaps the piece where the spatial element was exploited the most, and Sara Pinheiro's Reticências where the listener is invited to appreciate the sensuousness of sounds derived from a broken radio. Barrett's concluding tendril came off nicely (some problems perhaps only noticed by the performers themselves notwithstanding ) and was accompanied by some nice video-art courtesy of Biljana Djurdjević (again exploiting the size of the venue, being projected on the large back wall) which tied in nicely with the themes/inspirations (of forests and nature) of the piece and the larger work from which it comes - close-up. And afterwards we all went to the pub - I was very happy, having not had chance to get any dinner before the evening concert, that this pub sold food until 11! (I am not sure it did when I was a student). And so that was fun, hanging out with various maestros and having the opportunity to chat with Richard B. Today, I was led to believe that the train-replacement bus was leaving at 10:20 so I went to go at around 9:10 to check out what was happening at the train station (en route bumping into and chatting with my old composition lecturer Andrew Lewis) with the idea in mind to kill the time by taking an amble around the various nice places in Bangor, to soak up its special atmosphere - however when I got there there was already a bus there waiting and I decided to get on it for some reason; I suppose it does after all take around four hours to get from Bangor to Redditch. I was considering getting off the bus to take my walk but in the end I didn't... I was in two minds about that really, for the reasons given, and because of this I felt suffused with a sort of melancholy nostalgia travelling back along the North Wales coast, with its completely beautiful scenery and coastline, having not taken my walk. It was cloudy in Bangor, those low clouds that cover the peaks of the enveloping mountains, but fortunately that melancholy nostalgia I shrugged off by the really nice sunny weather as I walked back from the train station in Redditch.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
      • Dec 2022

I went to a prom, the wife got free tickets via work.
      Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Fantastic report on your weekend, JK. It sounds as though you had a terrific time, and a great visit back to your old Uni.
        Definitely makes me wish I could have experienced the weekend.
        Never been to Bangor, although I love Wales, and have had a number of wonderful holidays there, including a brief visit to a concert at a much less cutting edge music festival at Aberystwyth Uni !!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Good to hear that R3 were there to capture some of RBs music.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Fantastic report on your weekend, JK. It sounds as though you had a terrific time, and a great visit back to your old Uni.
          Definitely makes me wish I could have experienced the weekend.
          Never been to Bangor, although I love Wales, and have had a number of wonderful holidays there, including a brief visit to a concert at a much less cutting edge music festival at Aberystwyth Uni !!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Good to hear that R3 were there to capture some of RBs music.
          Thanks, TS! You're welcome.

Comment

• alywin
            • Apr 2011

Thomas Adès conducting the LPO in Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and two of his own works: Tempest Symphony and Inferno Suite. Great concert. The mikes were out, so keep an eye out for it on the radio or online.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by alywin View Post
              Thomas Adès conducting the LPO in Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and two of his own works: Tempest Symphony and Inferno Suite. Great concert. The mikes were out, so keep an eye out for it on the radio or online.
              Times review:

Battered by wild storms, stung by wasps, suspended in ice, almost eaten by snakes: we hardly got out alive from the composer-conductor Thomas Adès’s tumultuous concert with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. If the illustrative music on display wasn’t vivid enough, further attack came from Adès’s exceedingly physical podium manner

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I rarely get to live orchestral concerts so particularly enjoyed the BBC4 broadcast by the BBCSO and Ryan Wigglesworth on Sunday night. Poemes pour Mi and Daphnis made a great programme that showed off orchestra and conductor extremely well, quite something in fact. This promises to be a terrific artistic combination.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  I rarely get to live orchestral concerts so particularly enjoyed the BBC4 broadcast by the BBCSO and Ryan Wigglesworth on Sunday night. Poemes pour Mi and Daphnis made a great programme that showed off orchestra and conductor extremely well, quite something in fact. This promises to be a terrific artistic combination.
                  Indeed. It's just a pity the audio was so relatively poor compared to the Radio 3 broadcast of the concert, last September. Only 40% as much data was devoted to the sound, compared to the latter. Why does the BBC have such relative disdain for television audio quality?

Comment

• alywin
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Thanks.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Ebene Quartet at the Wigmore Hall.

60th birthday trip to London for Mrs. PG and me.

Absolutely fantastic playing in a wonderful venue! (The acoustics are superb!)

Very full audience with lots of enthusiastic young people.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2007

Last night in Worksop, Benjamin Frith playing Field, Chopin and Mendelssohn. A fantastic concert all round in a super venue (Worksop college), organised by my partner as a surprise 50th birthday present for me.
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

On Coronation Day: LPO & Choir/Edward Gardner at the RFH. I went mainly to hear Janacek's Glagolitic Mass, which I have known for many years and which I sang in that very hall with the LSO more than 50 years ago. However, I had never heard a live performance.

What a thrill! I savoured every note and earworms stayed in my head for days. Of the soloists, I thought Sara Jakubiak (soprano) the best - a real Slavic voice but without wobble. The other voices didn't carry nearly as well, at least to row 3 of the balcony.

We also had Tippett's Suite for the Birthday of Prince Charles which I hardly know but found very engaging, and Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor with the excellent Alina Ibragimova.

A memorable evening.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                            On Coronation Day: LPO & Choir/Edward Gardner at the RFH. I went mainly to hear Janacek's Glagolitic Mass, which I have known for many years and which I sang in that very hall with the LSO more than 50 years ago. However, I had never heard a live performance.

What a thrill! I savoured every note and earworms stayed in my head for days. Of the soloists, I thought Sara Jakubiak (soprano) the best - a real Slavic voice but without wobble. The other voices didn't carry nearly as well, at least to row 3 of the balcony.

We also had Tippett's Suite for the Birthday of Prince Charles which I hardly know but found very engaging, and Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor with the excellent Alina Ibragimova.

A memorable evening.
                            Which version of the Glagolitic Mass did they perform, one of the two editions of the original or the more commonly heard revised version?

Comment

• rauschwerk
                              • Nov 2010

The revised version, which suited me fine.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post

A memorable evening.
                                Glad you enjoyed it Rauschie. I had to drop out of bellowing in that one due to various logistical problems, partly coronation-linked and partly due to the generally poor and unreliable service offered by South West railways; concerts take a lot of planning when you're in the sticks! I did manage the Shostakovich 13 with the LSO and Noseda recently though.

Comment

Working...
                                X